Department of Health inspector job

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SCRph2014

Reaction score
So I have an interview scheduled for next week to work for the state department of health as a pharmacy inspector. They function as sort of a state specific DEA and do controlled substance inspections on pharmacies and help in investigations (theft, diversion, fake scripts, etc). The job itself requires a 3 month enrollment to the level 1 law enforcement academy before even starting. Does anyone have any experience in this branch of pharmacy? It's not something I would have imagined potentially working for 5 years ago (didn't even know a pharmacist would be qualified to work it tbh), but it would certainly be a more secure gig than the 32 hr/week small grocery chain position I have now.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 2 users
Are you expecting to make "pharmacist money"?

Reactions: 1 user

Eh, the government benefits (ie pension) may make up for the loss of straight salary.

OP, I have never heard of this kind of job, but it certain sounds interesting.

Members don't see this ad :)
In my state these jobs pay too little for me to consider them, if they paid something like $80,000 I would be happy to try it out.

It's actually a small (menial) pay raise for me, though technically a drop in hourly rate due to being upped to 40 hours per week. I make fine with what I make now, just looking for more long term security

In my state these jobs pay too little for me to consider them, if they paid something like $80,000 I would be happy to try it out.
I was quoted at $90k before completing the secondary application, before they even requested the interview

So I have an interview scheduled for next week to work for the state department of health as a pharmacy inspector. They function as sort of a state specific DEA and do controlled substance inspections on pharmacies and help in investigations (theft, diversion, fake scripts, etc). The job itself requires a 3 month enrollment to the level 1 law enforcement academy before even starting. Does anyone have any experience in this branch of pharmacy? It's not something I would have imagined potentially working for 5 years ago (didn't even know a pharmacist would be qualified to work it tbh), but it would certainly be a more secure gig than the 32 hr/week small grocery chain position I have now.

The beastie boys made a recruitment video for this job:

Depending on cost of living where this job is located, I'd totally go for it. $90k plus govt bennies? Is there a pension, too?
South Carolina, living fine off my $87k base salary. Not sure about benefits-- that'll be more an after interview, if there is an offer discussion.