Diagnosed with Hypothyroidism -- Delay Step 1?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

OntheRoad93

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone, I'm an M2 with a couple weeks left before we start a 6 week dedicated period. I had been planning on taking Step 1 in late April, but this morning I was diagnosed with hypothyroidism after months of lethargy, memory problems, and complete lack of motivation.
This has certainly affected my preparation for step, but I have still done ok in classes. We've taken two NBME section exams (cardio/pulm/renal and msk/derm/endo) and got 79 and 74 respectively. I have not taken any full length practice tests, but we are scheduled to take the CBSE next week.
Because of how long it can take for psych symptoms to subside (weeks to months), should I strongly consider delaying step? (I hope to enter general surgery)

Members don't see this ad.

Hi everyone, I'm an M2 with a couple weeks left before we start a 6 week dedicated period. I had been planning on taking Step 1 in late April, but this morning I was diagnosed with hypothyroidism after months of lethargy, memory problems, and complete lack of motivation.
This has certainly affected my preparation for step, but I have still done ok in classes. We've taken two NBME section exams (cardio/pulm/renal and msk/derm/endo) and got 79 and 74 respectively. I have not taken any full length practice tests, but we are scheduled to take the CBSE next week.
Because of how long it can take for psych symptoms to subside (weeks to months), should I strongly consider delaying step? (I hope to enter general surgery)

I got 240s on my steps with extreme hypothyroidism. No excuses.

I got 240s on my steps with extreme hypothyroidism. No excuses.
Good to hear that it's surmountable! Thank you for your comment.
Currently, I do not have the concentration to focus on work for more than a few minutes at a time. This is extremely atypical for me. Being honest with myself, it is hard to imagine me overcoming this brain fog with sheer willpower alone in order to study adequately enough during dedicated.
How soon after initiating treatment did you notice psych improvements?

Members don't see this ad :)

I'd delay step just for extra study time, unrelated to your hypothyroidism. What's the logic behind taking it in April and not June/July?

Reactions: 1 user
I'd delay step just for extra study time, unrelated to your hypothyroidism. What's the logic behind taking it in April and not June/July?
We start 3rd year late April

Good to hear that it's surmountable! Thank you for your comment.
Currently, I do not have the concentration to focus on work for more than a few minutes at a time. This is extremely atypical for me. Being honest with myself, it is hard to imagine me overcoming this brain fog with sheer willpower alone in order to study adequately enough during dedicated.
How soon after initiating treatment did you notice psych improvements?

I had the exact same problems and no doctor would give me adderral knowing I was a medical student. The willpower is part of the battle. If you fail that you fail medical school. I never noticed improvements other than not sleeping all day long. I tritated my medication up to 200mcg and the concentration problems did not change.

Any other opinions? No offence, but JamaicanHerb's comment history makes me take his opinion with a grain of salt.

Reactions: 1 user
I had untreated hypothyroidism for step 1. Got treated before step 2. Went up like 40 percentile on my score. I wrote about it on my app but I got way less interviews. I think most programs basically sort by step 1 to offer interviews and either didn't read mine or didn't care. I would definitely delay if your score isint looking as good as you want. Still matched though :)

I noticed decent improvements after a few weeks. Probably after few months I'd say I hit my New baseline.
Wow! That's quite an improvement. Thank you for sharing your experience. My TSH was 11.2 and was found from routine labs that I got while receiving treatment for what I assumed was depression. 11.2 was a high enough value to make my physician seem quite concerned.
I can't wait to feel normal again. When I study nowadays, I cannot concentrate for more than a few minutes and I seem to forget more and more, which is a scary feeling both because of Step 1 but also because it of how it has started affecting my ability to remember basic conversations I have with my family and girlfriend.

Any other opinions? No offence, but JamaicanHerb's comment history makes me take his opinion with a grain of salt.

I looked through and didn't see anything to suggest that he or she's a bad person and I don't think the advice is unreliable. He or she may have done something once or twice as a young adult that was not advisable but nothing to say that their advice is unreliable. I'm sure they're just endorsing the tough love approach.

I personally delayed for the reason that I needed more time. I delayed a clerkship and I achieved a score I wanted. I had mild depression/anxiety/mood issues that I have never really sought professional help for and second year wasn't the best year so I needed some time to just recollect the information and learn it well. I do not regret taking more time because on rotations, there are certain topics I know very well now because of the time I spent learning what I should have learnt as a second year if I was happier and more inclined to study each day.

Take time if you need it. There's some people who will say it's a problem because your app will be scrutinized but I don't really see it as an issue. You took a little more time to study and you cut vacation time 4th year. It's not like you repeated a year or anything. Just make sure you have a strong repeat showing on Step 2 so the Step 1 score is never called into question.

Reactions: 1 users