diagnostic equipments

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lane113

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know a good website to buy diagnostic equipments, such as stethoscope and otoscope, that we need for clinical medicine?

Members don't see this ad.

Does anyone know a good website to buy diagnostic equipments, such as stethoscope and otoscope, that we need for clinical medicine?

I got my oto/ophthalmoscope on eBay for $400, saved me some money. I got my stethoscope many years ago from allheart.com but probably didn't save any money. I'd go with eBay again now if I didn't already have one.

Cheap stuff like reflex hammers, tuning forks, penlights, trauma scissors and such I just bought at the bookstore.

I have an oto/optho scope from med school that was hardly used, that I would be willing to sell. PM me if you are interestd. It is the classic set from Welchallyn with the recharageable handle. It is in excellent condition being that I only really used it during physical diagnosis class and once or twice to look into my son's ear.

Members don't see this ad :)

the upcoming SOMA sales day has decent prices. BUt don't get suckered in to buying any of the expensive opthalmoscopes etc (the panoptic) sure, its cool. But most of the hospitals aren't going to have it so you would have needed to learn on the traditional one anyways. Thus, get the traditional one.

You dont need one of those tremendous stethescopes either. Littman classic SE will do just fine. Remember that sales day IS a sales day. Imagine walking into a used car lot. Its like that but to a lesser degree.

I bought my welch allyn pocket oto/ophthalmoscopes from ebay at about $140 for both. If I was more patient, I could have gotten both for $75-100.

Guys please don't be the suckers that pay $300-600 for these things. Donate the extra money you'd be throwing away to your local charity instead.

Dont buy any otoscopes or opthalmoscopes you'll never use them after physical diagnosiss lab. I have the pan optic and it is singularly the most expensive paper weight I own. As far as stethoscopes...the longer the scope the better. You'll really appriciate being able to listen to Heart/Lungs/Belly at arms lenghth when you are rounding at 5:00am in the morning or when you have to do a PE on drunk in the ED.