DICK VET c/o 2014 & 15

Started by flyhi
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Does anyone know what vaccinations we need to have, and when we have to have them done by? I know we need rabies, but do we need to be done with the series before we enter in the fall?
No vaccines needed for Britain. They don't have Rabies. You can get the series done here for free through the uni health service if you're going overseas to see practice. Meningitis C or something is recommended by the university, but not required.
 
No vaccines needed for Britain. They don't have Rabies. You can get the series done here for free through the uni health service if you're going overseas to see practice. Meningitis C or something is recommended by the university, but not required.

You'll need a TB test done too...but you can opt out of the vaccine.

Oh and tetanus... that's good one.
 
ok thanks. and I wanted to know how easy it is to get a significant other a visa. He plans on working, but we are worried that since we aren't married or engaged currently and since we haven't lived together for the last two years that this maybe really hard to do. if anyone has any good websites to help. i'd be thankful.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I also wanted to know if you guys knew whats going on with the loans? I filled out FAFSA in january so I have that step done. Do you know how much the US government will fund, and how much I should take out each year. I'm trying to fill out the financial guarantee and wasn't sure what to put down as my sources of financial support. It looks like i'm totally relying on loans since my parents definitely can't afford to help, but i will have my BF to help pay for rent and food.

Ugh im so lost. 😕 Im trying really hard to get all the paperwork in and figure out how and when im going to scotland but it's a lot of stuff and finals are coming up so im going crazy
 
I also wanted to know if you guys knew whats going on with the loans? I filled out FAFSA in january so I have that step done. Do you know how much the US government will fund, and how much I should take out each year. I'm trying to fill out the financial guarantee and wasn't sure what to put down as my sources of financial support. It looks like i'm totally relying on loans since my parents definitely can't afford to help, but i will have my BF to help pay for rent and food.

Ugh im so lost. 😕 Im trying really hard to get all the paperwork in and figure out how and when im going to scotland but it's a lot of stuff and finals are coming up so im going crazy

We just have to wait on the loans until the guys in the financial aid office in Edinburgh get their training in May or June. We will hear more after that. You have done the only step you can do up to this point, which is the FAFSA. As far as your financial guarantee goes, I just put down that the US Government will be financing my education through direct student loans.

Hope that helps.
 
No vaccines needed for Britain. They don't have Rabies. You can get the series done here for free through the uni health service if you're going overseas to see practice. Meningitis C or something is recommended by the university, but not required.

No rabies in Britain? Does that mean they don't vaccinate cats and dogs against it?
 
Answered you on Facebook, but I'll answer here too in case anyone else is wondering. They do vaccinate against rabies. Part of the DEFRA stuff to get your animal across the pond requires you to update the rabies vaccination when it is due. If in your records you bring over, the vet said the vaccine is good for 1 year or 3 years, then it must be updated whenever it's due.
 
ok thanks. and I wanted to know how easy it is to get a significant other a visa. He plans on working, but we are worried that since we aren't married or engaged currently and since we haven't lived together for the last two years that this maybe really hard to do. if anyone has any good websites to help. i'd be thankful.

So I can't really offer too much help here, but I do know that it is really hard to get a visa for a SO without a job set up... I know someone who was trying to follow her SO when he moved to London for school but she's stuck here because she can't get her visa. I think maybe if your SO has a job set up in advance that it would be easier but I could be totally wrong.
 
Answered you on Facebook, but I'll answer here too in case anyone else is wondering. They do vaccinate against rabies. Part of the DEFRA stuff to get your animal across the pond requires you to update the rabies vaccination when it is due. If in your records you bring over, the vet said the vaccine is good for 1 year or 3 years, then it must be updated whenever it's due.


I thought they did this for the same reasons Hawai'i does-- they've managed to go this long without rabies so they're taking every precaution to not have rabies in the future. I didn't know they actually had people keep up with the vaccinations after they lived there! interesting...
 
Also has anyone who put in a late application got anything back? I expected a quick rejection, however I'm just curious as I haven't gotten a single email in about a month? Are they waiting until everyone's decisions are made until they try to fill some of the spots?
 
Last fall STV filmed a TV series about pets at the vet school. It starts next week. Here's the site: http://programmes.stv.tv/vet-school/

BTW pets in the UK are not routinely vaccinated for rabies or treated for heartworm unless they plan to travel on the pet passport scheme.
 
Huh... good to know. Thanks for clearing that up! I just assumed off of the DEFRA requirements.

I think that just must be for incoming pets. The ones that are already there are not being exposed so there is no need to vaccinate. Interesting.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Gah, I have to wait until I my spring classes finish before I get an unconditional firm. So mid-May for me.

Anyone else watch "Vet School"?
 
Gah, I have to wait until I my spring classes finish before I get an unconditional firm. So mid-May for me.

Anyone else watch "Vet School"?

I graduate on May 2nd so I have to wait too wolfcats. The suspence is killing me. Oh, Chii Chan, to be in your shoes.
 
😀

At least you Alaskans get out of school earlier than the rest of the country! 😛

I have no motivation for my physics class since it literally doesn't matter anymore. Yet I want my A... By chance does that count for anything?
 
My final is on Thurs but wont know my grade until the 29th. Cant wait to send in that final transcript and await the results!:luck:
 
It is sad. My classes end the week of May 10. Grades wont be released until 1 week later. Then on top of that, I don't know how long it will take the transcripts to mail. Is there any other reason, beyond the visa letter, that we need unconditional firm?
 
It is sad. My classes end the week of May 10. Grades wont be released until 1 week later. Then on top of that, I don't know how long it will take the transcripts to mail. Is there any other reason, beyond the visa letter, that we need unconditional firm?

Opening a bank account...
 
The information on this section of the scholarships website is correct as of April 2010 and only applies to the current session (2009/10). Changes in Federal Aid for the 2010/11 academic session have now been approved by Congress and the University of Edinburgh is currently waiting to receive further information from the US Department of Education on the William D Ford Direct Loan Program. We will post an update on the application procedure and what you need to submit for your loan to be considered as soon as this information becomes available from the US Department of Education. Should you have any queries please feel free to contact us ([email protected])


In case anyone hadn't been stalking the website like I have been, they updated the scholarship and student aid website. Looks like they are getting their act together and hopefully will be able to process our loans before next year (next decade!).

I paid my deposit and sent in my financial guarantee. After you do that you need to get a copy of your passport info to send to them so they can get your VISA letter all squared away after you go unconditional firm. I graduate on May 2nd so I should be headed that way soon!

Just updating you peeps
 
I just paid my deposit to hold my spot, and will be sending my financial guarantee form this week.

Yup, as of right now it looks like I'm probably going to be a Dick vet in the fall. I'm absolutely numb with terror and excitement! :scared: Unless something changes with Tufts' waitlist or my file review tells me something vital and easy to fix, I think I'll be making arrangements to ship myself and my kitties over soon.
(And before anyone says it, the DEFRA stuff is already taken care of and their rabies titers are completed as of several months ago! 😀 )
 
The information on this section of the scholarships website is correct as of April 2010 and only applies to the current session (2009/10). Changes in Federal Aid for the 2010/11 academic session have now been approved by Congress and the University of Edinburgh is currently waiting to receive further information from the US Department of Education on the William D Ford Direct Loan Program. We will post an update on the application procedure and what you need to submit for your loan to be considered as soon as this information becomes available from the US Department of Education. Should you have any queries please feel free to contact us ([email protected])


In case anyone hadn't been stalking the website like I have been, they updated the scholarship and student aid website. Looks like they are getting their act together and hopefully will be able to process our loans before next year (next decade!).

I paid my deposit and sent in my financial guarantee. After you do that you need to get a copy of your passport info to send to them so they can get your VISA letter all squared away after you go unconditional firm. I graduate on May 2nd so I should be headed that way soon!

Just updating you peeps

Thanks! I hadn't checked in a few weeks. I thought they would have decided closer to May. 🙂

I just paid my deposit to hold my spot, and will be sending my financial guarantee form this week.

Yup, as of right now it looks like I'm probably going to be a Dick vet in the fall. I'm absolutely numb with terror and excitement! :scared: Unless something changes with Tufts' waitlist or my file review tells me something vital and easy to fix, I think I'll be making arrangements to ship myself and my kitties over soon.
(And before anyone says it, the DEFRA stuff is already taken care of and their rabies titers are completed as of several months ago! 😀 )

Yay! Congrats! Are you a GEP or non-GEP student?
 
Yay Whyevernot! I am happy anyways, even though i do hope you get into Tufts, if that is what you really want
 
Got my Visa letter via email two days ago!! Apparently the process has changed a bit - uni says they used to want you to have the hard copy with letterhead, but now they believe you only need the email with the CAS number. They do DHL the hard copy as well. I haven't received it yet.

Going to the embassy in DC next week to plead my case to extend my visa 30 days, so i can arrive early. I'll let you all know how it goes.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I thought you were GEP? 😕

Nope - I'll be there for the next 5 years. They asked me what I wanted to be considered for, and I think the 5 year program sounds like a better fit.

Tufts' class is full, so unless something magically opens up and they offer me a spot really soon, I think I'd rather come to Edinburgh than stay here and re-apply in the states. I'm doing a file review with them anyways next week,
 
Last edited:
Going to the embassy in DC next week to plead my case to extend my visa 30 days, so i can arrive early. I'll let you all know how it goes.

Good luck, Flyhi! I'm pullin' for ya!

Whyevernot, I'm glad to hear you'll be coming but I'm sorry about Tufts.

I got an "impotant information" email from Victoriia today. Yeah, finally things are moving forward. I just want to hurry up and get that unconditional firm. Just gotta get through finals this week.
 
Yea I also got that "important info" email but Victoria sent me the GEP version and not the non-GEP version. lol oh well!

I just took my last final yesterday! I'm done with school in the US! woot! Now its a waiting game till next thurs for my grades to be posted up and will know for sure if I made through the conditional offer! ::starts biting nails::

Flyhi: Goodluck in resolving the issue in DC!

Whyever: yay classmates!! and sorry to hear about Tufts 🙁
 
Thanks guys. 🙂 I just want to have the decision made so I can start PLANNING!

And get through the last two weeks of school. TERRIFIED of not making the B in my O-chem II class!
 
I just took my last final yesterday! I'm done with school in the US! woot! Now its a waiting game till next thurs for my grades to be posted up and will know for sure if I made through the conditional offer! ::starts biting nails::

That is great to hear! 👍 I am so jealous though. I have two finals on Wednesday. This is just agonizing. Patience is a virtue they say...but I am tired of being virtuous.
 
Whyever I know exactly how you feel. My final was on Ochem 2 as well. UGH come on B or higher!
 
Whyever I know exactly how you feel. My final was on Ochem 2 as well. UGH come on B or higher!

I BOMBED our second O-chem exam (whoops) last week. Our final is the second week of May, and we're supposed to have one more exam between now and then! He'll drop one test grade, so I've got to do well on the next one. And complete 3 projects from my Parasite lab and lecture, take another test in that lecture, and finals in both lab and lecture! ACK! All while working full time, a visit from my mother next weekend, and prepping my horse for the next show. Which is the weekend before finals.

And eventually I need to start organizing for moving. You know. Theoretically. 🙄 Can you say overwhelmed!?
 
I BOMBED our second O-chem exam (whoops) last week. Our final is the second week of May, and we're supposed to have one more exam between now and then! He'll drop one test grade, so I've got to do well on the next one. And complete 3 projects from my Parasite lab and lecture, take another test in that lecture, and finals in both lab and lecture! ACK! All while working full time, a visit from my mother next weekend, and prepping my horse for the next show. Which is the weekend before finals.

And eventually I need to start organizing for moving. You know. Theoretically. 🙄 Can you say overwhelmed!?

YOU CAN DO IT :banana: GOOD LUCK :luck::luck::luck::luck:
 
Thanks Flyhi! I have spent the entire weekend working on parasitology - now time for o-chem.

This is probably going to come out sounding stupid, but what about summers in between classes? Our visas will allow us to stay there, yes? Does anyone know if we are able to work at all - I remember hearing 20 hours a week mentioned during the reception in NYC.
I seems like we'll be doing EMS hours most of the summer, but I'd like to be able to make a little money too. And flying home for the summers seems pretty silly.
Anyone know?
 
Thanks Flyhi! I have spent the entire weekend working on parasitology - now time for o-chem.

This is probably going to come out sounding stupid, but what about summers in between classes? Our visas will allow us to stay there, yes? Does anyone know if we are able to work at all - I remember hearing 20 hours a week mentioned during the reception in NYC.
I seems like we'll be doing EMS hours most of the summer, but I'd like to be able to make a little money too. And flying home for the summers seems pretty silly.
Anyone know?

I know a friend that is over there doing her Masters in Psychology. She won't be coming back to the States for the summer cuz she found a job working as receptionist in Pollock Halls. So yea, our visas allow us to stay there and get jobs. I'll also be doing the majority of my EMS during the summers either in the UK or Spain.
 
i BELIEVE we can work 20 hrs during school and FT if we are not in school during breaks, etc. I think you may find you still have a lot of time even after EMS if you are planning on staying throughout the year (which i am as well). Just pulling from something i think i read, so not quite certain. I figure it isn't changing my mind at this point, so i will just deal with whatever they allow and something i will investigate once i get there.
 
i BELIEVE we can work 20 hrs during school and FT if we are not in school during breaks, etc. I think you may find you still have a lot of time even after EMS if you are planning on staying throughout the year (which i am as well). Just pulling from something i think i read, so not quite certain. I figure it isn't changing my mind at this point, so i will just deal with whatever they allow and something i will investigate once i get there.
I remember them saying that too, flyhi. I also remember them saying that it would be ridiculous and nearly impossible for us to work more than that many hours during school. 😛
 
I remember them saying that too, flyhi. I also remember them saying that it would be ridiculous and nearly impossible for us to work more than that many hours during school. 😛

Yeah, DEFINITELY not planning on doing the 20 hours during school! 😀 I've worked full time my entire college career, so not having that will be lovely. I thought I remembered 20 hours, but I'm glad y'all could confirm that. I'm at least hoping to be able to make a little money in the summers!
 
So I tried to pay the deposit the other day, and i guess since its international my bank thought it was fraud lol. I guess I should just go to the bank to straighten it out. Ugh did anyone else have this same problem?
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I called my bank ahead of time and told them what I was doing so they didn't put a hold on the payment
 
Hmmm... I feel like I should be concerned now since my credit card company just processed it like any other transaction. Oh, and of course added the currency exchange fee.
 
So I tried to pay the deposit the other day, and i guess since its international my bank thought it was fraud lol. I guess I should just go to the bank to straighten it out. Ugh did anyone else have this same problem?

Yeah - when I paid the transaction was initially declined, but a quick call to the credit card company and 5 minutes later it was paid without issue. I mean, it's a sudden HUGE charge in a foreign currency, I'd sure hope they'd flag the card! :laugh:
 
I just got my student mentor today! Finally! Her name is Meera Kumar. *goes off to facebook to search/stalk* ;D
 
I also called my credit card company ahead of time, and they were cool with it. 😎

Gah, there is so much going on right now! Finishing classes! Getting the VISA! Moving to Ohio for 2 months! THEN moving to Scotland! How you guys dealing with the stress?:scared:

BTW, check if your FGF form got there, mine did not. USPS thinks it was because of the volcano.