Did anyone come from a not so good academic record in high school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dreamadream

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Curious because I did horrible in high school and now I'm doing exceptionally well in college. Hopefully the answers you guys give me will give me some motivation because I'll feel like I'm not the only one.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
I was only slightly above average in high school (tons of smarter and better ppl than me)
Outstanding in college
currently outstanding in med school
YES, you can do it.

I was a terrible high school student, I had to repeat pre algebra, english 3, and even physics simply because my high school was a joke and didn't care.. after graduating, one of my parents pressured me into getting a community college technical degree, it was then I found out I wanted to pursue medicine. 4 years laters, I am not in medical school yet, but I am currently on my 4th interview(which is tomorrow). Doing well in high school can get you into a great college, but if not, I went to community college for 2 years, 3 years in state school, did well on the mcat, maintained a high GPA, and I am here, it won't matter how your high records are (unless you were in dual enrollment courses, but thats a whole other story). Good luck

Members don't see this ad :)
Barley made it out of highschool. Had to put in two years at a CC. Switched to 4 year state school. Did incredibly well after highschool to garner an acceptance.

Reactions: 1 user
depends why you did bad. if you tried and did bad its different than not trying and doing bad. sounds like youre able to do well if you try.

Barley made it out of highschool. Had to put in two years at a CC. Switched to 4 year state school. Did incredibly well after highschool to garner an acceptance.
Really cool, thanks for this info as I can see that you are an accepted med student. Did any questions come up about cc in your interview? I took a couple GenEd courses at cc but I am taking everything else at my current college/university.

I was a very poor high school student, especially in my freshman and sophomore years. I graduated college with a 4.0 and a 35 MCAT.

I'm grateful for my high school experience because of the number of academic lessons I learned which made college much easier.

I was a very poor high school student, especially in my freshman and sophomore years. I graduated college with a 4.0 and a 35 MCAT.

I'm grateful for my high school experience because of the number of academic lessons I learned which made college much easier.
Agreed! I believe that I did so horrible in high school so I could do so well in the present/future. Do you know how many people were top of their class in hs and did poorly in college or dropped out? I am a true believer that everything happens for a reason, because if I did well in hs, trust me I would be doing horrible in college.

I did horrible in high school because I hated doing bull **** assignments everyday. College was much better for me as there were much less of those. It was mostly know the material for the test. I'm doing pretty well in med school right now.

Below average high school
Above average college
Above average medical school

Why? I specifically want this question directed towards current med students or post med school people.

Because the Allopathic forum is for threads by current medical students about topics that pertain to medical students, while threads that benefit pre-meds/undergrads belong in pre-allo or pre-osteo. Plenty of medical students, residents, and attendings visit pre-allo and can answer your questions here.

Members don't see this ad :)
Look at all the SAT vs MCAT threads. You'll see hoards of 1200 type SAT scorers which could easily be below average for their state school with a 65% acceptance rate end up hitting 35+ on the MCAT 4-5 years later.

The key thing is that you prove yourself. I straight 4.0ed my CC course work. I felt like I had a chip on my shoulder (kind of did). It was not brought up during my interviews specifically, however it played a small roll in helping me come across not so "cookie-cutter".

Take this with a rather decent grain of salt due to me being a non-trad.
Really cool, thanks for this info as I can see that you are an accepted med student. Did any questions come up about cc in your interview? I took a couple GenEd courses at cc but I am taking everything else at my current college/university.

Sure, I didn't even finish high school. Dropped out my Junior year and got a GED 4 years later. Smashed state university and will matriculate next year.

I was a pretty bad student in high school (AP classes for the most part but just straight C's). Was more focused on hanging out with friends, sports, and video games.

Turned that completely around when my teachers in college kept telling me I had a lot of potential if I tried harder. Was recently accepted to an Ivy Leage med school. Gotta say that life is much more fulfilling when you work up to your potential. Keep going!!!!!

I didnt do too hot in highschool but made it into a strong UG by the skin of my teeth, where I proceeded to not do so well again during the first 2 years of undergrad. It wasnt until my 3rd year that I got my crap together and made a concerted effort to be successful.

I'm a high school drop out (family circumstances) who went back, hauled ass and now I'm here. No acceptances yet, but I'm just happy to be in the spot.

I was bored to tears in high school. I got a 1.67 GPA my freshman year (the rest were better giving me a 3.0 overall).
It was really hard for my to stay motivated with all the constant rehashing of material from middle and grade school.

Curious because I did horrible in high school and now I'm doing exceptionally well in college. Hopefully the answers you guys give me will give me some motivation because I'll feel like I'm not the only one.

Yep graduated HS with a near 2.0 most classes I passed were because teachers would pass me on so they wouldnt have to deal with me a lot. Many detentions and suspensions for all kinds of things. Somehow got accepted to a small state university and school finally clicked for me. Graduated college with 3.9 got into medical school and now at least top half of my class.

I went back to high school and none of my old teachers believe I'm getting my MD though

I was terrible in HS too. Although I managed a 3.0, I failed classes, and played a ton of games.

I was a "smart kid" until like the end of middle school. I think I barely had a 3.0 in high school (my schools standards were really low, so this should have been lower. I took a bunch of honors classes that boosted my GPA, but pretty much anyone at my school who could read above a first grade level was in honors classes, and the difficulty level reflected that.)

My mom was afraid I'd fail out, and some stuff happened and basically my school froze my grades so I wouldn't fail out in my last semester. I wasn't stupid, I just had issues and no motivation in life.

Now my mom makes fun of me for being such an alpha-nerd. I was valedictorian in my LPN class and I'm doing really well in undergrad, 3.91 GPA so far (should be higher after this semester). Also I'm in the honors program, I tutor, am in student gov. and a officer in a club. Unfortunately my parents don't really get how competitive med school is, so they just think I'm kind of crazy.

only to go against the grain of this thread: graduated 1/350 and took 11 AP exams

I pretty much flunked my whole junior year of high school. I was angsty, refused to do anything, and used drugs. Luckily high school doesn't really count for anything in medicine. Unless you want to go to a big time undergrad school...which I guess would further your chances to get into a big time med school. Got my act together a little bit, went to JUCO, then transferred to a state school.

Is it not logical to assume that because you failed to compete in high school you go to a sub-par college and therefore can successfully compete because everyone else is bad as well?

I have plenty of friends who did okay-ish or badly in high school who are now in medical school. Really high school stops mattering once you get into college. If you're doing well in college, then you're fine - no one cares that you got a D average in your high school math classes or whatever.

Ds and Fs in highschool, dropped out in the beginning of 10th grade, 5+ years off between school. All A's in college and graduating this semester and a decent MCAT, currently hoping to be accepted to medical school.

only to go against the grain of this thread: graduated 1/350 and took 11 AP exams
5712999+_d953baf569ea542a6ca3b7af9c902f97.jpg

Reactions: 2 users