This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

catlover63

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
So, being stupid and a freshman in college with a weak math background I decided to take pre-calc in the summer as a 6 week course and ended up getting a D- in the class. I am obviously going to retake it, and my school has a policy on replacing your grade with whatever new grade you receive, (hopefully an A)! I've gotten a 4.0 in ALL of my other classes, including biology, chemistry, pysch, and sociology, however, this one D- knocked my GPA down to a 3.14. I also just received a medical scribe position and am looking for more volunteer work. I'm only a sophomore this fall, do you think I can still save myself? Or should I already be looking into postbacc programs?

EDIT: Also, I am aware that medical schools look at ALL grades, so this has me scared.:(

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
It was a summer school class and you were a frosh ... and you're re-taking the class for grade replacement ... and you earned a perfect 4.0 in all of your other classes, including biology, chemistry, psych and sociology (so your GPA should be higher than a 3.14 if the only non-A grade you have received in college is a D-)... and you're going to work hard and maintain a strong/competitive GPA for remaining pre-reqs/other college courses ... so you'll be okay.

Reactions: 1 users
So, being stupid and a freshman in college with a weak math background I decided to take pre-calc in the summer as a 6 week course and ended up getting a D- in the class. I am obviously going to retake it, and my school has a policy on replacing your grade with whatever new grade you receive, (hopefully an A)! I've gotten a 4.0 in ALL of my other classes, including biology, chemistry, pysch, and sociology, however, this one D- knocked my GPA down to a 3.14. I also just received a medical scribe position and am looking for more volunteer work. I'm only a sophomore this fall, do you think I can still save myself? Or should I already be looking into postbacc programs?

EDIT: Also, I am aware that medical schools look at ALL grades, so this has me scared.:(

@Doctor-S is right. Don't sweat it. It's still relatively early in your undergrad; plus, ADCOMs do generally view poor grades from freshman/sophomore year with more leniency than they would poor marks during junior/senior year. Grade TREND (upward vs. downward) is far more important than one very poor mark in a single course.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile