Did I make a huge mistake?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tomhaverford

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
For many different reasons, I did not finish my secondaries until late October. I have a good application with a 78 LizzyM score, pubs, awards, club presidencies, and global health exposure. I thought I'd be fine applying to only top 20 schools, but I still have received zero interviews and one rejection. Did I really screw up my chances by applying so late or do I just need to be patient? To be honest, I have always dreamed of going to school at Penn, Harvard or Hopkins, and now I think I've not only demolished my chances there, but also potentially everywhere else. Thanks a lot.. I'm beginning to freak out a little bit.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
For many different reasons, I did not finish my secondaries until late October. I have a good application with a 78 LizzyM score, pubs, awards, club presidencies, and global health exposure. I thought I'd be fine applying to only top 20 schools, but I still have received zero interviews and one rejection. Did I really screw up my chances by applying so late or do I just need to be patient? Thanks a lot.. I'm beginning to freak out a little bit.

Well, worst case scenario is that you don't get in anywhere this cycle. On the bright side, if you apply early next year you're almost guaranteed to get in somewhere. If I were you I would just try and enjoy life before medical school as much as possible.

With how competitive everything is in this process, you are probably relatively 'late' if you are not complete by the end of July :p

In all seriousness, you will get IIs, probably mostly in December and January. Most of the top schools are non-rolling at this point, so at least you have that in your favor. Your chances are diminished compared to if you applied earlier, but I'm sure you already knew that.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
For many different reasons, I did not finish my secondaries until late October. I have a good application with a 78 LizzyM score, pubs, awards, club presidencies, and global health exposure. I thought I'd be fine applying to only top 20 schools, but I still have received zero interviews and one rejection. Did I really screw up my chances by applying so late or do I just need to be patient? To be honest, I have always dreamed of going to school at Harvard or Hopkins, and now I think I've not only demolished my chances there, but also potentially everywhere else. Thanks a lot.. I'm beginning to freak out a little bit.

Applying late can hurt you, and applying to only top schools can hurt you (as far as chances at admission overall). Combining the two, yeah, you probably would have a lot more attention now if you hadn't done that, and if you don't end up with an acceptance, that is most likely why. However, what is done is done, you were late and applied too top heavy, so if you don't get in anywhere, you know what to correct for next cycle. Be patient though, you must might get some schools that decide to toss you an interview. :luck:

Your stats will probably still stand out, but submitting your stuff that late will impact your chances at some of the top tier schools. Your state school will probably still welcome you with open arms.

2/10 Would not read again.

I wish I were trolling :/ Would make this situation a lot easier.

Thanks to everyone else for the replies. I guess I've learned my lesson for next year if it doesn't pan out. Luckily I have a good job, and I'll be able to continue working. I'll update if I hear back from anywhere.

I wish I were trolling :/ Would make this situation a lot easier.

Thanks to everyone else for the replies. I guess I've learned my lesson for next year if it doesn't pan out. Luckily I have a good job, and I'll be able to continue working. I'll update if I hear back from anywhere.

If you finished your secondaries in October then obviously you won't hear from any schools in November. You will get some interviews after January most likely. A lot of those schools aren't even rolling.

78 LizzyM means 3.9 cGPA and 39 MCAT (or anything around that stratosphere)

those are some incredible stats...

...and why do i get a feeling that very soon, these stats will become the new AVERAGES?

Lol a 39 MCAT will never become the "new average"

I bet the new average will be a 40 in 2015. Doesn't the max score go up to a 60?

Sent from my iPod using SDN Mobile app. Please excuse the typos.

78 LizzyM means 3.9 cGPA and 39 MCAT (or anything around that stratosphere)

those are some incredible stats...

...and why do i get a feeling that very soon, these stats will become the new AVERAGES?

MCAT is graded on a bell curve, so the average for any given test will always be the same no matter what. The only way the average MCAT of applicants could rise is if people start to take the MCAT more than once or if people with lower MCAT scores choose not to apply.

Members don't see this ad :)
Yeaa applying to only top 20's... that was a really bad idea. Even with stellar stats I think that is still risky and although I think you will get in somewhere, it may end up being a place you don't like and therefore you won't have as many options, or you may end up sitting on multiple wait lists. There is a reason why it is widely known on SDN to not apply late and not apply to only top 10-20 schools.

And 39 will never be the new average. They would change the test around (like they are doing in a few years) and/or make it significantly more difficult so that a 36+ is harder to achieve.

I received an interview invite today! Finally! Now I just have to do really well... and the only date available was literally the last day offered. Phew.

Yeah you're right, the new sdn avg is gonna be higher. :scared: #mcat2015

;)

Well, I figure the average MCAT of matriculants is a 30 out of 45. So, I believe the new MCAT average will be a 40 out of 60... that's scary.

I received an interview invite today! Finally! Now I just have to do really well... and the only date available was literally the last day offered. Phew.

Congrats! Be confident and avoid anxiety, and you're good to go. Good luck!

MCAT is graded on a bell curve, so the average for any given test will always be the same no matter what. The only way the average MCAT of applicants could rise is if people start to take the MCAT more than once or if people with lower MCAT scores choose not to apply.

Does something about either of these seem far-fetched to you?

This is false, it isn't curved in the traditional sense. The questions are assigned a difficulty, assembled, the net difficulty of the exam thus determined and correct answers to scaled score developed. There's no "curve" - everyone can get a 45 on the MCAT (if for that given MCAT a 45 is possible - in past years there were tests where it wasn't possible to get a 45 on the VR section). This is, as far as I know, done because a bell curve is impossible to standardize.

However, since they assess the difficulty of questions based on past performance, as people get better at taking the MCAT, the difficulty of questions and number of questions needed to get a higher scaled score will increase. As in, if in 2005 you needed to get X number of questions right to get a 40, in 2010 it's more likely X+Y questions. If everyone starts getting a "hard" question correct, it will end up being rated medium or easy...etc.

If it was scored on a curve, score creep wouldn't be possible. It's easy to see how the averages at schools in the past 10 years have increased, some substantially (I think the average is ~1.5-2 points total).

Thought I'd give you guys a quick update. It turns out I was a bit neurotic, and I had much more success than I ought to have had by all rights. I ended up turning in 10 secondaries and received IIs from 6 schools (including an acceptance at my state school). Most of the schools who gave me a chance were non-rolling institutions, whereas most of the schools I have yet to hear back from (UCSF, Hopkins; rejected from Chicago) are rolling (and I did not apply to Duke until the end of November).

N=1, but I guess the lesson here is that applying late to non-rolling institutions does not hurt you as much as applying late to rolling institutions. Luckily most of the schools I want to attend ended up being non-rolling, and I still have time to hear back from the others, so all hope is not lost.

Either way, I think SDN exaggerates the effect of late applications on chances at admission, and while I would advise others to avoid sending in their apps late like I did, it's not the end of the world if you do. I'll let you all know how the season ends for me in a few months. Thanks for all the advice/support!

Last edited:
Thought I'd give you guys a quick update. It turns out I was a bit neurotic, and I had much more success than I ought to have had by all rights. I ended up turning in 10 secondaries and received IIs from 6 schools (including an acceptance at my state school). Most of the schools who gave me a chance were non-rolling institutions, whereas most of the schools I have yet to hear back from (UCSF, Hopkins) are rolling (and I did not apply to Duke until the end of November).

N=1, but I guess the lesson here is that applying late to non-rolling institutions does not hurt you as much as applying late to rolling institutions. Luckily most of the schools I want to attend ended up being non-rolling, and I still have time to hear back from the others, so all hope is not lost.

Either way, I think SDN exaggerates the effect of late applications on chances at admission, and while I would advise others to avoid sending in their apps late like I did, it's not the end of the world if you do. I'll let you all know how the season ends for me in a few months. Thanks for all the advice/support!

Glad to hear that! I know that sdn premeds tend to be neurotic during app season, so I wouldn't advise looking at their posts. Good luck at your aop season, and hopefully it'll be very fruitful for you

Thought I'd give you guys a quick update. It turns out I was a bit neurotic, and I had much more success than I ought to have had by all rights. I ended up turning in 10 secondaries and received IIs from 6 schools (including an acceptance at my state school). Most of the schools who gave me a chance were non-rolling institutions, whereas most of the schools I have yet to hear back from (UCSF, Hopkins) are rolling (and I did not apply to Duke until the end of November).

Congrats, OP! Looks like this cycle went very well for you (that's quite an impressive interview invites list). But it's also important to note that you're a really competitive applicant. The "apply early" thing is carries significantly more weight for less competitive applicants (or those with strong stats but something lackluster about their ECs).

Thought I'd give you guys a quick update. It turns out I was a bit neurotic, and I had much more success than I ought to have had by all rights. I ended up turning in 10 secondaries and received IIs from 6 schools (including an acceptance at my state school). Most of the schools who gave me a chance were non-rolling institutions, whereas most of the schools I have yet to hear back from (UCSF, Hopkins; rejected from Chicago) are rolling (and I did not apply to Duke until the end of November).

Being early is important for people with average to low MCAT or GPA.

You have a 78 LizzyM score listed in the op. assuming a perfect MCAT, the lowest your GPA could be is a 3.3. Assuming perfect GPA, you have a 38 MCAT. Being conservative with estimating your application, I will guess you have a 3.8 GPA and a 40 MCAT. That is not low by any means. I think that is why you have received so many interviews.

Edit: I am on my iPod so I didn't see you linked your mdapps. 3.8+ and 35+. I will guess a 3.9 and 38. This is super high.

You also have a publication.

Therefor I think you had many more things going wells for you to make up for a late app.

Being early is important for people with average to low MCAT or GPA.

You have a 78 LizzyM score listed in the op. assuming a perfect MCAT, the lowest your GPA could be is a 3.3. Assuming perfect GPA, you have a 38 MCAT. Being conservative with estimating your application, I will guess you have a 3.8 GPA and a 40 MCAT. That is not low by any means. I think that is why you have received so many interviews.

:thumbup:X1000

congrats, op! Looks like this cycle went very well for you (that's quite an impressive interview invites list). But it's also important to note that you're a really competitive applicant. The "apply early" thing is carries significantly more weight for less competitive applicants (or those with strong stats but something lackluster about their ecs).

+1000

Now go read your first post and think how it makes you feel now. LOL. We usually get all crazy about stuff and then when the good comes we look back and say " I was so stupid!!" (Not saying that you're stupid!)

I am glad you got an acceptance and multiple interviews. I would be happy with the one acceptance though. Doesnt take much to please me.

Congrats!! & GL!