This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

whosnisarg

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys.

I'm a little freaked out - this whole time, I've been preparing for the dental route (started shadowing, learned terminology, did some assisting with my dad's friends), even choosing a college that has an articulation program for dental, but not for medicine. After a month of hard thinking, I realized that I love the cosmetic and hand on portion of the medical field (like plastics or derm, which I've already heard from my GP brother-in-law is super difficult) and I was pursuing that same cosmetic interest in dentistry. I'm shadowing a few doctors (family practitioner and HOPEFULLY dermatologist) this summer!

Anyway, I am going to Montclair State University in Montclair, NJ starting in the fall as a molecular biology major with a concentration in medicine.

Did I screw myself by going to a state school not known for medical applicants (it's a great school for teachers though!)?

I'm freaked out hearing all of my friends going to John Hopkins and George Washington IN CASE they change their minds (they're going for polisci, but MIGHT change to pre-med).

Montclair isn't the most known school for medicine or health sciences... :(

Any consolation would be totally appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
No. You're fine. Your MCAT and grades are going to matter far more than what undergrad you chose to attend.

Reactions: 2 users
No. You're fine. Your MCAT and grades are going to matter far more than what undergrad you chose to attend.
Phew, just what I was hoping to hear. I know I'm going to have to work my butt off which I would at any school, but at least I can be assured going to a #3 public state school won't kill me. Thank you for saving me a heart attack!

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
If you do well in your coursework and get a good MCAT, you'll be fine for MD admission. Going to a well-known undergrad helps, but it's far from being the most important factor.

Here's the thing, though: If you're dead-set on the cosmetic aspect of healthcare, then the best idea would be to stick to dentistry. Getting into derm or plastics is extremely difficult, and it's only going to get more difficult in the future as the number of medical graduates competing for residency spots increases.

Only go to medical school if you're willing to settle for a less competitive specialty that isn't related to cosmetics.

Reactions: 2 users
If you do well in your coursework and get a good MCAT, you'll be fine for MD admission. Going to a well-known undergrad helps, but it's far from being the most important factor.

Here's the thing, though: If you're dead-set on the cosmetic aspect of healthcare, then the best idea would be to stick to dentistry. Getting into derm or plastics is extremely difficult, and it's only going to get more difficult in the future as the number of medical graduates competing for residency spots increases.

Only go to medical school if you're willing to settle for a less competitive specialty that isn't related to cosmetics.
Very helpful! I will find out this summer if I'm willing to settle with the "medical" aspect of medicine. :)

More true words have never been spoken.

It should be common sense, but landing a derm or plastics residency is one of the hardest things I can think of, and will get even harder once the merger of 2020 happens and many DO programs are ended. You're competing against the best and brightest in med school, which is already chock full of smart, ambitious folks.

Getting into dental school is a cakewalk by comparison.

Reactions: 1 users
Hey guys.

I'm a little freaked out - this whole time, I've been preparing for the dental route (started shadowing, learned terminology, did some assisting with my dad's friends), even choosing a college that has an articulation program for dental, but not for medicine. After a month of hard thinking, I realized that I love the cosmetic and hand on portion of the medical field (like plastics or derm, which I've already heard from my GP brother-in-law is super difficult) and I was pursuing that same cosmetic interest in dentistry. I'm shadowing a few doctors (family practitioner and HOPEFULLY dermatologist) this summer!

Anyway, I am going to Montclair State University in Montclair, NJ starting in the fall as a molecular biology major with a concentration in medicine.

Did I screw myself by going to a state school not known for medical applicants (it's a great school for teachers though!)?

I'm freaked out hearing all of my friends going to John Hopkins and George Washington IN CASE they change their minds (they're going for polisci, but MIGHT change to pre-med).

Montclair isn't the most known school for medicine or health sciences... :(

Any consolation would be totally appreciated.
Get a good GPA and a good MCAT and many med schools will have open doors for you.