Did I screw up my interview? Dishonesty?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

footedduck2188

Reaction score
So I interviewed yesterday at my top dental school. The interviewer asked me, "where else have you interviewed?" I told the truth except I lied and added on a school in the same state that I have not interviewed at because I was insecure about the schools I've interviewed at so far. Is there a way my interviewer can validate this information? Is there a chance this dishonest answer will disqualify me?

Members don't see this ad.

So I interviewed yesterday at my top dental school. The interviewer asked me, "where else have you interviewed?" I told the truth except I lied and added on a school in the same state that I have not interviewed at because I was insecure about the schools I've interviewed at so far. Is there a way my interviewer can validate this information? Is there a chance this dishonest answer will disqualify me?
Dumb move, why would you do this

there's no way they will find out unless you tell them
DWAI
and next interview, relax and be yourself and speak from the heart rather than trying to come up with an answer you think they want to hear...

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
What is the best way to answer that question? whenever i have to answer, I just said that I am still waiting to hear back from other schools and did not mention the number of interviews i got and the name of the schools.

lol this is why they ask. They don't care where you applied or interviewed. They care if you lie.

Reactions: 1 users
I was asked this by UNLV and my interviewer took notes on my answer, it's done and over with so just forget it and move on. Learn from it, and try to relax and be ready for the next one.

I'm sure you're fine, its not big deal. BUT, why in the world would you be insecure of where you've interviewed?! There are people out there who haven't received a single interview! Thousands of people will not get in anywhere, at all this year! Hold your head up high and be damn proud of what you've accomplished!

Reactions: 3 users
I had a similar question on this topic. At my interview I was asked how many schools I applied to and I replied that I applied to 11 or 12 schools. I had applied to 13 (and listed 13 schools on my secondary application this school) in total but I was not sure of the exact number at the time of my interview. Additionally I had not paid the secondary fee and therefore my application was not complete for two of these schools that I had decided I did not want to attend. Will this hurt me?
no

This will not affect you in any way. They cannot see where all you applied. Do not freak out about it.

First step into healthcare professional, you never lied especially to patients. They put a trap on you and you walked right in. If you don't get in to this school because you lied, then this is a lesson for you to learn.

Schools talk to each other, sometimes. They can verify the info you provided. Not only that, they can contact other schools which you applied to and inform them about this. You never know how far and quickly this can spread.

Members don't see this ad :)
Lol just move on. Chances are they aren’t going to know. But I have heard stories from a couple admissions people about how they find out some applicants are lying about things when they talk to their buddies at other schools and some applicant names come up. This came up when I asked them how do they catch lies

Stop crying about spill milk. It over and done with. If they find out, u only got yourself to blame.

You could just call up and say it was a slip of the tongue.

I would not worry about it buddy... the adcoms have to make the effort to call that particular school and ask whether you, out of hundreds of applicants, specifically interviewed there, which is obviously highly unlikely given how busy they already are...

Sent from my SM-G935P using SDN mobile

Reactions: 1 users
Are these people really gonna call 10 other schools to fact check what one applicant said in an interview? The idea of that happening is totally ridiculous. These people are overworked as hell. Saying something inaccurate because you are flustered in a situation designed to fluster you is not going to end up being important for you OP.

Reactions: 5 users
Are these people really gonna call 10 other schools to fact check what one applicant said in an interview? The idea of that happening is totally ridiculous. These people are overworked as hell. Saying something inaccurate because you are flustered in a situation designed to fluster you is not going to end up being important for you OP.
Precisely... dont listen to anyone here
telling you to worry about it... just relax... you finished the hard part...

Sent from my SM-G935P using SDN mobile

Reactions: 4 users
I'm worrying about something similar.. At an interview, I was asked what my undergrad GPA was. I said a number that I thought was my GPA as shown on my unofficial transcript from bachelors. But I later checked and my AADSAS GPA is actually lower (the calculation was different). I hope they somehow overlook my mistake.

Of course they won't check everybody, but they can do random sampling. I wouldn't be surprised if they chose to verify for those who are admitted and pay the deposit.

Op, the more you read, the more your anxiety will maximize.
I suggest you stop reading the replies. Chances are you'll get away with it, but remember how lying or withholding information made you feel! The fear and the panic! So, don't do it again if you can help it!

Reactions: 2 users
Of course they won't check everybody, but they can do random sampling. I wouldn't be surprised if they chose to verify for those who are admitted and pay the deposit.

so you don't actually know this for sure, yet you are spreading it on the internet to freaked out applicants...

Reactions: 2 users
so you don't actually know this for sure, yet you are spreading it on the internet to freaked out applicants...
Well at my interviews, the admissions directors did say that they pay close attention to those who end up paying the enrollment deposit, whatever that is supposed to mean.

Well at my interviews, the admissions directors did say that they pay close attention to those who end up paying the enrollment deposit, whatever that is supposed to mean.

it means they don't want you to have any academic issues before you start dental school...
maintain a decent GPA, finish prerequisites, and don't have any behavioral issues