Did poorly in my SMP. HELP

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sportsdoc3

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I went to UNTHSC Post Bacc program. I'm about to graduate but I didn't do well in this program. I got alot of B's. So my overall GPA is 3.22. I did poorly in my undergrad, and I wanted to use this opportunity to increase my GPA, but clearly that didn't work out. Got so many 88 or 89s in classes. What are my options at this point? Low-tier DO schools? Or am I completely screwed and now I gotta go to the Caribbean if I want to be a doctor? Any advice is helpful.

Members don't see this ad.

So I went to UNTHSC Post Bacc program. I'm about to graduate but I didn't do well in this program. I got alot of B's. So my overall GPA is 3.22. I did poorly in my undergrad, and I wanted to use this opportunity to increase my GPA, but clearly that didn't work out. Got so many 88 or 89s in classes. What are my options at this point? Low-tier DO schools? Or am I completely screwed and now I gotta go to the Caribbean if I want to be a doctor? Any advice is helpful.
Mcat?

Members don't see this ad :)
What's your MCAT score? What's your cGPA and sGPA?

What's your MCAT score? What's your cGPA and sGPA?

MCAT Score: 500
Under grad stats: 3.37c , 2.97s
SMP stats: 3.17c, havent calculated the s.

I missed an A in my anatomy and physio class by like half a point. 89 in both. They were 5 credit hours each. My SMP GPA would have been a 3.5 if I had made those As. So I'm pretty discouraged right now.

MCAT Score: 500
Under grad stats: 3.37c , 2.97s
SMP stats: 3.17c, havent calculated the s.

I missed an A in my anatomy and physio class by like half a point. 89 in both. They were 5 credit hours each. My SMP GPA would have been a 3.5 if I had made those As. So I'm pretty discouraged right now.
Re-take the MCAT. I think you could still have a shot at DO with a strong score.

Definitely retake your MCAT for sure. If you can get a 503+, you should be fine for DO schools. If you can get a 508+, and significantly improve your academic record by taking competitive graduate level science courses, you can still aim for MD schools.

What went wrong?

I came short in 3 classes. All 3 I got an 89. (Anatomy 5 hour course, Physiology 5 hour course, and Pharmacology 2 hour course). I would be near a 3.6 if I had made those As. I feel gutted right now. I plan on taking the MCAT, I have plenty of time to study because last time I was still in school and too busy.

I agree with clutch100. Retake the Mcat and make sure you are ready for your next attempt. Is there a way you can bump your undergrad sGPA to a 3.0 by getting an A in a science upper level class or two?

Do the above and you might be a good candidate for new DO schools.

Wait what do you mean by you haven't calculated your science GPA? SMPs usually consist of mostly science courses. So cumulative should be close if not the same as your science.

My science is 3.08 in my SMP program. Made alot of Bs that were close A's and I know that doesnt matter. I really wish we had +/-. But I get the feeling that even if I improve my undergrad GPA, Im still screwed because the SMP was my second chance and I screwed that up. I plan on taking the MCAT again and destroying it because the first time I barely had time to study and I didn't manage my time well with school. But now I'm free. Do you really think I have a shot if my stats stay the same and I get a 510 at out of state DO schools? Im from Texas by the way. Also, I appreciate you reply.

I don't think your SMP performance will kill your application. It just didn't help your application. To get into out of state DO programs (think new DO schools), you would need to do well on you MCAT (505+) and in the process of applying take upper division science classes/volunteer. To go MD, you will probably need to do really well on your MCAT (510+) and get into another SMP (which is a risky move that costs a lot of $, time, and could end make your application even worse should you do badly).

Get overall sGPA above 3.0 if it isn't already boosted by your SMP performance. AACOMAS combines undergrad and grad GPAs for overall GPA

Reactions: 1 user
SMP GPA = BCPM = sGPA.

I have never heard of a SMP where it wasn't solely "science courses". Even any "Ethics" courses for SMPs should be under a BIOL course category which is what is considered a part of BCPM.

SMP GPA = BCPM = sGPA.

I have never heard of a SMP where it wasn't solely "science courses". Even any "Ethics" courses for SMPs should be under a BIOL course category which is what is considered a part of BCPM.
Are you sure about that? They told us not to put classes like Epidemiology or Ethics as science for us. Maybe in DO programs they calculate it differently? Im not sure.

Are you sure about that? They told us not to put classes like Epidemiology or Ethics as science for us. Maybe in DO programs they calculate it differently? Im not sure.

You need to look at the designation of your class. If a class is hosted by the science department i.e a bioethics course that is only able to be registered under the pretense of a biology major then it is a BIO class.

Have you not paid attention to what your classes are under? No legitimate SMP has non-science courses. I am going to assume your SMP is legitimate so look at your transcripts and tell me what the class is categorized as. Ethics is only considered "other non-science" if that is the COURSE LISTING.

Edit: How do I know this? Because when I applied with my SMP grades AAMC didn't make a single fuss about my ethics course being counted under BCPM because it was only accessible to SMPers and categorized as BIOL.

BCPM = Any class that is categorized as such: Biology, Chemistry, Physics, Math.

Reactions: 1 user