Difference between shadowing, internships, and volunteering

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

predentalqt

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
For some reason the dental offices in my area did not want anyone to shadow and the clinics did not want anyone to volunteer because they need DA training in order to be of any use. So I'm confused as to how I can get this experience? Maybe I am wording it wrong when I inquire about it. So what is the difference and how did you go about finding opportunities? Do we have to intern for dental school?
Thank you!!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
The best person to ask for dental shadowing is your personal dentist. They are likely to be more welcoming than others since they personally know you.

What I did was take a short, affordable 10 week accelerated DA course while I was finishing up my degree. I wanted more hands-on experience, and being gainfully employed allowed me those experiences. Being able to pay for all of my DAT study materials, application fees, a nice tailored suit, and travel expenses was also an added benefit.

Last edited:
This is what I wanted to do but it's not working out for some reason. Do you happen to be in Florida? Also did the dental office you work for let you work flexible hours to go with your school schedule? Like taking labs.
Also do you think working an office position like front desk would count as anything beneficial being in a dental setting?
The best person to ask for dental shadowing is your personal dentist. They are likely to be more welcoming than others since they personally know you.

What I did was take a short, affordable 10 week accelerated DA course while I was finishing up my degree. I wanted more hands-on experience, and being gainfully employed allowed me those experiences. Being able to pay for all of my DAT study materials, application fees, a nice tailored suit, and travel expenses was also an added benefit. This is how I gathered most of my experience.[/QUO

Members don't see this ad :)
I worked full-time after I graduated from undergrad. Look for offices that are open on the weekends and apply there if you have scheduling conflicts. Many centers that cater to the disadvantaged have their clinics open on the weekends.

I would pursue more clinical experience if I were you, but you can use a front office job to allow you to get more experience in the back. One of our front desk staff was accepted this cycle, and she was able to easily get shadowing hours because she personally knew the doctors. Eventually they even had her assist them in procedures. It can be an indirect way to get some clinical experience.

Still, it may be much easier to get clinical experience more directly by asking to shadow and then being trained by the doctor as an assistant after you gain some repertoire in the practice.

There is no such thing as "dental internship" as it applies to dentistry.

Last edited:
I worked full-time after I graduated from undergrad. Look for offices that are open on the weekends and apply there if you have scheduling conflicts. Many centers that cater to the disadvantaged have their clinics open on the weekends.

I would pursue more clinical experience if I were you, but you can use a front office job to allow you to get more experience in the back. One of our front desk staff was accepted this cycle, and she was able to easily get shadowing hours because she personally knew the doctors. Eventually they even had her assist them in procedures. It can be an indirect way to get some clinical experience.

Still, it may be much easier to get clinical experience more directly by asking to shadow and then being trained by the doctor as an assistant after you gain some repertoire in the practice.
I don't have a personal dentist anymore. I moved out of state. I would be meeting him for the first time. Is that the only way to get the shadowing and volunteer experience? Are there any organizations that hook students up with volunteer work for being predental? I feel so behind on my hours.

I don't have a personal dentist anymore. I moved out of state. I would be meeting him for the first time. Is that the only way to get the shadowing and volunteer experience? Are there any organizations that hook students up with volunteer work for being predental? I feel so behind on my hours.
If you go to a university, they probably have a pre-dental club. It's hard for people on SDN to help you with location-specific things. You can volunteer anywhere. It doesn't have to be dental related. Find your pre-health advisor, a pre-dental club, or a service organization. You can find all of these by googling them with the name of your university

Shouldn't he be shadowing first before assisting/interning? Lets see if he likes it first

Keep calling, make personal visits if you have to. Try local community clinics.

Shouldn't he be shadowing first before assisting/interning? Lets see if he likes it first

Keep calling, make personal visits if you have to. Try local community clinics.
*she has already shadowed and knows 100% without a doubt this is what she is supposed to do. But I don't have a lot of shadowing hours. When I moved I hit a road block because nobody here is acting like I'm speaking English when I ask to shadow or volunteer. The clinic said I have to have dental assisting training to be of use because they don't have time to train anyone. So I'm trying to find out what other people have done to find opportunities