Differences btwn DO/MD? Change DO to MD?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Kat58885

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello again,

I have three questions for you:

1. Do you think there are many differences between DOs and MDs?
--e.g.: professors reputations, difficulty of schooling, entering GPAs, availability of jobs after degree

2. Do you think DO schools look for more well-rounded students than MD schools?

3. Finally, have you ever heard of a DO paying a little $$ to have a MD degree--or is there a test one must take to have the "MD" after one's name?

Thanks again,
Kat

Members don't see this ad.

kat,

1. do vs md diffs
Not really. MDs tend to have had higher grades and mcats going in. However, there are many DOs who end up in competitive residencies. Most DOs end up in primary care, but the reason for this is controversial. Probably, it is a combination of many factors (the average age of a DO student is higher, older students tend to take shorter residencies; mcat/gpa are lower for DO students, and despite the fact that the majority of DO students who take the USMLE pass, there is a lower absolute score for DO students overall, tending to push them into less competitive residencies; also, they are more inclined to go into primary care for a variety of personal reasons). Professors at DO schools have fine clinical reputations, but not academic/research ones. I believe the availability of jobs after graduation does not depend on the degree so much as market forces. I know many DOs and they have thriving practices. You do not need to worry about unemployment as a DO any more or less than an MD.

2. I think this rounded DO vs. the more narrow-interest MD student is largely a myth (I can't wait to get shellacked for this one...). DO schools do not necessarily want better rounded students WITH LOWER stats, they just get them (they want what MD schools want... well rounded applicants with high mcats/gpa). DO schools want the best students they can get who also show interest in the profession, period. Just look at the mcat scores of entrants... they have been steadily creeping up over the years at DO schools. Osteopahic schools understand the importance of the ability to maintain steady grades and do well on a standardized exam. As more premeds become informed about osteopathic medicine, more of them become interested in becoming DOs, and naturally the gpa/mcat of DO freshmen goes up. Yes, on the whole, DOs also tend to have more life experiences because they ARE OLDER and have done other things. Most MD freshmen are straight out of college (or have only had 1-2 years off... a little difficult to be broad when all you've done is study for 4-5 years, right?). However, being that stats for DO applicants tend to be lower overall, you would be the more attractive for being an interesting candidiate with many humanistic experiences and interests.

3. There is no such thing. The only way I know of to do this is for you to get a DO, complete internship/residency, and then go to an off shore school to spend another 4 years getting an MD. Frankly, I would not be surprised if you could do this, because there are a lot of unscrupulous people out there who will cheat money out of anyone gullible enough to let them. Kat, you will not need to have an MD to have a great life as a doctor and an interesting/busy practice. Don't even think about doing this... it is unecessary and not worth the money.

There will probably be some posts putting you down for even mentioning this. And frankly, they have a point. I would like to ask you why it is you would feel ashamed to have a DO degree, however. Do you know very much about the profession?

Best wishes,
Ana

[This message has been edited by ana (edited 02-20-2000).]

[This message has been edited by ana (edited 02-20-2000).]

Kat58885-
Question #3 is interesting b/c this actually happened! In CA in the early 1960's there was an amalgamation contract btwn the CMA and COA (California Medical Assoc and Calif Osteopathic Assoc). The CA osteo school was transformed into a school under the AMA and all living graduates were offered an MD degree. Since CA was the osteopathic stronghold of the time, this sent quite a shockwave thru the nation.

Luckily today that kind of hostility is not present (to my knowledge), osteopathic physicians are given equal recognition, and osteopathic physicians continue to be proud of the letters after their names and do not wish to "sell" them for an MD.

AMSA actually has an officially policy position in favor of maintaining two separate medical degrees, the MD and the DO:
http://www.amsa.org/about/ppp/32.html

AMSA Home

PPP Home

PRINCIPLES REGARDING OSTEOPATHIC MEDICINE

The American Medical Student Association:

1. does not support efforts by groups or individuals aimed at combining the doctor of medicine (MD) and doctor of osteopathic medicine (DO) degrees, as we feel that each of these approaches is important in the advancement of medical care for patients now and in the future. However, we do stress that each of these degrees should be viewed equally by the medical community. (1999)