This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Ramona Flowers

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi there,

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
You have your standard disadvantaged essay and then the E01/E02/E0etc. AMCAS classification. Sounds like you can write your disadvantaged essay but there will likely be a discrepancy between the two classifications given your parents educational levels and professional jobs. But, given you have a small amount to explain yourself on the disadvantaged essay hopefully someone wiser than me can comment how adcoms will evaluate this.. Disadvantaged is loosely defined as having restricted access to financial / educational / healthcare resources

With the very limited space you have for the essay I suggest you focus on single mom working 3 jobs, lowest state for teacher salary. Dad’s bankruptcy. Working jobs through college. Receiving Medicaid. Not sure about pointing out having to go to public school, FAFSA and Pell since many, many students also do this and are not particularly disadvantaged. I would recommend presenting it all in your essay as objective facts, not an emotional plea for understanding (by no means am I saying this is what you did here, just giving advice!)
Best of luck!!

Edit: Would not mention no summer camp, pets, extracurriculars, tutors, etc because these are all luxuries, not necessities. No offense, but these could come off as more whiny to a reader.

Reactions: 4 users