Disappointing cycle, should I make plans to reapply (after December update)?

Nov 25, 2020
Status
  1. Pre-Medical
GPA 3.83
MCAT 525
ECs:
315 hours biochemistry research
60 hours shadowing, primary care and surgery
100 hours clinical volunteering, free clinic
60 hours nonclinical volunteering (assorted community service)
2 semesters as TA for Ochem
Helped found a new organization on campus aimed at raising awareness about sexual assault

Georgia resident. I was complete late July/early August for 28 schools. So far I've received 2 II's and attended 1 interview. I am a bit worried that my application has already been reviewed at all schools at this point and that I won't receive any new II's.

Harvard
UPenn
Columbia
WUStL
University of Chicago - R
NYU
Cornell
Michigan
Vanderbilt
Northwestern
Case Western - R
Emory
UCLA - R
UVA
Alabama
Ohio State
Boston University -R
USC-Keck
Wisconsin-Madison - R
Einstein
Rochester
Dartmouth
Cincinnati
Hofstra
Drexel
Indiana - II, date tbd
MCG - II, interviewed
Mercer

Over this semester I've done an additional 270 hours of research. However, the orgs I volunteer with have been suspended since March because of COVID so I haven't been able to increase those hours. I am currently applying for full-time summer service positions.

I know my community service component is currently weak. If accepted to a service position, would a December update to schools about the position and my additional research tilt the needle towards an II?

I would love to attend either MCG or Indiana if accepted, but I understand that those pending decisions may still end up in an R.

If it comes to this, would I be able to reapply in the 2021 cycle once I can include the ~500 hours of anticipated community service in my Work & Activities? I am also hoping that the research I am working on gets published in the spring but that is still uncertain.

Sep 7, 2020
Status
  1. Pre-Medical
WUSTL may interview you based off your stats. I doubt a december update with 270 research hours will be very impactful. Very likely some schools haven't gotten to you yet or you are on a silent hold, but yes the lack of nonclinical hours is definitely hurting you. Especially when it comes to the "top" schools (and you applied quite top heavy) you need at least one activity that stands out (maybe it is productive research, very meaningful volunteering, etc) with the rest of your app still up to scratch. If it's any relief I believe Indiana doesn't interview very many out of state applicants so the fact you're interviewing there is a pretty good sign and something in your app must've caught their eye.

Reactions: 1 users

Orims

7+ Year Member
Feb 12, 2013
Status
  1. Pre-Medical
While your GPA and MCAT (amazing score by the way! Congratulations!) are great, I feel your volunteering (clinical and non-clinical), as well as your research hours (specially for research powerhouses, which happen to make up a significant portion of your schools), are somewhat lacking. Without knowing anything about your essays, other ECs, and letters of rec, the only significant red flag is the lack of hours on research and volunteering.

Best of luck with your two IIs!

Last edited:
About the Ads
Jun 24, 2020
Status
  1. Pre-Medical
There is a very similar thread and some great insights on that. Please review. Summary: this cycle is not over yet. A friend of mine with stellar stats didn't get an interview till March last year and is now attending t20. Reapplication is not as bad as sdn portrays. Improve on your volunteering and may be research before reapp. Good luck. I am positive you will get an A this cycle. keep us posted.

Reactions: 2 users

Goro

SDN Gold Donor
Gold Donor
10+ Year Member
Jun 10, 2010
Somewhere west of St. Louis
Status
  1. Non-Student
GPA 3.83
MCAT 525
ECs:
315 hours biochemistry research
60 hours shadowing, primary care and surgery
100 hours clinical volunteering, free clinic
60 hours nonclinical volunteering (assorted community service)
2 semesters as TA for Ochem
Helped found a new organization on campus aimed at raising awareness about sexual assault

Georgia resident. I was complete late July/early August for 28 schools. So far I've received 2 II's and attended 1 interview. I am a bit worried that my application has already been reviewed at all schools at this point and that I won't receive any new II's.

Harvard
UPenn
Columbia
WUStL
University of Chicago - R
NYU
Cornell
Michigan
Vanderbilt
Northwestern
Case Western - R
Emory
UCLA - R
UVA
Alabama
Ohio State
Boston University -R
USC-Keck
Wisconsin-Madison - R
Einstein
Rochester
Dartmouth
Cincinnati
Hofstra
Drexel
Indiana - II, date tbd
MCG - II, interviewed
Mercer

Over this semester I've done an additional 270 hours of research. However, the orgs I volunteer with have been suspended since March because of COVID so I haven't been able to increase those hours. I am currently applying for full-time summer service positions.

I know my community service component is currently weak. If accepted to a service position, would a December update to schools about the position and my additional research tilt the needle towards an II?

I would love to attend either MCG or Indiana if accepted, but I understand that those pending decisions may still end up in an R.

If it comes to this, would I be able to reapply in the 2021 cycle once I can include the ~500 hours of anticipated community service in my Work & Activities? I am also hoping that the research I am working on gets published in the spring but that is still uncertain.
You might get an interview invite tomorrow, or in March.

I know that the following advice triggers a lot of SDNers but the healthiest way to look at this is to consider yourself rejected until you get that acceptance email in your inbox, and be making your plan B accordingly

Nov 25, 2020
Status
  1. Pre-Medical
WUSTL may interview you based off your stats. I doubt a december update with 270 research hours will be very impactful. Very likely some schools haven't gotten to you yet or you are on a silent hold, but yes the lack of nonclinical hours is definitely hurting you. Especially when it comes to the "top" schools (and you applied quite top heavy) you need at least one activity that stands out (maybe it is productive research, very meaningful volunteering, etc) with the rest of your app still up to scratch. If it's any relief I believe Indiana doesn't interview very many out of state applicants so the fact you're interviewing there is a pretty good sign and something in your app must've caught their eye.
Thank you, do you think it still worth it to send an update then if I get accepted to a community service position?

stickgirl390

I tell chemistry jokes periodically.
2+ Year Member
Oct 18, 2016
Status
  1. Medical Student
If you end up reapplying next year, you should add Morehouse to your list since you’re a GA resident. I’m also a GA resident and was a reapplicant: II to Morehouse both cycles I applied, waitlisted the first time and outright accepted the second time. Worth mentioning that I am ORM.

Reactions: 1 user

DoctorWhere

2+ Year Member
Jun 26, 2018
MCG is very good about status updates post-II. If they decide to admit you first-pass, you'll find out after their next committee meeting.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.
About the Ads