This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Hopeless102

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all,

I am currently a recent graduate of a top 10 university on my gap year doing clinical research. I was involved in a pretty serious incident the fall of my senior year. Basically what happened was, I was at a bar (not intoxicated) and some drunk dinguses picked a fight with me and jumped me. I reacted in self-defense and inadvertently injured some of the workers there who filed a complaint via my school's disciplinary system. The student conduct office found that I endangered the health of others regardless of my initial self-defense against the 3 guys that attacked me. They stated that I went beyond self-defense in injuring the people breaking it up. I was placed on a year of suspension that does not show up on my transcript, but is held in a disciplinary file at my school accessible to graduate schools.

The entire incident was a huge wake up call for me on how one mistake I made can jeopardize everything I have worked for. I have had enormous personal growth from the experience and know now to remove myself from these situations before they even arise. There are no criminal charges against me beyond the disciplinary action. I am a good person at the end of the day and was just at the wrong place at the wrong time.

Here are my stats:
GPA: 3.5
sGPA: 3.45
MCAT: 514
ECs: President of pre-health group, Coordinator for clinic that serves homeless population and Coordinator for group that supports and counsels kids with cancer, biochemical research, and now clinical research as a gap year.

What do you think my chances are? I appreciate the input thank you so much!

Members don't see this ad.

Where is your state of residence? Are you URM? Do you have any shadowing or clinical volunteering hours?

Reactions: 1 user
State of residence: Pennsylvania, I am not URM but I am first-generation and low SES. I have no shadowing, but ~380 clinical volunteering hours.

Members don't see this ad :)
I doubt the disciplinary action will matter at most schools. You do need 50 hours of shadowing physicians (including primary care) before you apply. I suggest these schools with your stats:
Drexel
Temple
Jefferson
Penn State
Commonwealth-Geisinger
Vermont
Quinnipiac
Albany
New York Medical College
GW
Georgetown
West Virginia
Oakland Beaumont
Western Michigan
Medical College Wisconsin
Rosalind Franklin
St. Louis
Creighton
Tulane
any new schools that may open for 2019 (Seton Hall, Roseman, Kaiser, Henricopolis, NOVA MD)

I doubt the disciplinary action will matter at most schools. You do need 50 hours of shadowing physicians (including primary care) before you apply. I suggest these schools with your stats:
Drexel
Temple
Jefferson
Penn State
Commonwealth-Geisinger
Vermont
Quinnipiac
Albany
New York Medical College
GW
Georgetown
West Virginia
Oakland Beaumont
Western Michigan
Medical College Wisconsin
Rosalind Franklin
St. Louis
Creighton
Tulane
any new schools that may open for 2019 (Seton Hall, Roseman, Kaiser, Henricopolis, NOVA MD)
To Faha's list add any DO school