Discouraged pre-dental student, Need opinions...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

EquitorialMind

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Background story:
I majored in bachelor of arts for 3 years, then switched to computer science for 1 year and now I'm currently in a dentistry program for 1 year now.

Circumstance:
My GPA is approximately 2.5 and I am lacking dentist shadow experience, research experience, etc.

Things are looking pretty grim to me because I came from a background with very minimal exposure to science, math and biology.

I'm currently taking a little over 12 credit hours that are consisted of CORE classes (physics, organic chemistry, human anatomy, etc.) this means a lot of studying.

Although my circumstance does not seem favorable I am highly interested in getting my degree in biochemistry and further pursue into a career of dentistry.

TLDR version;
I am lost, and discouraged due to lack of connection or relevance with students who are in a pre-dental program at my university. This is not necessarily a question and I am sorry but I am in need of opinions or advice to succeed.

Members don't see this ad.

Well you're definitely going to need to do a post bac or SMP, no questions asked.

Reactions: 1 user
Background story:
I majored in bachelor of arts for 3 years, then switched to computer science for 1 year and now I'm currently in a dentistry program for 1 year now.

Circumstance:
My GPA is approximately 2.5 and I am lacking dentist shadow experience, research experience, etc.

Things are looking pretty grim to me because I came from a background with very minimal exposure to science, math and biology.

I'm currently taking a little over 12 credit hours that are consisted of CORE classes (physics, organic chemistry, human anatomy, etc.) this means a lot of studying.

Although my circumstance does not seem favorable I am highly interested in getting my degree in biochemistry and further pursue into a career of dentistry.

TLDR version;
I am lost, and discouraged due to lack of connection or relevance with students who are in a pre-dental program at my university. This is not necessarily a question and I am sorry but I am in need of opinions or advice to succeed.

Could you describe what this "dentistry program" is? Is it a 2-year or 4-year program?

Members don't see this ad :)
It is a pre dental program at a university,

estimated about 2-3 year program due to lack of general education requirements which were taken during my early years in college.

I thought about doing a strong math and science background by having supplemental/additional courses:
Basically these are courses for a biochemistry track/plan

Biochemistry I and II with labs
O chem I and II with labs
Chem writing
Microbiology
Cell biology
Molecular biology
Immunology
Histology

( I apologize for not being specific but it basically means pre-dental program)

Come back once you finish your pre-reqs and with your new GPA.

Background story:

Circumstance:

TLDR version;

If you're serious about pursuing dentistry then you need to make straight A's in all of those classes and nail the DAT

Reactions: 1 user
Yeah you need straight A's, especially if its only 12 credits. They don't just look at your GPA, but also the rigor of classes and the amount of classes you're taking. Its a good indicator to them if you could handle the strenuous academia of dental school. They don't wanna waste money on accepting an applicant that can't make it

Well, in situations like this, if you're completely sure you want to pursue dentistry, you have to break things down into a series of goals you have to meet. First off, you need to get all A's in those core classes you're taking. Second, really consider a post-bac. I know it's probably not the news you want to hear, but the truth is, this far along into your college career, it is basically impossible to finish with a strong GPA. Without a GPA of at least 3.1 or 3.2, your chances of getting in are low. Also, don't overlook the importance of the DAT. To help compensate for your GPA and complete lack of extracurricular, you are going to need to destroy the DAT, maybe 22 or 23+ AA.

Bottom line, you can get in at some point, but you have to be realistic about how much time it will take (again, a post-bac is almost certainly your best bet now) and you need to be prepared to rock the DAT. On the upside, you can squeeze in some shadowing hours while working on your post-bac. Even with great credentials, having no shadowing hours is sort of a red flag for many adcoms, because it indicates that you don't really aren't positive about pursuing dentistry.

Thank you very much for the serious inputs, all I've been getting are encouragements but no substance from my fellow classmates. I attempted a 17 credit hour last semester and hindered my performance and decreased my gpa in cumulative. If there are any more advice I am always checking because I am over extending copious amounts of resources to achieve my goal. I don't know if I should extend my credit hour work load or not.

Again any more advice will do for me in great benefit (in addition to searching as much previously answered questions on this forum).

Small goals my friend.
If you REALLY want it, you make it work, no excuses. My grades were crap but I just kept taking more and more classes to prove that I can do it, with a full time job and a family. Plus i had so many credits, every A didnt even help much. There are days i wake up early to study, go to work, go to school, and come home late. I would leave before my kids wake up and come home after they're in bed. This means I wouldn't see my kids for 2-3 days sometimes. THAT SUCKED.
I know it seems like everyone has a 3.8 and a 23AA, but it's not always the case. If you want it bad enough and work hard, good things will come your way. Good luck!

Thank you very much for the serious inputs, all I've been getting are encouragements but no substance from my fellow classmates. I attempted a 17 credit hour last semester and hindered my performance and decreased my gpa in cumulative. If there are any more advice I am always checking because I am over extending copious amounts of resources to achieve my goal. I don't know if I should extend my credit hour work load or not.

Again any more advice will do for me in great benefit (in addition to searching as much previously answered questions on this forum).

Do not keep taking prerequisite courses if you are doing poorly. You are going to need to take a break and reevaluate why you are doing poorly. If you keep doing poorly that you are digging yourself deeper in hole. Not much will change in 3-4 months. Your GPA is low if it keeps going down you're never ever going to get into dental school.

Dont focus on classmates, focus on yourself. You're the only one who can take the exams!

Do not keep taking prerequisite courses if you are doing poorly. You are going to need to take a break and reevaluate why you are doing poorly. If you keep doing poorly that you are digging yourself deeper in hole. Not much will change in 3-4 months. Your GPA is low if it keeps going down you're never ever going to get into dental school.

Dont focus on classmates, focus on yourself. You're the only one who can take the exams!
Absolutely.
Take a look at your study habits. I'm not 8n dental school yet but I believe it when everyone says it's like being fed with a fire hose....

Background story:

Circumstance:

TLDR version;

Do a masters in biomedical sciences or something similar. Don't do one in public health or something easy. It doesn't show that you can handle dental school courses. There are a ton of them out there, but make sure you do some research and look into how many people who graduate from that program get into a professional program.
Be careful that some schools will inflate their stats. For example, if 100 students graduated, and only 10 responded to the survey, and 9 got in, some will claim 90% of surveyed students got into a professional program. However, maybe only 9 got in while the other 91 didn't. I know it's an extreme example but I know it does happen.