This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

anubishead

New Member
5+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hey, so I'm wondering others' opinions on a topic I'm considering writing on for some of the 'additional comments' sections of secondaries. Essentially, I'm a Bio major and English minor, and my science GPA is a 3.7 from mostly A/A-'s, however, my cumulative GPA is a 3.6 because I found my English classes much more challenging and received mostly consistent B/B+'s in that department. I realize that this isn't a 'major slump' in grades though is certainly a weak point in my application, but also one I was happy to improve on by getting my higher english grades (including an A for the final class of my minor) as a junior/senior in college.

I had to work hard to improve my minor GPA in a competitive department, and also felt that I got a lot out of overcoming what was the biggest academic challenge I've faced thus far (really loved the classes too!). But I also know it can be unwise to highlight a weakness that isn't so glaring that it necessitates discussion. Thanks for your thoughts!
 
Hey, so I'm wondering others' opinions on a topic I'm considering writing on for some of the 'additional comments' sections of secondaries. Essentially, I'm a Bio major and English minor, and my science GPA is a 3.7 from mostly A/A-'s, however, my cumulative GPA is a 3.6 because I found my English classes much more challenging and received mostly consistent B/B+'s in that department. I realize that this isn't a 'major slump' in grades though is certainly a weak point in my application, but also one I was happy to improve on by getting my higher english grades (including an A for the final class of my minor) as a junior/senior in college.

I had to work hard to improve my minor GPA in a competitive department, and also felt that I got a lot out of overcoming what was the biggest academic challenge I've faced thus far (really loved the classes too!). But I also know it can be unwise to highlight a weakness that isn't so glaring that it necessitates discussion. Thanks for your thoughts!
Take two of these please:
upload_2017-8-7_16-4-25.jpeg
 
Your gpa isn't weak but, even if it was drawing attention to such a diffencentcy is likely to come across as making excuses.