distance learning biochem at UNECOM

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dr.kicia

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was just looking on their website. I like the school and plan to apply there next year (i guess one more place to apply too never hurts:D ) but noticed they need biochem and that they acctually offer it via dl. Sounded like a cool idea especially that i usually study by myself anyways and doing it DL would be good with managing my time around my schedule.
Anyone have taken this course or knows how it works etc.? Their website doesn't really go much into depth about it.

Members don't see this ad.

I was just looking on their website. I like the school and plan to apply there next year (i guess one more place to apply too never hurts:D ) but noticed they need biochem and that they acctually offer it via dl. Sounded like a cool idea especially that i usually study by myself anyways and doing it DL would be good with managing my time around my schedule.
Anyone have taken this course or knows how it works etc.? Their website doesn't really go much into depth about it.

yeah that was the 2nd time id heard from unecom, when they emailed me about their distance learning for biochem. im not sure how it works .. or if it even transfers if u go to another DO (or even MD) school ...

yeah i am not sure...it sounds great, and their web says it's approved by AOA so i guess should be good for the DO schools.
But maybe i will just take it at CC...it will be way cheeper.
Ideally I would take it at my university but there is only one prof who teaches it and she is pretty bad. And if i am going to have to pay over 2k for just one class i want to learn something LOL.
I will try to get more info on the UNECOM...i will post it here once i know anything so other ppl won't be asking the same question in few days:laugh:

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm not sure if this is the same website you saw...but here's the link I am aware of (it gives a pretty decent explanation of the course...use the tabs at the top to navigate further)...

http://faculty.une.edu/com/courses/bionut/distbio/distbiohome.html

It is a practical course that is useful in its application to medicine. It is biochemistry but with a slant toward providing background for the clinician.

Wook

I'm not sure if this is the same website you saw...but here's the link I am aware of (it gives a pretty decent explanation of the course...use the tabs at the top to navigate further)...

It is a practical course that is useful in its application to medicine. It is biochemistry but with a slant toward providing background for the clinician.

Wook

yep...i found that one...but thank you anyways :)
Now i guess i will just wait for someone who acctually took it and happens to run across this post :laugh:

Wook

Yeah, I knew that ... but wanted to know if its transferrable to any other DO school.

Hi all!
I took the UNE biochem course in the spring/summer to meet the requirement for UNECOM. I don't really know what you mean about it counting for a DO school---if you mean as a prerequisite, yes, I would believe it is like any other biochem you take (at an undergraduate level) and would meet the requirement as a prereq for medical school. But it's not on a graduate level so it's not like it would allow to you "place out" of biochem in medical school. However, I've been told by the professor that it is very similar to the biochem at UNECOM and I will be very well prepared having taken it. Keep in mind it is "medical biochemistry" with a focus on humans, not plants or animals. Perfect for medical school!

I'm happy to answer any other questions anyone has about this course. I really thought it was a great course and I learned A LOT, more than I thought I would.

Also, if you didn't know, UNE is an undergraduate institution, in which UNECOM, the medical school, is affiliated. So, you would be taking this biochem course through UNE, not through UNECOM. I would imagine it is transferrable just as any other course you would take at an undergraduate institution is.

To give you an idea, here is a link to the current and past class roster so you can see that people take it for a variety of programs (pre-med/vet/dental, PA, nursing, etc), who are from all over the country.

http://faculty.une.edu/com/courses/bionut/distbio/roster.html

Hi all!
I took the UNE biochem course in the spring/summer to meet the requirement for UNECOM. I don't really know what you mean about it counting for a DO school---if you mean as a prerequisite, yes, I would believe it is like any other biochem you take (at an undergraduate level) and would meet the requirement as a prereq for medical school. But it's not on a graduate level so it's not like it would allow to you "place out" of biochem in medical school. However, I've been told by the professor that it is very similar to the biochem at UNECOM and I will be very well prepared having taken it. Keep in mind it is "medical biochemistry" with a focus on humans, not plants or animals. Perfect for medical school!

I'm happy to answer any other questions anyone has about this course. I really thought it was a great course and I learned A LOT, more than I thought I would.

yeah thas what i was wondering, if taking this course takes the place of biochem taught in med school ... thanks.

Also, if you didn't know, UNE is an undergraduate institution, in which UNECOM, the medical school, is affiliated. So, you would be taking this biochem course through UNE, not through UNECOM. I would imagine it is transferrable just as any other course you would take at an undergraduate institution is.

To give you an idea, here is a link to the current and past class roster so you can see that people take it for a variety of programs (pre-med/vet/dental, PA, nursing, etc), who are from all over the country.

http://faculty.une.edu/com/courses/bionut/distbio/roster.html

thank you so much beachbunny...this answears a lot of questions. I am still going to email the school directly to ask if it counts for all institutions (like a normal class would).
I will post here once i get the answer.

Also if you wouldn't mind letting us know how did you like the course and how hard it was etc...that would be great :)

Hi Everybody,
I took the distance Biochem course earlier this year. Great course, convenient and has helped prepare me for the course we're taking now...if you can consider it...well I'll just stop there. Anyways, Dr. Y, the guy in the dvd's is a great professor who put a lot of time in organizing the distance biochem into a well-structured course. Once you take the final and your grade is sent to the registrar you can request the transcript be delivered to the admissions people here at UNECOM and check off that one last box of pre-reqs. Its very easy and can be done from the comfort of your home. Heck, the course is relatively easy and, yup you guessed it, is also accomplished from the comfort of your own home...well, the final exam is the exception to that, you either take it here on campus or somewhere you can arrange a proctor (like a library and a professor friend of yours) to administer the exam to you, take the responsibility of sealing it up and sending it back up here to UNE. Anyways, PM me or post something up here if you need any more info.
Cheers!

Hi Everybody,
I took the distance Biochem course earlier this year. Great course, convenient and has helped prepare me for the course we're taking now...if you can consider it...well I'll just stop there. Anyways, Dr. Y, the guy in the dvd's is a great professor who put a lot of time in organizing the distance biochem into a well-structured course. Once you take the final and your grade is sent to the registrar you can request the transcript be delivered to the admissions people here at UNECOM and check off that one last box of pre-reqs. Its very easy and can be done from the comfort of your home. Heck, the course is relatively easy and, yup you guessed it, is also accomplished from the comfort of your own home...well, the final exam is the exception to that, you either take it here on campus or somewhere you can arrange a proctor (like a library and a professor friend of yours) to administer the exam to you, take the responsibility of sealing it up and sending it back up here to UNE. Anyways, PM me or post something up here if you need any more info.
Cheers!
First of...thanks for the great post :D
do you know if it is transferable to other schools?

So i did some googling and it appears i found the answer to the question.
The biochem DL is acredited by New England Association of Schools and Colleges and the American Osteopathic Association. NEASC is one of the oldest regional acrediting bodies in the US and it serves 6 states.
If a anything is acredited by it plus AOA will transfer to all DO schools.:D

The Bio-chem course looks interesting. What about the o-chem series? Will this fulfill the o-chem requirement for med school?

You apply online for the course, you contact the school after application, and they mail you the course materials and direct you on how to access the information on the website. The person in charge of the course is [email protected] (Kathryn Thompson, PhD). And if they changed the application proces she would know. I hope that helps a little.
Oh, and if you take the distance learning course Biochemistry it does not exempt you from the Bichemistry course that is part of the curriculum even if it is an almost identical course.

I'm just wondering how hard the course is. How many hours of study per week should I set aside for it if i decide to take it and how long should I study for the final which I've heard is pretty tough.

I'm just wondering how hard the course is. How many hours of study per week should I set aside for it if i decide to take it and how long should I study for the final which I've heard is pretty tough.

Biochem: I would set aside 10-15 hours per week as a rough ballpark estimate to start with. Then adjust accordingly based on how well you retain the material. The practice exams are a good measuring stick as to how to adjust your study habits.
As for the final, I spent a good 3-4 days prior to the final reviewing everything, especially the areas I found more challenging to me based on my personal performance on the practice exams and the assigned questions in the Board Review Series book (the other textbook you receive with the whole tuition package).

With respect to the distance OChem course, I'm not too familiar with it. I know of one person I was going to PT school with who was taking it. If I recall correctly, she enjoyed taking the course and was able to successfully complete it while taking a full graduate school course load. So, between the two distance courses I might say OChem is more demanding a subject and require more time devoted to it. Personally, I would take Biochem distance and OChem at a university. OChem is much more fun with the lab component. Which makes me wonder just how comprehensive the distance courses is...

Hi Everybody,
Cheers!

I concur with fozziewan, and would add that it is not a fly by night class. You actually have to do work for it, and it will help to show the clinical and theory together. The final exam should be taken seriously. Like fozziewan, I spent a several days studying for it and did fine, but I had to prepare for the exam. I actually still have the book and referred to it about 4 months ago for a question I had (I took the class in 2001).

Wook

Wook

So I'm thinking about retaking ochem 1. Would there be any reason to at this point (apps are already sent out and verified)? But if I did would this online ochem class work?