How is UNECOM/ how accurate is this 2017 thread about i?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dreamingabouta528

Medical Student
Reaction score
I was researching UNECOM because I was considering applying to it and I came across this thread from 2017:
While UNECOM does seem like a good school, there are a lot of concerning things that OP mentions in there. One question wrong being a fail, a high fail rate for first years, an extreme focus on OMT, etc.. Is this thread accurate? If it is, is it still current? While I get that medical school is hard, this seems a bit extreme and honestly, LECOM is more appealing even given their rules. (I know I haven't gotten into either so it's not like I'm making that decision but I'm still spending money on this process so whatever.)

Members don't see this ad.

I was researching UNECOM because I was considering applying to it and I came across this thread from 2017:
While UNECOM does seem like a good school, there are a lot of concerning things that OP mentions in there. One question wrong being a fail, a high fail rate for first years, an extreme focus on OMT, etc.. Is this thread accurate? If it is, is it still current? While I get that medical school is hard, this seems a bit extreme and honestly, LECOM is more appealing even given their rules. (I know I haven't gotten into either so it's not like I'm making that decision but I'm still spending money on this process so whatever.)
I think typically about 5% either can't continue because of academics or personal reasons. Some just can't make the transition to the increased amount of material required to be absorbed. Some get overwhelmed emotionally and need counseling and or meds. Well, expect to learn OMT. I mean, you did apply to obtain a degree in Osteopathic Medicine. Fit is very important for some students. A good fit will help lesen the stress because any med school will challenge you and require you to up your academic game. If you only have one acceptance, then go with it and work hard to make the best of it. Good luck and best wishes!

Reactions: 1 users
As the original poster in the thread you posted said, you will get what you put into it. This will be true of any school. The old adage of drinking out of a fire house is a good description of the amount of information you will get at any medical school.

If you put in the work, you decrease the likelihood that you will fail any class. If you are a student that struggles in school, you will need to put in even more work than you classmates. This will be true of any school you attend.

As the poster above stated, you will learn OMT, which is taught at on Osteopathic School.

With all this being said, you will learn and adapt to the stress medical school will give you. You will learn to balance school/life balance.

I did not fail any exams at UNECOM, and like most of my classmates, we spent the time learning the material. My education there has allowed me to achieve all the goals I had when I started this trip. My family loved Maine, and I have fond memories of some of the outings I went on.

Talk to graduates and current students. As Angus said, fit may be an important factor for you, and it may be helpful to see if the school is a good fit for you.

Be safe and good luck!

Wook

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I left UNECOM because it's awful. The Dean is a clown and anyone in administration that dares disagree with her is sidelined. Various faculty have showed me their dirty laundry and financial spreadsheets, good God the administration lies to students so much its absurd. Get a forensic accountant in there and hooooooo boy heads would roll.
Students body is fake af too, another friend of mine who also left said the same thing. Felt like being in middle school again tbh.
They really have no idea what they're doing and I feel sorry for any chump who actually thinks it's a good school.

I left UNECOM because it's awful. The Dean is a clown and anyone in administration that dares disagree with her is sidelined. Various faculty have showed me their dirty laundry and financial spreadsheets, good God the administration lies to students so much its absurd. Get a forensic accountant in there and hooooooo boy heads would roll.
Students body is fake af too, another friend of mine who also left said the same thing. Felt like being in middle school again tbh.
They really have no idea what they're doing and I feel sorry for any chump who actually thinks it's a good school.
Dude why are you still trolling SDN??? I see you all over threads and it’s ridiculous. Just because med school wasn’t right for you doesn’t mean that it’s not right for anyone or that anyone is going to have a similar experience to yours. You are fear mongering and it’s unnecessary. Leave SDN and move on.

Dude why are you still trolling SDN??? I see you all over threads and it’s ridiculous. Just because med school wasn’t right for you doesn’t mean that it’s not right for anyone or that anyone is going to have a similar experience to yours. You are fear mongering and it’s unnecessary. Leave SDN and move on.
I know this is a difficult concept for younger people to grasp but just because someone says something you don't like doesn't mean they're trolling.
Oh yeah, and that friend I mentioned was so miserable there they tried to kill themselves.
Based on your posting history it sounds like you haven't even started medical school (and it sounds like your going to UNECOM?). I also ignored people who warned me. Just don't act like you weren't warned when you finally take off the rose colored glasses and accept reality.
I'm always amused when people who haven't even gone to medical school act like they know better than those who have lol.

I don’t think there’s a particularly high fail rate. If you fail first year, they will let you try again. If you fail first year twice they won’t. I think we lost a couple of students each semester and at least 2 of them are trying again. I actually think the faculty support in the first year is excellent. Yes, there’s a lot of OMM, it’s an osteopathic school. You need OMM to pass COMLEX. That being said, we spend max 4 hours per week in OMM class and it doesn’t take a lot of pre or post class work (many weeks we get done early). I have heard this “if you get one question wrong you fail” thing before and it’s just not true. You can get 30% of questions wrong and pass. In the first year they break questions out in a couple of different ways and sometimes people have to re-test in a science discipline (like immunology, that is one that’s harder to pass) but they won’t even make you re-test if there aren’t enough questions. We had a science discipline that had only 35 questions over the first semester and they told us that wasn’t enough to determine that we lacked competency in the discipline so we wouldn’t have to retest if we got more than 30% of the discipline wrong. There are very few nutrition questions 2nd semester, so you might technically be failing nutrition, but it won’t hold you back. I can’t comment on much past these details. I have heard directly from doctors in regional residency programs that they think highly of UNE students. I have heard mixed reviews from students who have gone through further, but we have TAs from 2nd & 3rd years and they have all been really smart and prepared for their boards. In my prep I tend to do better on COMLEX questions than USMLE, but I’m guessing that’s normal and they are pass fail so I’m not worried. I think there were only a couple of students who didn’t pass COMLEX this year, but that is all hearsay. In any case, there are not massive numbers of students failing out or failing to match.