choctruffle

2+ Year Member
Jul 2, 2018
Status
  1. Pre-Medical
Hi everyone! I've been enrolled in UCLA Extension as a DIY postbacc since Fall 2019. According to the school's policy, there's usually a 1-2 week refund/transfer period where you can add/drop classes and still get a full refund (it's a school with no admission application and you pay per unit). After that, you can still withdraw classes (usually up until the day before finals) without a refund, and the "W" notation will appear on your record, but not on your official transcript. I believe UCSD Extension is also similar in this policy. Here's what the school website states:

"If after the final refund date, you decide to discontinue participating in your course, you have the option to withdraw up until the end of day (11:59pm PT) on the final withdrawal date. A grade of “W” will be placed on your record, but the course will not appear on your transcript. No refunds are available for course withdrawal."
Course Drops, Transfers, and Withdrawals | UCLA Continuing Education Online

www.uclaextension.edu
www.uclaextension.edu

I've since withdrawn 4 classes (in 3 separate quarters) after the refund/transfer deadline because my dumb self thought that since these withdrawals were not on my official transcript, they were the same as adds/drops within the normal add/drop period, just without a refund, and thus won't affect my apps. 2 W's were because I had poor study skills and time management and wanted to focus on the MCAT, and the other 2 W's were due to family issues. I will have taken 6 quarters of postbacc classes by the time I apply, with 3 being part-time. Now that the 2021-2022 application season is coming, will I need to include these W classes (they're not on my official and unofficial transcript, but they're on my enrollment history and the grades are W's) on the AMCAS? I called AMCAS and they said no because they only check official transcripts, not the school's website, but I'm still not sure. If I do list them, how severely will it hurt my application chances - especially in a DIY post-bacc designed to repair my GPA? I was hoping I wouldn't have to list them bc I think it'll hurt my apps so much, but if I need to include them, then I definitely will.

Here's what 2021 AMCAS manual said about withdrawals:
"A Withdrawal includes any course you officially withdrew from, regardless of whether you were passing or failing at the time. Such courses usually appear on the transcript as a “W” or equivalent symbol. No credit hours or AMCAS grade will be assigned for Withdrawals, except in cases where the school includes the Withdrawal failing grade in the GPA as an “F.”
A course entry should not be made if the course was dropped within the normal drop/add period and does not appear on your transcript. The courses from which you made unofficial or administrative withdrawals will be included in your AMCAS GPAs if your school included them in its GPA.
If you withdrew entirely from a school before completing courses for a specific term, you must still list each course for which you were registered that term, with Withdrawal as the Special Course Type. If the school does not issue transcripts for students who withdraw entirely, you must ask the registrar’s office to forward an official letter (with an AMCAS Transcript Request Form attached) indicating that no transcript is available because of institutional policies."

**My other stats are cGPA = 3.61, sGPA = 3.5 (both w/ postbacc GPA added), and MCAT = 519. Fluctulating trends in UG grades, all A's and 1 A- in postbacc classes. Decent EC's in underserved communities, clinical experience and research (no pubs). My apologies that I won't get into more detail here.

hamiltonnyc

2+ Year Member
Jun 13, 2018
Yes, you have to report it. This is something they consider dishonest reporting, which is a big red flag in medicine. Even if you replaced a grade and the original grade doesn't show on the official transcript, you have to report the original grade.

• Dislike
Reactions: 1 user
Jul 29, 2019
Status
  1. Pre-Medical
If the W is not on your transcript, then you do not need to report it. I'm also a student at UCLA Extension, and the W's on your Enrollment tab are mainly for bookkeeping purposes, and have no "officiality" to them whatsoever. Whatever is on your transcript is what goes.

• Dislike
Reactions: 1 user
About the Ads

hamiltonnyc

2+ Year Member
Jun 13, 2018

When entering coursework, you must include information and corresponding grades for every course in which you have ever enrolled at any U.S., U.S. Territorial, or Canadian post-secondary institution, regardless of whether you earned credit. This includes, but is not limited to, withdrawals, repeats, failures, incompletes, and future coursework. Courses removed from your transcripts or GPA as a result of academic bankruptcy, forgiveness, or similar institutional policies must also be included.

Jul 29, 2019
Status
  1. Pre-Medical

1) The OP literally CALLED AMCAS and they said OP doesn't need to report it.

2) You're not a student at UCLA Extension. The "W" they're referring to is on a webpage for bookkeeping your enrollment history. It literally has no officiality to them whatsoever. It's not student records.

hamiltonnyc

2+ Year Member
Jun 13, 2018
1) The OP literally CALLED AMCAS and they said OP doesn't need to report it.

2) You're not a student at UCLA Extension. The "W" they're referring to is on a webpage for bookkeeping your enrollment history. It literally has no officiality to them whatsoever. It's not student records.

If you all are confident about it then do as you please. I'm just here posting official AMCAS statements.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.
About the Ads