DMU info from ya'll

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Thousandth

Ride This!
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey can those of you who have interviewed at DMU please comment on there impressions of the school and town, also why or why not you acepted there.

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Check out the "interview feedback" portion on this website....

I have had a lot of success at this school, but my advice to any applicant is to do carefull research about this school and only attend this school if you did not get into any other school. Applicants seem not to know everything about this school and are fooled by a few people saying nice things about this place. Good Luck.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thousandth,
I can assure you that I am not "fooled" as some say about people who are happy at DMU. Everything I have heard is great. I am currently at the University of Iowa, and my boss informed me that every D.O. he has ever had from DMU has been outstanding. In fact, his head resident in the allergy dept of internal medicine is a graduate of DMU (over many MDs). My brother also graduated from there and is doing a very competitive allopathic residency at Wash U in St. Louis. my advice is not to be fooled by people who tell you not to be fooled.

When I was offered acceptance I took it very happily because it was the only place that I felt the students were happy and was by far the least competitive atmosphere I had encountered. The students were very cooperative and not militant about their studies. Don't get me wrong, everyone worked their a$$e$ off. It just seems that the other schools I went to seemed to have a lot of students sitting around all depressed and what not, which is obviously not appealing. It's a great place and does not need to be a last resort. If anything, it is a top choice.

It seems to me that ripulpancal is the only one on here that is so negative about DMU. Personally I have three acceptances that I need to decide on in the next couple of weeks. DMU, UHS and UNE and I think that DMU is going to be my choice.

Josh

ME TOOO ME TOOOO. I chose DMU over UHS and a couple other schools. RIPACUUUUUUUUUUUUUGOOOO AWAYYYYYYYYY is the only one here that bashes DMU. He obviously has a person problem with them. Don't Listen to this man. I loved DMU. The area is nice, a small town feel. They have THE BEST OMMM program and no one can argue that point. They have decent board scores and a cardiac simulator. I hope to attend school there next year.

Originally posted by drhodz
Check out the "interview feedback" portion on this website....

Yeah I have been reading them but I wanted a more verbose feeling of the school and area.

I have a few post cards that I can upload later. But the town is 50 miles wide including the outskirt areas. It was about 20-30 degrees with a thin blanket of snow covering the ground. The houses around the area had that old time feeling with wood porches almost Victorian. The churches are also an interesting sight to see (red brick and bell towers....I am getting married soon so I noticed strange things). There is a huge lake about five minutes from the school. In the summer the students say they bike around that area. There are two or so malls that are decent, but not huge. Des Moines is the capital city for Iowa, so they have the capital building, which I went into. The governor is known to jog by school from time to time since he lives close by. The school has a little construction going on which may be a turn off for some, but it will be done in our second year with a cafeteria, running track etc.. The school did not cover a couple blocks. It was more like one block. So, the school was a little smaller than I expected and the building was nothing spectacular, but just ordinary. The entering class is huge about 200 or so. The classroom for the first year class not amphitheatre style, instead it is one huge room with three large screens that come down so you can see the speaker. They are into having fun for example I saw costumes at the person house I stayed with. I guess last year they had a huge Halloween party for the school and the pics were very funny!!

If you take the time to talk to other "Des Moineans" then you'll see how much the people there like it.... Meaning, talk to people working at the bookstore, coffee shops, etc.... Next thing you know, you'll have a small community that will welcome you with open arms.

Every school has its ups and down, just pick the school that fits you the most.... Not everyone fits DMU and not everyone should go to DMU. There are certain students that do well at DMU....

The school is constantly evolving and in the next year, the new building will be up.... Talk about state of the art!!!

The town is awesome, I've gotten to know the people that work at Barnes and Noble, Starbucks, Manhattan Deli --- during the times I've studied and I kid you not that I've gotten a few free items from all of them.... From coffee, food, books as I study at their respective establishments.

There are plenty of diverse restaurants, coming from California this was very important as I needed the diversity, and I found everything - not always the same quality - but nonetheless Des Moines offers plenty of things to eat and do.

If you're really gung ho to go somewhere big, then you can drive up to Chicago which is only 4.5-5 hours away....

Anyway, I've got to relax before I have to work tonight.... Good luck in your decision. If you can visit DMU/Des Moines and find out for yourself....

I think they have a winter storm warning today that closed the school at 3pm so if you don't like snow, then you may want to think twice :)

I am not bashing the school, but I am simply telling the truth of things that happened at that school. I hope applicants don't get fooled by the lies people say about that school in these forums. These people say nice things about the school because they are influenced by admissions to do so through these forums. There are many people who have a different view point of this school, but don't have the time or don't know that they can express them through these forums. There are many people who did not get their rotations of choice and got stuck with below average sites. Good Luck to all applicants.

Honestly ripulpancal2000, do just pull crap out of your butt all day?

These people say nice things about the school because they are influenced by admissions to do so through these forums.

That is about the dumbest thing I have ever heard. For your information the admission staff didnt' even know about this site until about 2 years ago when a couple of us that work there pointed it out to them. Not to mention I have been conducting interviews, doing tours, and answering questions for applicants for the admissions department (I am a student) for almost 18 months now and I have never been told what to say, nor to bend the truth. What you claim is either a bold lie or flat ignorance.

There are many people who have a different view point of this school, but don't have the time or don't know that they can express them through these forums.

So what you are saying is that students that like their experience are willing to share and know that perhaps on the internet their may be a way to do so, but those that don't like the school are either unwilling to complain (which I find unlikely, I would hope people would so we could improve in areas we are deficient) or are to stupid to realize that their may be a forum to do so? Again...see my response above.

There are many people who did not get their rotations of choice and got stuck with below average sites.

None of DMU's sites are below average. You get out of them what you put in. And yes not everyone gets their rotations of choice, but here is a news flash for you: ITS THE SAME AT EVERY SCHOOL. You can't please everyone and yes occasionally you don't get exactly what you want. If their are only 3 openings at Mayo for DMU students and 27 people want to go their guess what....24 aren't going to get to. Not to mention DMU allows you to setup 70% of your own rotations so even those that don't get their first choice in the rotation match, will still get to control where they go for over 50% of their rotations. Its called math. DMU works very hard to ensure everything works out for the best. When their is problems with rotations sites everyone is treated as fairly as possible and a computer is used to make the best fits using the students own ranked preferences. The only thing I could see as slightly unfair is that we have a contract to fill 40 spots in the Ohio Core. Most years more that 40 people request those spots. This year only 38 did, so yes 2 people had to go to Ohio they may have not wanted to but even they were accomodated and given 1st choice as to where in Ohio and all students are allowed to trade.

Finally I am beginging to doubt your claims. I think it is more likely that you are actualy a very disgrunteled DMU student in your 2nd/3rd/4th year that is very unhappy that they didn't get everything handed to them on platter.

Originally posted by ripulpancal2000
These people say nice things about the school because they are influenced by admissions to do so through these forums.

Wow.

If I am being "influenced" by ANYBODY to say what I have said about DMU, I'd better be getting a fat check in the mail soon. :p

I have respected your opinion, as you are very well entitled to have one, but some of the BS you spout is just ridiculous.

I want a check tooooo =))))) I don't even go to school there yet!! But I have lots of nice things to say about them and people that I met around campus.

I am not a disgruntled student. I have done very well at the school and have provided a lot for this school. Unlike you and others, I am telling the truth. Stop lying to applicants. Clinical rotations are not the same at all schools. Clincal affairs has given a hard time to many many many many many students. I want applicants to realize this. Good Luck to all applicants.

Hey ripulpancal2000....

+pity+ would you like some cheese and crackers to go with that whine?....Social hansen (leper for the lay people):smuggrin:

what's up lucky....been a while, huh?

Raj, what up gangsta?

How about that Phys test today......that was a kick in b@lls:thumbdown:

duuude...why don't you pay attn to this wacky ophtho freak?

Yeah...good thing I don't have balls ;)

I am not whining about DMU. Many people do not like this school, and unfortunately I am the only one telling about the bad things of this school. Not all of the many people who hate this school have time to put posts blasting DMU nor do they know about Student Doctor Network. I hope applicants realize a lot of bad things go on at DMU and think carefull before attending this school.

Ripul, I haven't gotten the message from your last 18 posts, do you not like DMU? :p