Do adcoms care if you're in a serious relationship?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted803410

I have been with the same person for 5 years; clearly we are very serious. I know I am not the only person entering medical school while in a serious relationship, but how does this reflect to a medical school? If they find a picture of me on my social media with someone who is obviously my SO, will they ask about them in an interview?

Basically, my concern is that they will assume that I am so dedicated to my SO that I may or may not choose their school based on proximity to my partner, etc. when in reality my partner is very supportive of whatever I choose, wherever it is, and will come to be with me in whatever city my medical school is located in. Therefore, I would not be influenced by my partner at all in my choosing of a medical school.

Obviously, I will be honest if asked about my relationship because there is nothing to hide really, but would they even ask?

Members don't see this ad.

They will not ask you about your significant other specifically. It could come up in a "What kind of support system do you have" type of question but that's it.

Unlikely that the ~70 year old interviewing you will have the motivation or wherewithal to trawl your Facebook account for "gotcha" material, let alone indications about the seriousness of your relationship.

No disrespect to the ~35 year old (wink wink) forum members who also conduct interviews.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I have been with the same person for 5 years; clearly we are very serious. I know I am not the only person entering medical school while in a serious relationship, but how does this reflect to a medical school? If they find a picture of me on my social media with someone who is obviously my SO, will they ask about them in an interview?

Basically, my concern is that they will assume that I am so dedicated to my SO that I may or may not choose their school based on proximity to my partner, etc. when in reality my partner is very supportive of whatever I choose, wherever it is, and will come to be with me in whatever city my medical school is located in. Therefore, I would not be influenced by my partner at all in my choosing of a medical school.

Obviously, I will be honest if asked about my relationship because there is nothing to hide really, but would they even ask?
No. Next question.

Reactions: 1 user
They will not ask you about your significant other specifically. It could come up in a "What kind of support system do you have" type of question but that's it.

Oh okay. That's good then, my partner is part of my great support system.

Unlikely that the ~70 year old interviewing you will have the motivation or wherewithal to trawl your Facebook account for "gotcha" material, let alone indications about the seriousness of your relationship.

No disrespect to the ~35 year old (wink wink) forum members who also conduct interviews.

lol. Good point!

Lol I applied for the PSAP at Jefferson and got rejected partially because of my committment to my then fiance and the likelihood of me relocating to a rural area based on his job. That sucked.

I know someone who got an interview after emailing the adcom when their longterm partner was accepted. Granted they were both very strong applicants but that's about the only situation I can think of that it would affect anything.

Yeah man med schools only accept single people so make sure to break up with you SO. It will also hurt your chances if you have too many photos with your parents on facebook so make sure to take those down. They will infer that you love them too much and will not want to choose their school based on proximity to your parents.

Reactions: 1 user
Yeah man med schools only accept single people so make sure to break up with you SO. It will also hurt your chances if you have too many photos with your parents on facebook so make sure to take those down. They will infer that you love them too much and will not want to choose their school based on proximity to your parents.

well shoot, sucks to be my SO then : - ) and my parents too because they made a real gem, poor souls. This is the price of medical school I guess. :bigtears::bigtears::bigtears::bigtears::bigtears::bigtears::bigtears::bigtears::bigtears::bigtears::bigtears::bigtears::bigtears::bigtears::bigtears:

Reactions: 1 users