Do Carribean Med Schools care for GPA??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

palumacella

Full Member
5+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Do Carribean med schools look heavily into gpa? I'm hearing a mix of yes and no. I know St. George's factors in gpa. I'm looking into St. Matthew's, Ross and AUA. I've seen little to no mention of gpa requirements on their websites, which is why I need clarification. Thanks.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
You need more than a pulse to get in. A strong personal statement and interview can fill in where you lack in gpa and mcat and if you don't have the stats, then they might have you do a foundations program before they accept you. They make you take first year like classes to see if you can cut it.
 
You need more than a pulse to get in. A strong personal statement and interview can fill in where you lack in gpa and mcat and if you don't have the stats, then they might have you do a foundations program before they accept you. They make you take first year like classes to see if you can cut it.
😕
 
Do Carribean med schools look heavily into gpa? I'm hearing a mix of yes and no. I know St. George's factors in gpa. I'm looking into St. Matthew's, Ross and AUA. I've seen little to no mention of gpa requirements on their websites, which is why I need clarification. Thanks.

Everything in education is about supply and demand. If schools get a lot of good applicants, then demand exceeds supply, thus GPA becomes a large factor. If schools get not as many good applicants, then GPA isn't as much of a factor. Schools in the Caribbean pretty much get the majority of people who couldn't get in due to a poor GPA or MCAT, hence why we say to get into the Caribbean "do you have a pulse?"
 
Ive never heard of St. Matthews or AUA, and I doubt any residency director has either, which means you shouldnt consider going there.

To answer your question: Ross does consider gpa. Don't quote me on this but I THINK a 2.8+ is competitive for Ross (their average accepted gpa is 3.1 according to their website). Still pretty low, but Ross and SGU wont take kids with a 1.8, no matter how commas they can write on a check

3.0 and a 500 and you'll probably get into one of the "top tier" caribbeans.
 
Last edited:
Do Carribean med schools look heavily into gpa? I'm hearing a mix of yes and no. I know St. George's factors in gpa. I'm looking into St. Matthew's, Ross and AUA. I've seen little to no mention of gpa requirements on their websites, which is why I need clarification. Thanks.

St Matthews - California disapproved i.e. will never be approved by them again. That means you're immediately disqualified from applying to residencies in 7-8 states.
AUA - look up the posts here and elsewhere. AUA is notorious for holding MANY students back for not passing their COMP. It's headache that's just not worth taking.
I'd choose Ross if the choice was between those three.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Do Carribean med schools look heavily into gpa? I'm hearing a mix of yes and no. I know St. George's factors in gpa. I'm looking into St. Matthew's, Ross and AUA. I've seen little to no mention of gpa requirements on their websites, which is why I need clarification. Thanks.
You like the idea of being deeply in debt and unemployed?