Do Carribean Med Schools care for GPA??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

palumacella

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Do Carribean med schools look heavily into gpa? I'm hearing a mix of yes and no. I know St. George's factors in gpa. I'm looking into St. Matthew's, Ross and AUA. I've seen little to no mention of gpa requirements on their websites, which is why I need clarification. Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Hardly. They only really care whether or not you can pay their tuition.

Reactions: 10 users
Members don't see this ad :)
You need more than a pulse to get in. A strong personal statement and interview can fill in where you lack in gpa and mcat and if you don't have the stats, then they might have you do a foundations program before they accept you. They make you take first year like classes to see if you can cut it.

You need more than a pulse to get in. A strong personal statement and interview can fill in where you lack in gpa and mcat and if you don't have the stats, then they might have you do a foundations program before they accept you. They make you take first year like classes to see if you can cut it.
:confused:

Reactions: 1 user
GPA? nah who needs it. MCAT? nah they don't need that either. Money? as long as you can give it to them you're in.. until you fail out anyways.

Reactions: 8 users
:greedy: Only thing matters along with a half-ass GPA.

Last edited:
Do Carribean med schools look heavily into gpa? I'm hearing a mix of yes and no. I know St. George's factors in gpa. I'm looking into St. Matthew's, Ross and AUA. I've seen little to no mention of gpa requirements on their websites, which is why I need clarification. Thanks.

Everything in education is about supply and demand. If schools get a lot of good applicants, then demand exceeds supply, thus GPA becomes a large factor. If schools get not as many good applicants, then GPA isn't as much of a factor. Schools in the Caribbean pretty much get the majority of people who couldn't get in due to a poor GPA or MCAT, hence why we say to get into the Caribbean "do you have a pulse?"

Ive never heard of St. Matthews or AUA, and I doubt any residency director has either, which means you shouldnt consider going there.

To answer your question: Ross does consider gpa. Don't quote me on this but I THINK a 2.8+ is competitive for Ross (their average accepted gpa is 3.1 according to their website). Still pretty low, but Ross and SGU wont take kids with a 1.8, no matter how commas they can write on a check

3.0 and a 500 and you'll probably get into one of the "top tier" caribbeans.

Last edited:
Dude, do you even want to be a doctor? From your other thread if your parents are forcing you into this ya need to grow a spine and tell them it's none of their business.

Reactions: 2 users

St Matthews - California disapproved i.e. will never be approved by them again. That means you're immediately disqualified from applying to residencies in 7-8 states.
AUA - look up the posts here and elsewhere. AUA is notorious for holding MANY students back for not passing their COMP. It's headache that's just not worth taking.
I'd choose Ross if the choice was between those three.

You like the idea of being deeply in debt and unemployed?

They don't care about your stats. You should care about theirs.

Reactions: 4 users
There's no official cutoff, but students whose tuition checks cleared and have a 1.0+ GPA and 472+ MCAT have a super strong chance of being admitted

Reactions: 1 users