DO for Canadians: 2011-2012

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
There are DOs making 500 dollars an hour in Hollywood, and their time slots are booked.

:thumbup: haha a lot of people in my class were talking about this recently

Members don't see this ad.

Hey guys,

What bank allows you to get a 200,000 K LOC for schools in the US. For RBC, the lady strickly told me that it was 150K at prime and that no one has ever gotten more than 150 for schools in the US at any bank. Ive heard on the forums that people get more, can you guys tell me which banks and if the RBC lady was right

you can get more from rbc if you have a strong consignor. If your consignor owns their home, there are options to get more.

Members don't see this ad :)
So if your cosigner owns no home nor car, you can only get $150k? Is there a requirement for cosigner's income?

So if your cosigner owns no home nor car, you can only get $150k? Is there a requirement for cosigner's income?

I think this question will be best answered at the bank after a credit check.
I went to RBC few weeks back and the lady told me I may not even need a cosigner (depending on how much I need to take out and what my future career/specialty projection will be).
But I'd imagine as long as your credit line is not completely messed up, then it wouldn't be too difficult to receive a loan. I was told before that some ppl took out 150k each from RBC and BMO.

I think this question will be best answered at the bank after a credit check.
I went to RBC few weeks back and the lady told me I may not even need a cosigner (depending on how much I need to take out and what my future career/specialty projection will be).
But I'd imagine as long as your credit line is not completely messed up, then it wouldn't be too difficult to receive a loan. I was told before that some ppl took out 150k each from RBC and BMO.
If you are getting a student LOC you will need a cosigner simply because the school is in the US. No doubt about that. The lady you are dealing with is incorrect unless its some other type of loan. The cosigner ties you to Canada so you can't default the loan. I make more money than my cosigners. I went to 2 RBC's and was told the same thing. Trust me, they tell you that you might not need a cosigner, but you will. I have plenty of good history with RBC and TD and was unable to get away from the cosigner requirement.

How does AACOMAS calculate courses with lab component but it's only worth 3 unit-- not 4 unit as in the States? Do they just calculate everything based on what is noted on transcript as ( 3 unit, 6 unit, 9 unit) and only check to see lab component has been satisfied?

hmm... i think all the courses (or mostly all) with lab components are counted as 4 semester hours, so you just list 4 units in the transcript section of aacomas, where it asks for the units of each course... and then aacomas just verifies using your transcript, and the course descriptions, which would mention lab components..

I've heard horror stories about trying to be a DO in Canada.

Members don't see this ad :)
Here's a few facts for you. In Saskatchewan Canada Osteopaths can't even practice medicine. They are restricted to MM only. They can't prescribe medications, perform surgery, etc. And in Newfoundland Canada licenses (LMCC, COMLEX, USMLE, FLEX, NBME ) osteopaths have gotten elsewhere are not even recognized.

To quote CANDO : Please, Please don't post on Canada unless you know that your facts are correct. Some of us have worked for over 25 years trying to improve the status of full licensure across Canada. Gradually this has been achieved. There is now the Canadian standard on full licensure agreed to by all provinces. Except for PEI there is a written committment to this standard which includes U.S. trained osteopathic physicians. In fact some of us have had full licensure in Canada since 1987. D.O.'s are entitled to take all licensure exams. Quebec has allowed full licensure for many years but no one really applied. If one looks at the web site of their licensing body today you will see that it specifically states acceptance of the U.S. osteopathic medical degree. We try hard to get the facts out correctly however too often these posts don't reflect the correct information and make our work for the profession more difficult.

+1 or speak with a current practicing DO in Canada who is involved with the progression of Osteopathic Movement in Canada.

I've heard horror stories about trying to be a DO in Canada.

From who? One of the less than 10 DO physicians in Canada? One of the thousands of MD physicians who just happens to know one of those 10 DOs? Oh please. I call bull****

As mashmetoo pointed out with your citing, you are clearly an idiot. Maybe do a bit of research/ hit the search button before you come on here and make inaccurate statements

I think you should go the Caribbean I hear theres a very good chance you can become a radiation oncologist, dermatologist, and opthamologist if you graduate from one of those schools:idea: They have REALLY good match rates back to Canada as well:rolleyes:

I think you should go the Caribbean I hear theres a very good chance you can become a radiation oncologist, dermatologist, and opthamologist if you graduate from one of those schools:idea: They have REALLY good match rates back to Canada as well:rolleyes:

Your DO match rate sucks too so I wouldn't poke fun at the Caribbean.

From who? One of the less than 10 DO physicians in Canada? One of the thousands of MD physicians who just happens to know one of those 10 DOs? Oh please. I call bull****

As mashmetoo pointed out with your citing, you are clearly an idiot. Maybe do a bit of research/ hit the search button before you come on here and make inaccurate statements

The Osteopaths I heard this from were not doctors.

For crying out loud, why are there so many haters on this forum?

You got me. If you don't want to apply DO then don't. Go to the Carib or Ireland or Australia and good luck.

:thumbdown:

Please stop making stuff up. http://www.catie.ca is not a chiropractic site.

Ok, that was my bad, I saw :

Canadian Chiropractic Examining Board
Suite 103, 1144 - 29th Avenue NE
Calgary, Alberta T2E 7P1
www.cceb.ca
(403)230-5997

at the end, and I assumed the site was a chiropractic site, you are right that it's not**

Nonetheless, what you did was you posted a quote regarding Osteopathic licensure in Canada from a section of an HIV site regarding massages and shiatsu and chiropractors.
Then you made the inference that
" In Canada, the practice of Osteopathy is much more restricted. Alberta and British Columbia allow Doctors of Osteopathy to be licensed as physicians but this is not the case in other provinces." must be a true statement.

I can tell you right now, it's false.

The Osteopaths I heard this from were not doctors.

You must have missed the memo on this one:

What’s the difference between an Osteopath and an Osteopathic Physician?
Only graduates from DO schools in the United States of America are considered physicians with equivalent practice rights to MDs. The Osteopathic Colleges in Canada, England, Scotland, etc. (ie. you have the Canadian college of Osteopathy http://www.osteopathiecollege.com/) also grant DO degrees, but graduates from these colleges are limited to Osteopathic Manipulative Medicine (which is a cornerstone of what makes Osteopathic medicine different from Allopathic medicine). These schools do not offer the full medical training of American Colleges of Osteopathic Medicine. Osteopaths are not physicians, and cannot register with the CPSO, or any medical specialty in Canada or the US; they fall in the same category as naturopaths and chiropractors. US-trained Doctors of Osteopathic Medicine are fully licensed physicians.

Ok, that was my bad, I saw :

Canadian Chiropractic Examining Board
Suite 103, 1144 - 29th Avenue NE
Calgary, Alberta T2E 7P1
www.cceb.ca
(403)230-5997

at the end, and I assumed the site was a chiropractic site, you are right that it's not**

Nonetheless, what you did was you posted a quote regarding Osteopathic licensure in Canada from a section of an HIV site regarding massages and shiatsu and chiropractors.
Then you made the inference that
" In Canada, the practice of Osteopathy is much more restricted. Alberta and British Columbia allow Doctors of Osteopathy to be licensed as physicians but this is not the case in other provinces." must be a true statement.

I can tell you right now, it's false.

I did not quote them or use them as a source in anything I stated and/or claimed.

Your DO match rate sucks too so I wouldn't poke fun at the Caribbean.

Not really? Would you like me get the data off the CaRMs website for you?

Its something like 19% chance of matching back into Canada for IMGs (caribbean, Australia, etc) Vs US medical graduates of 60% (only 35 tried last year)

Now keep this in mind, if one has to fall back on staying in the US as Canadian:
1) IMG --> 40% (2010), 42 % (2009. 2008 too)
2) US DO --> We can apply to some DO residencies AND the ACGME (MD) residencies. The DO match rates can be found on these forums but off top of my head the numbers are like 80% or higher
Reference: nrmp.org

Also, US DO/MD students get placed into the Canadian Medical Graduate stream (CMG). IMGs have their own ****ty stream competing for a very small # of spots and fight for 2nd round spots (the left overs)

So thanks for coming out, have a nice day

I did not quote them or use them as a source in anything I stated and/or claimed.

" In Canada, the practice of Osteopathy is much more restricted. Alberta and British Columbia allow Doctors of Osteopathy to be licensed as physicians but this is not the case in other provinces."
http://www.catie.ca/en/practical-gu...s/3-wellness-strategies/37-massage-and-manipu

Do you deny that you posted this?? It looks like you are using them as a source of information to make a claim by posting that. Unless of course your dog accidentally pressed on your keyboard.

Do you deny that you posted this?? It looks like you are using them as a source of information to make a claim by posting that. Unless of course your dog accidentally pressed on your keyboard.

:thumbup:

Go to the islands
No ones stopping you

I have no respinsibilites to try and convince you that you are in the right direction

Bc at the end of the day thats wat it is trying to assure yourself your going to right way

You should understand that be it DO or islands theres a good chance ur staying in the US

I picked DO bc carr is a scam n i got 1st dips for res programs

As an islander you get nothing

Ill also say theres a 90% chamce u wont get accepted to a DO program...so pick the island and enjoy the 3rd world its going to be an eye opener

Being a health professional is a very serious issue. If posting any information as a "fact" before checking the source of that information and without doing careful authentication, it can only demonstrate the person who post that information lacks the basic quality of becoming a health professional or any type of serious professional.

Did you get in bc you speak french??or the fact that you live in quebec?

If I had to wager, I'd say it was both. This guy is just full of hate - reading some of his past posts can be quite entertaining.

He's been spewing how he's "against DO", and that DO schools are not med schools all over the osteopathic forums lol..

Being a health professional is a very serious issue. If posting any information as a "fact" before checking the source of that information and without doing careful authentication, it can only demonstrate the person who post that information lacks the basic quality of becoming a health professional or any type of serious professional.

especially information from the massage, shiatsu, chiropractic page of a living-with-HIV site of all the sources on the internetz...

Nahh man i love the hate

Keep them comming..

Less competition for me....go to the island and try comming back with the rest of the 1200 canadians as IMG...yea 1200 a year!!!

i hear that if u do DO they flog your ass all day and pee on you

Dont do DO...its very very bad

Peoples motives

100 bucks says thst guy will apply to DO at some point noticing that tge islands are a joke

If I had to wager, I'd say it was both. This guy is just full of hate - reading some of his past posts can be quite entertaining.

He's been spewing how he's "against DO", and that DO schools are not med schools all over the osteopathic forums lol..

Ahaha..i dunno i come in here once a month lol...

I would also like to know is u even wrote the mcat for admission lol

And or did more than 2 yrs of uni

Canadian medical system= hick monoply

Ohh wait i got 1 more

Did you have to even take any science class or did you get in with a basket weaving major??
Ohh snap boy!

I got an acceptance from MSUCOM last month. Being a Canadian applicant, I am a little concerned about the 300k loan I will have to take. I also have questions regarding being able to work back in Canada.

Is their someone I could speak with to allay some of my concerns?
I tried calling the Canadian Osteopathic Association and got their voicemail. I have not received a reply from them yet.

:confused: Who said Ostepathic medical schools are not Medical schools? I know I certainly did not.

I got an acceptance from MSUCOM last month. Being a Canadian applicant, I am a little concerned about the 300k loan I will have to take. I also have questions regarding being able to work back in Canada.

I tried calling the Canadian Osteopathic Association and got their voicemail. I have not received a reply from them yet.

I am going to MSU and am not really concerned with the prospect of practicing in Canada. I think I emailed the COA and they provided me with some Canadian DO's contact information.

You could probably PM CANDO and he could help you out since he seems to be up to date with the progression of DO's in Canada.

I will message CANDO. I am excited and a little nervous for the upcoming year.

This is a recent Globe & Mail article on Canadians studying DO @ Michigan State.
http://www.theglobeandmail.com/life...-herald-rebirth-of-osteopathy/article2156594/

Certification for specialties is handled through the Royal College of Physicians and Surgeons of Canada. Long story short: if you did med school in Canada or the US, and successfully completed either an accredited Canadian residency program or an approved US Accreditation Council for Graduate Medical Education (ACGME) residency program, they'll probably let you write the certification examinations - see http://www.royalcollege.ca/public/credentials/routes
If you're into family medicine, you may be able to get around the Canadian certification exams if you did an ACGME residency and passed the US family med boards - see http://www.cfpc.ca/RecognizedTraining/

Licensure to practice medicine is controlled by the individual provinces, and varies a fair bit. Most require you to have your LMCCs and Royal College exams. Google "College of Physicians and Surgeons of [province I'm interested in]".

I'd ask the "can I come back and work in Canada" question of the College of Physicians and Surgeons of [province I'm interested working in]. After all, it's the College's that in charge.

Last edited: