DO for Canadians: 2012-2013

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
From what I understand, not very.

This is absolutely incorrect. Every year New England accepts Canadian applicants. I know this to be a fact and would encourage everyone to be absolutely sure when they make statements such as this.

Members don't see this ad.

My bad. Though I do know two Canadians are actually dual citizens, so they don't really count

From what I understand, not very.

well, that is not true. Just got accepted:)...And also, when I went there for interview, I saw a lot of Canadian candidates. Plus students there also said that the school was very canadian friendly...

Members don't see this ad :)
I just wanted to say that I'm a first year Canadian student at MSUCOM and for anyone who is discouraged about applying now because they think it's too late, I sent in my secondary application last year in January and was also accepted in January.

I just wanted to say that I'm a first year Canadian student at MSUCOM and for anyone who is discouraged about applying now because they think it's too late, I sent in my secondary application last year in January and was also accepted in January.
Thanks for the encouraging post. I was just complete last week and i had lost hope that the Canadian spots were full and that there would be no movement.

Thanks for the encouraging post. I was just complete last week and i had lost hope that the Canadian spots were full and that there would be no movement.

I hope you and my roommate get in this week! Both of you were complete last week.

I got in today and was complete on Oct 10th. I am so excited and this is my first acceptance. Good luck to the rest of you!

any news from msu today? my roommate was complete the same time as you and has 3.96/3.98 30P and did not hear anything.

No news for me. Those are sick stats though. Wish I had that gpa!

Sent from my Galaxy S2

With those stats why doesn't he apply to Canadian MD schools?

Members don't see this ad :)
Oh I wasn't aware that other schools had higher minimums, UBC's cut-off is a 7 on any section. Thanks for the clarification though Doc! With all these very strong Canadians applying, i'm starting to get worried I won't have much of a chance when I apply haha.

Oh I wasn't aware that other schools had higher minimums, UBC's cut-off is a 7 on any section. Thanks for the clarification though Doc! With all these very strong Canadians applying, i'm starting to get worried I won't have much of a chance when I apply haha.

+1 they make my 3.3 seem hella low

Sent from my Galaxy S2

Yeah of course!

Sent from my Galaxy S2

Has anyone here applied to WesternU-Panoma and received an interview? Is it too late to submit secondary now?

I was just complete last week. Still waiting to see if I get an interview. If I were u i would just go for it and submit.

Sent from my Galaxy S2

I just have a quick question about the deadline for responding to the offer of admission for MSU-COM. I got accepted this Wednesday, Oct 24th and I want to know what will be the deadline to respond to the offer because I need to schedule my other interviews at KCUMB, Marian and AZCOM accordingly?

Congrats!!!

I believe the deadline is first week of Dec. It is explained in your admission packet which you will received in the mail in 2 weeks.

Thanks Ravizzle! Yeah, I think I will do that. Gotta say, I don't miss writing :s

Congrats!!!

I believe the deadline is first week of Dec. It is explained in your admission packet which you will received in the mail in 2 weeks.

Thanks!
Not a plenty of time for me then. I will definitely not hear back from other schools by then. I will probably visit the campus next month some time. I would have just gone ahead with MSU, but its the very high fees that is making me think and look at other options. I have received an interview at KCUMB, Marian and AZCOM. These schools are definitely cheaper than MSU, but not sure about their quality of education compared to MSU. Can anyone comment on it? I don't want to attend all these interviews since I am broke at the moment.

How much is tuition at each of those schools? With the Canadian scholarship MSU will be ~50,000/year average across four years. Is this substantially higher compared to the other ones? Keep in mind that MSU is considered one of the best DO schools, if not the best. I'd imagine their Canadian initiative will make them extra Canadian friendly as well (what this really means tangibly I am not so sure). To an American student, it really doesn't matter where you go, so most choose the cheapest option.

How much is tuition at each of those schools? With the Canadian scholarship MSU will be ~50,000/year average across four years. Is this substantially higher compared to the other ones? Keep in mind that MSU is considered one of the best DO schools, if not the best. I'd imagine their Canadian initiative will make them extra Canadian friendly as well (what this really means tangibly I am not so sure). To an American student, it really doesn't matter where you go, so most choose the cheapest option.

Msu tuition is 60k for Canadians I believe. Other schools tend to be between 40 and 50 k tuition.

Sent from my Galaxy S2

Msu tuition is 60k for Canadians I believe. Other schools tend to be between 40 and 50 k tuition.

Sent from my Galaxy S2

Yeah, the other schools have their tuition between the range of 40-50k. Being Canadian friendly is another thing that is really attractive for me, but I am very uncertain about the potential future benefits that it may offer (help us come back home? a residency spot in Canada?) Not sure. If someone can shed some light on the potential advantages of the Canadian initiative, it will be great.

From my understanding, the Canadian initiative is simply that they are accepting a large amount of canadians. Maybe someone who's been accepted or attending can shed some light if there is actually any tangible benefits aside from matriculation

Congrats everyone! I haven't been on here in a while but am happy to see that more and more Canadians are learning about osteopathic medicine and are being accepted.

MSUCOM is pretty candian friendly, our deans main goal is to send us canadians back to Canada and spread the profession. I remember at our white coat ceremony he said "no Canadian is allowed to date an American" lol. So they will do what ever they can to help you go back, most likely you will have a easier time getting a residency through msucoms state wide campus system. msu is affiliated with 40% of all AOA residences (which will all become ACGME in 2015) so its pretty good.

NBC will give student LOC's to Canadians studying medicine in the US. The interest and principal do NOT have to be paided back while you are a full-time student or resident. That is awesome...

http://nbc.ca/bnc/cda/productfamily/0,2662,divId-2_langId-1_navCode-16843,00.html?stab=2

Do they require a co-signer? Both TD and RBC asked for a co-signer because going to a US school is considered going 'abroad'. Also, have people encountered difficulties with a D.O. acceptance letter because Canadian banks are less familiar with the D.O. degree?

With this, will there not be interest compounding on top of interest?

No. Interest begins occurring immediately after residency is complete, however you don't have to begin making payments until 6 months post-residency (or x months). I have a meeting next month with the bank, so i'll update you guys when I know more.

No. Interest begins occurring immediately after residency is complete, however you don't have to begin making payments until 6 months post-residency (or x months). I have a meeting next month with the bank, so i'll update you guys when I know more.

I hope you're right! Did someone tell you that interest doesn't accumulate until after residency? Because it doesn't say so on the website.

I hope you're right! Did someone tell you that interest doesn't accumulate until after residency? Because it doesn't say so on the website.

Hmm, I guess it was what I inferred from part of the email they sent me... "The interest rate will be based on your credit history and other factors, while the allotted amount will be also determined by your program and number of years completed. With our student line of credit, you don’t have to pay back any principal or interest while you’re a full-time student or resident. The repayment period can be as long as 15 years."

Hmm, I guess it was what I inferred from part of the email they sent me... "The interest rate will be based on your credit history and other factors, while the allotted amount will be also determined by your program and number of years completed. With our student line of credit, you don’t have to pay back any principal or interest while you’re a full-time student or resident. The repayment period can be as long as 15 years."
Yeah, I'm not sure how to take that. You don't have to pay any of the interest while you're in school, but the interest will continue to accumulate according to the amount of principal used or the interest won't start to accumulate until after you're finished school...

I pray for the second! If so, then its pretty much like extended OSAP!

Yeah, I'm not sure how to take that. You don't have to pay any of the interest while you're in school, but the interest will continue to accumulate according to the amount of principal used or the interest won't start to accumulate until after you're finished school...

I pray for the second! If so, then its pretty much like extended OSAP!

Yeah... imagine that! God, it's like going to school for free again! (except this time, not really...)

Not in a million years would a bank just give you money, and not charge you interest haha! Free money for ~8 years? People would abuse the **** out of that, and the bank would go under. No, I don't believe bank loans like that exist.

I too was quite taken when I first saw your post :p so I actually gave them a quick call to just clarify- I've never heard of "free money" like this, but if it's true I wanted in haha. Their loan isn't any different than any of the other medical student loans at Canadian banks.

All the loans I've seen (or inquired about so far were almost identical). Rate is prime, you need a co-signer because you are studying out of the country, repayment of principle doesn't start until after residency, you can lump sum pay without penalty, duration is 10-15 years, but you must, always, pay interest on the money you are borrowing. The only thing this national bank does, is pay your interest with more borrowed money... increasing the size of your loan. Nice in the short term, but in the end you're just accumulating more debt.

I too was looking at booking multiple appts with banks etc, but really their loan dept tells you just about everything you need to know over the phone (assuming you qualify for a loan of that magnitude in the first place).

I'm reading the website though again mayer, and it does certainly sound like free money... haha.

I'm giving them ANOTHER call, see what the rep says this time around. If you're right, I'm going tomorrow. But I have a feeling that it just can't be...
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/member.php?u=405479

Yeah, bad news guys. The interest still accumulates, you just don't have pay it during school. Nice find though.

Yeah, bad news guys. The interest still accumulates, you just don't have pay it during school. Nice find though.

I was so excited when I first thought interest accumulates similar to OSAP.

Last edited:
I am a Canadian and I did my undergrad in the U.S my stats are
overal gpa:3.41

science gpa:3.49

non science gpa:3.22

I have yet to apply and am writing the mcat in January 2013. Would I still have a chance if I did my application this year or should I just wait a year and apply for 2014.

Also what type of Mcat score would be considered safe with those stats.

I know...I know... The bank situation is a little depressing already.

We ought to take all our loans to the same bank and use that as leverage or something...

@NBD101, If your MCAT is in Jan 2013, that means your apps won't be release until Feb.. You'd have pretty much no chance applying that late. If people debate applying in October, i'd be hard-pressed to say you have any real chance applying at the very end of the cycle, especially after alot of schools have already stopped accepting applications.

I know...I know... The bank situation is a little depressing already.

We ought to take all our loans to the same bank and use that as leverage or something...
Hahaha three of us go in and ask the bank for 1 million dollars. I think we'll have their attention

lmao i'm down. Maybe we can make a deal with them. Interest at 1%? :D

Haha, I will casually bring it up next time I talk to one of these banks...

I'm mostly worried about the prime/ variable. Interest rates have NEVER been this low... 3% is great! ... but what happens in 2-3, or 5 years when it goes higher. Scary stuff. During the course of our repayment, it's not impossible for the rate to double... If they could lock the rate or something, then we're in business! haha:thumbup: