This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MT101166

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have been a mess and I admit that, but I recently changed my ways and I have been working my butt off. Graduated HS in 2010, went to CC for financial reasons, graduated in 2014 and honestly regret it as I feel it was a waste of time, just spent 4 years trying different things, started at a university in my hometown that fall and pretty much screwed around the first 2 years. I made average grades, failed a few, dropped some others, and my gpa is currently a 2.4. Terrible. This is my third year working toward my bachelor, and realistically it's going to take me two more. 5 years total. Even though my first two years were terrible and enough to murder my gpa I decided to stop playing around and really get to work because this is something I really want. I know I may be a little too late. I took 4 classes last semester and earned a's and b's, which is a pretty big improvement for me. This semester is already going really well so I am determined to keep this trend going for my next four semesters. I have really learned new study habits which are motivating me because they are working. Wish I would have done this since the beginning but can't turn back time. Because I will be graduating when I am like 27 I would really prefer to be able to go straight into med school and not waste anymore time. Realistically do I have a chance? Assuming I can get mainly a's and a minimal amount of b's but 0 c's and no more failing or dropping, how much can I increase my gpa and will it be enough to even consider applying? Is it even possible to bring my gpa up to at least a 3.0? Will they even look at me? I know other things factor in but gpa wise what do you think?

Members don't see this ad.

Bringing up your GPA to 3.0 and applying to DO schools and doing well on the MCAT will get you into medical school. Good luck.

Reactions: 3 users
Bringing up your GPA to 3.0 and applying to DO schools and doing well on the MCAT will get you into medical school. Good luck.
That whole apply to DO thing probably is irrelevant now. DO schools calculate your gap the same way MD schools do now.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
That whole apply to DO thing probably is irrelevant now. DO schools calculate your gap the same way MD schools do now.
Their average accepted GPA may still be slightly lower than MD. We'll have to wait and see.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Then why don't you tell OP that he has no chance and he should give up. Maybe you shouldn't, because DO schools will take kindly to the fact if he gets good grades in his upper division classes? DO schools are much more likely to forgive what happened long in the past and favor reinvention.

Reactions: 1 user
You can figure out whether or not it's possible to bring your GPA up to a 3.0 yourself. It's pretty straightforward. Compile all the credits you'll be taking until you graduate and calculate your GPA if you get all As from those credits or all Bs from those credits and that should give you a pretty good idea of what you're going to need to accomplish to achieve a 3.0. Now keep in mind, though, that a 3.0 is definitely a bare minimum even for a DO. You should really be shooting for more like a 3.4 or higher if you can.

You need to start aceing things until you finish your degree, and then maybe ace a post-bac or (DIY) or SMP.

Then ace MCAT as well.

That will show the you of now is not the you of then.

When I say aceing things, I mean 3.7+ from now on.

It's also a marathon now, not a sprint.

And learn how to use the paragraphs when you write, OK?

I have been a mess and I admit that, but I recently changed my ways and I have been working my butt off. Graduated HS in 2010, went to CC for financial reasons, graduated in 2014 and honestly regret it as I feel it was a waste of time, just spent 4 years trying different things, started at a university in my hometown that fall and pretty much screwed around the first 2 years. I made average grades, failed a few, dropped some others, and my gpa is currently a 2.4. Terrible. This is my third year working toward my bachelor, and realistically it's going to take me two more. 5 years total. Even though my first two years were terrible and enough to murder my gpa I decided to stop playing around and really get to work because this is something I really want. I know I may be a little too late. I took 4 classes last semester and earned a's and b's, which is a pretty big improvement for me. This semester is already going really well so I am determined to keep this trend going for my next four semesters. I have really learned new study habits which are motivating me because they are working. Wish I would have done this since the beginning but can't turn back time. Because I will be graduating when I am like 27 I would really prefer to be able to go straight into med school and not waste anymore time. Realistically do I have a chance? Assuming I can get mainly a's and a minimal amount of b's but 0 c's and no more failing or dropping, how much can I increase my gpa and will it be enough to even consider applying? Is it even possible to bring my gpa up to at least a 3.0? Will they even look at me? I know other things factor in but gpa wise what do you think?

Then why don't you tell OP that he has no chance and he should give up. Maybe you shouldn't, because DO schools will take kindly to the fact if he gets good grades in his upper division classes? DO schools are much more likely to forgive what happened long in the past and favor reinvention.
Wutz?

If you cannot get a 3.8 from this moment on, then yes, you cannot get into medical school.

There's online calculators that will calculate how many units you need with average GPA to bring your GPA up to a certain number. A quick google search should point you in the right way!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Their average accepted GPA may still be slightly lower than MD. We'll have to wait and see.

But it won't be 3.0 . So saying get your GPA tom3.0 and you'll be fine is bad information.

OP is your total GPA (for all college classes taken including CC) 2.4?

Sent from my iPad using SDN mobile app

I don't know how many credits are involved in total. Use this. Put your current cumulative GPA over all college courses taken (CC and University), and the total credit hours, and on the bottom, "I would like to raise my cumulative GPA to", see what the possibilities are.

http://www.back2college.com/raisegpa.htm

But it won't be 3.0 . So saying get your GPA tom3.0 and you'll be fine is bad information.

OP is your total GPA (for all college classes taken including CC) 2.4?

Sent from my iPad using SDN mobile app

Thanks all. And no. The 2.4 is just counting credits towards by bachelor. Do med schools look at every single grade? Are community college grades also calculated into their GPA calculation?

Also I have 12 high school ap credits. Do those count when they calculate your undergraduate credit count?

Even with a 3.0 GPA, it is going to be difficult to get into a DO school. A 3.0 GPA with an average MCAT will lessen your chances, so a good MCAT score will help. Don't assume based on some people's feedback on here that doing well from now on and getting to a 3.0 GPA is enough to get you in.