Do I even have a chance?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Baryjt01

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Ok so heres the story. I just figured up my GPA and it was lower than what i had been expecting... Freshmen year and Ochem really hurt me. However other than those two my grades have been phenomenal. This last year I maintained a 4.0 overall and science. However overall my gpa sits at a 2.92 sgpa and a 3.21 ogpa. I scored a 22 on the DAT and did well on the sciences 21+ on each. I have been around the dental field my entire life thousands of work and shadowing hours hundreds of volunteering hours and highly involved on campus and have dedicated plenty of time to charity..... What are my chances?.... Should i even apply or would it be a waste of time and money?

Members don't see this ad.

Your 22 DAT will be your ticket into dental school. Make sure the rest of your application shines as much as possible, apply to the right schools, and you should find yourself in dental school next year.

also check if the schools you are interested in have a minimum GPA.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Your 22 DAT will be your ticket into dental school. Make sure the rest of your application shines as much as possible, apply to the right schools, and you should find yourself in dental school next year.

what would be the best dental schools to apply to then? i am a resident of Indiana so obviously IU. Also i am part native american so i will have that in my pocket. But what schools do you think i should apply to?

what would be the best dental schools to apply to then? i am a resident of Indiana so obviously IU. Also i am part native american so i will have that in my pocket. But what schools do you think i should apply to?
I'd look into state schools near Indiana that are friendly to residents of your state and then go out to as many private schools as you can afford that have statistics that fit your particualr details. Getting the book published by ADEA will give you all the numbers you need in order to apply to the schools that best fit your profile.
In terms of numbers I'd suggest about 15 or so schools as long as you aren't making bad picks (ie schools that accept small out of state numbers).

I'd look into state schools near Indiana that are friendly to residents of your state and then go out to as many private schools as you can afford that have statistics that fit your particualr details. Getting the book published by ADEA will give you all the numbers you need in order to apply to the schools that best fit your profile.
In terms of numbers I'd suggest about 15 or so schools as long as you aren't making bad picks (ie schools that accept small out of state numbers).

I have the ADEA book and was looking at 14 different schools most of which are private with the exception of IU and Louisville. Any schools in particular off the top of your head that you would recommend for sure applying to?

Roseman, Louisville, LECOM, Midwestern-AZ/IL, Creighton, NOVA, Marquette, VCU, Case Western

There are more that I'm sure you could find that would be a good fit for you. This list is what I found fit me the best but should be pretty close to what you would be looking for as well.

Roseman, Louisville, LECOM, Midwestern-AZ/IL, Creighton, NOVA, Marquette, VCU, Case Western

There are more that I'm sure you could find that would be a good fit for you. This list is what I found fit me the best but should be pretty close to what you would be looking for as well.

Thank you very much. Just very down on myself and don't think I will be admitted. Also does anyone happen to know what % Native American you have to be to mark that on the app and how/do you have to prove it?

A chance exists. Apply wisely and research each school to ensure you maximize your chances of admittance.

Last edited:
This is 2 years old. Should close this thread for now
I figured it would still be relevant depending on if OP is still trying to get in or if other people are stumbling across this thread.

The thread I shared is one I created 2 years ago as well but I'm just now finally getting interviews.

I figured it would still be relevant depending on if OP is still trying to get in or if other people are stumbling across this thread.

The thread I shared is one I created 2 years ago as well but I'm just now finally getting interviews.
Fair enough, but this man (OP) is already in dental school probably stressing about exams lol

Reactions: 1 user
Status
Not open for further replies.