Do I even have a chance?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

WHLTN

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone!

I just want to give some background first:

I'm a black male that graduated from undergrad about 2 years ago, and I started as a premed student. I was the typical naive premed Freshman that was in school for a Biology degree. I took Organic Chem. a total of 5 times(OChem l- 3 times (C), OChem(W)), I also made an F in Genetics both times I took it, an F in Micro., a C in Phys. l, and I didn't take Phys. ll or BioChem.

I was working a job that paid a lot of money while in school, and my focus became about working and making money versus my grades. In an effort to make more money, I switched majors ,so I would have more time to make money, and so that I would graduate on time. I was also struggling with my sexuality all throughout college. and it caused me to go into a depression that counseling did not seem to help.

Looking back on the time I wasted and the bad decisions I made, I have realized that I should have invested more in my studies than that job. I also relaized that I would like to persue Med School again now that I have been out of the "college bubble".

I would like an honest opinion on whether I should even give Med School another chance or not. If you do think I have a chance, please suggest what I could do.

Please don't hold back. I can handle the criticism and honesty. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

So what are your GPAs(sGPA & cGPA)? How are your ECs? Have you started or are you working on your ECs.
Honestly, I don't know what my science GPA is. My overall was a 3.24. I was VP for a service club in college, so we had a lot of volunteering that we did. Besides that, I just worked, sometimes 100 hours a week.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey everyone!

I just want to give some background first:

I'm a black male that graduated from undergrad about 2 years ago, and I started as a premed student. I was the typical naive premed Freshman that was in school for a Biology degree. I took Organic Chem. a total of 5 times(OChem l- 3 times (C), OChem(W)), I also made an F in Genetics both times I took it, an F in Micro., a C in Phys. l, and I didn't take Phys. ll or BioChem.

I was working a job that paid a lot of money while in school, and my focus became about working and making money versus my grades. In an effort to make more money, I switched majors ,so I would have more time to make money, and so that I would graduate on time. I was also struggling with my sexuality all throughout college. and it caused me to go into a depression that counseling did not seem to help.

Looking back on the time I wasted and the bad decisions I made, I have realized that I should have invested more in my studies than that job. I also relaized that I would like to persue Med School again now that I have been out of the "college bubble".

I would like an honest opinion on whether I should even give Med School another chance or not. If you do think I have a chance, please suggest what I could do.

Please don't hold back. I can handle the criticism and honesty. Thanks!
Many med schools believe in reinvention.
Read this:

But get your mental health taken care of first.

Reactions: 4 users
Honestly, I don't know what my science GPA is. My overall was a 3.24. I was VP for a service club in college, so we had a lot of volunteering that we did. Besides that, I just worked, sometimes 100 hours a week.

Well you are going to have to figure it out.
You are also going to have to get clinical experience(paid or volunteer-200hours), shadowing (50 hours)and 200 hours of nonclinical volunteering to the unserved/underserved in your community. I’d start with the shadowing to make sure you know what a doctor does and what you are getting yourself into. Branch into clinical experiences to determine if you want to spend the next 35+ years dealing with the sick, injured and dying! Follow @Goro ‘s advice and see what happens. You have a long road but if you want it badly enough start working. Good luck!

Reactions: 3 users
Well you are going to have to figure it out.
You are also going to have to get clinical experience(paid or volunteer-200hours), shadowing (50 hours)and 200 hours of nonclinical volunteering to the unserved/underserved in your community. I’d start with the shadowing to make sure you know what a doctor does and what you are getting yourself into. Branch into clinical experiences to determine if you want to spend the next 35+ years dealing with the sick, injured and dying! Follow @Goro ‘s advice and see what happens. You have a long road but if you want it badly enough start working. Good luck!
Thank you for the advice!

Reactions: 1 user
I think your situation is almost impossible, unless you REALLY REALLY want to pursue this because re-innovate with those scores are not easy at all

• Inappropriate
  • Dislike
Reactions: 6 users
I think your situation is almost impossible, unless you REALLY REALLY want to pursue this because re-innovate with those scores are not easy at all
I disagree, its not impossible. It will be a lot of work and it will be expensive, but I don't think anyone's ever really out of the game unless they've tried multiple post-bacc's and consistently done poorly or they've done something illegal or very publicly unethical.

OP, go through your transcript and count up your science GPA, basically counting any classes that were biology, math, chemistry, or physics. If that's below 3.0 (I'm assuming it is), determine how many credits at a 4.0 you need to complete to get that overall sGPA above 3.0. Take those classes at a local 4-year college. Once you're above 3.0 (assuming it takes you ~30 credits at least) you're cooking with gas. Follow Goro's guide, get volunteering (clinical/non-clinical), get shadowing, accumulate potential letters of recommendation, kill the MCAT, live a healthy and fulfilling life, etc, and you can reinvent. Depending on where your GPA lands, your MCAT, and your state of residence, you may be able to shoot your shot at some MD, but you should plan to look at DO primarily.

However, it will be expensive, I'm doing it myself and I'm lucky enough to have a decently high-paying job to support myself through night classes, but it definitely sucks every time I dropped a grand to sign up for a class (and that's fairly cheap!). So you have to be prepared for the long haul, GPA repair is no joke and second chances don't keep renewing, so you have to make sure this is the right path for you before you throw money and time at this problem. But your ship is not yet sunk.

Reactions: 1 users
You definitely have a chance for reinvention like @Goro pointed out. Get grades and ECs sorted out over next few years, then take an MCAT when you're ready. If the work was that intense, it could make for a good story (assuming it was something you'd like to share). Your cGPA so far isn't too bad at all.

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Love
Reactions: 5 users
I disagree, its not impossible. It will be a lot of work and it will be expensive, but I don't think anyone's ever really out of the game unless they've tried multiple post-bacc's and consistently done poorly or they've done something illegal or very publicly unethical.

OP, go through your transcript and count up your science GPA, basically counting any classes that were biology, math, chemistry, or physics. If that's below 3.0 (I'm assuming it is), determine how many credits at a 4.0 you need to complete to get that overall sGPA above 3.0. Take those classes at a local 4-year college. Once you're above 3.0 (assuming it takes you ~30 credits at least) you're cooking with gas. Follow Goro's guide, get volunteering (clinical/non-clinical), get shadowing, accumulate potential letters of recommendation, kill the MCAT, live a healthy and fulfilling life, etc, and you can reinvent. Depending on where your GPA lands, your MCAT, and your state of residence, you may be able to shoot your shot at some MD, but you should plan to look at DO primarily.

However, it will be expensive, I'm doing it myself and I'm lucky enough to have a decently high-paying job to support myself through night classes, but it definitely sucks every time I dropped a grand to sign up for a class (and that's fairly cheap!). So you have to be prepared for the long haul, GPA repair is no joke and second chances don't keep renewing, so you have to make sure this is the right path for you before you throw money and time at this problem. But your ship is not yet sunk.

Good advice. When you are figuring your sGPA count every science and math class you have ever taken at a college/university/community college/dual enrollment etc.. Even the classes you failed or took multiple times. Every grade counts in your AMCAS sGPA(even if your college dropped them or repacked them). Ws don’t count! Let us know what you come up with!

That's why I said "almost" but not "absolutely" impossible people. With a lot of C and F multiple times in the same course, it's not about changing grade anymore but because you have a weak foundation, or maybe science is just not your thing. But for sure that is not always the case, there are many people successful in reinventing their application, but because they are desperate to become a doctor and willing to sacrifice many other things (that's why I said only if you really want it).

Ignore this freshman who thinks he's the greatest thing since sliced bread. You definitely have a chance for reinvention like @Goro pointed out. Get grades and ECs sorted out over next few years, then take an MCAT when you're ready. If the work was that intense, it could make for a good story (assuming it was something you'd like to share). Your cGPA so far isn't too bad at all.

I don't understand why you keep picking on me, I think you are the person acting like a child now. Did I say anything wrong in my comment? The OP said "I would like to hear honest opinion", so that is my honest opinion, and I don't like sugar code

Last edited:
That's why I said "almost" but not "absolutely" impossible people. With a lot of C and F multiple times in the same course, it's not about changing grade anymore but because you have a weak foundation, or maybe science is just not your thing. But for sure that is not always the case, there are many people successful in reinventing their application, but because they are desperate to become a doctor and willing to sacrifice many other things (that's why I said only if you really want it).

I don't understand why you keep picking on me, I think you are the person acting like a child now. Did I say anything wrong in my comment? The OP said "I would like to hear honest opinion", so that is my honest opinion, and I don't like sugar code

Sorry I picked on you, but it seems like anytime I run into you on a thread you're being a jerk. Your post offered no advice and was honestly pointless to add. SDN is the place to be honest but at least make an effort to outline some ways to reach their goals.

• Love
Yes its possible and @Goro will show you how its possible. Read his guide to re invention. I've seem many students with rocky starts turn things around. How you perform with med school pre reqs and the MCAT will be the most important since you already have an extensive backround as a firefighter/paramedic. One thing i will mention is to keep an open mind if you go to medical school as you might have to change old habits. Paramedics and other mid levels practice protocols. Physicians are thinking scientists applying science based principles to their patients. Some paramedics i have had were harder to teach due to their backgrounds. One actually tried to tell me i wasn't holding the laryngoscope correctly. Good luck and best wishes!

• Love
Reactions: 2 users
If this is really what you want than I just hope my story encourages you to go for it. Just make sure you take it 100% serious or it will be a waste of time and money.

I failed 5 courses (all sciences) with some Ds and Cs as well during my first few years of undergrad. Also switched majors to psych from bio, partially because I enjoy psych but partially to graduate earlier. My cGPA was worse than yours and my sGPA was horrid. Did end up with a 3.9 GPA for like 50ish credits leading into graduation. After graduation I stayed at my school for a DIY post-bacc. It took about 2.5 years after to get all of my pre-reqs and raise my GPA sufficiently. Received just shy of a 3.9 on another 65ish credits and I scored well (but not amazing) on my MCAT. No IIs on first app cycle. 4 IIs and got into both MD schools that I took interviews at during my second app cycle.

It can be done, but you have to really want it and not slip up. Use your story if you can when applying. Make sure you know why you struggled and take responsibility for your mistakes.

I recommend not taking on too much when starting. You don't want so much on your plate that you cant pull off an A/A-. Learn how you learn best during the early portions and then take on more.

Any questions, feel free to message me.

OP, it is possible. College can be a rough time for a variety of reasons, some of which you experienced. Getting your mental health in order is the first priority. The pressure will be on when you start taking classes. You don’t have to ace every class but you need a strong performance. Focus on improvement and enlist your professors and TAs as allies. But you have to know that this is going to take time, money, effort, and sacrifices that your peers in your age group won’t be making, not just during your postbac but also medical school and residency.

Very best of luck to you.