This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Heroes23

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone.

I'm creating this post due to my concerns of getting accepted to an Allopathic, (M.D), Medical School.

I writing this because I want honest opinions from students and physicians to see if I still have a shot.

In my first two years of Undergrad, I did very well in my MD pre-requite classes. I got an A in General Chemistry 1, a B in General Chemistry 2, A in General Biology 1, B in General Biology 2, A in Physics 1, B in Physics 2, and topped my Organic Chemistry classes 1 and 2 with high A's. I did well in my other classes as well and my lab grades were a mix of A's and B's. Throughout my years, I was shadowing doctors and helping the needy. I especially helped one family whose mother had cancer and had two kids who were in elementary school. I took care of them time to time and helped them out. I took them to movies and made them feel like family. At the end of my second year, (GPA at a 3.7), that mother died of cancer. Those two kids were motherless and ended up going back to Asia. They told me how I didn't spend enough time with him and all I did was study school. This made me very upset at myself because I felt a bit selfish on only caring for myself. This feeling of sadness lingered on during my first semester of my third year. My blood sugar raised, I gained a lot of weight and my grades went down. I got all B's in my science courses and brought my GPA down to a 3.6. I was upset at myself for doing poorly but sad because I felt that sadness of losing someone. I took my winter break to get back to eating healthy and my blood sugar went back to normal. I set my mind to start fresh this spring semester and wanted to do better, especially because I was studying for my MCAT. However, a few weeks into my classes, while I was putting the past behind me, I lost another person to cancer. I was again upset because I lost two people to cancer in less than a year. I decided to take my MCAT and scored decent, (512: 130 Chem/Phys; 129 CARS; 128 Bio/Biochem; 128 Psych/Socio ), but I knew I could've done better. On top of that, I was getting teased a lot at my University from other pre-meds because of me being shy and not talking to anyone, (FYI; my EC's are listed as followed: 1000 hours of shadowing primary care physician and orthopedic surgeon clinical and surgical hours, 3 semesters of Chemical Research with 2 poster presentations at committees, 1+ year(s) Organic Chemistry tutoring, 3+ years of Brazilian Jiu Jitsu with competition wins, and just got employed CNA at a nursing home for 2 months and I am currently looking for another job in the ER), due to my crazy schedule, I didn't have much time to socialize with many people except for my doctors that I shadowed, my sports and research team, and the CNA's, LPN's, and RN's at work. This hurt me very much and disturbed me inside even to this day. I ended up with a C in my 300 level Cell Biology class and was heartbroken. I quickly transferred to another University to complete my degree in Biology, but I have to wait another year to graduate. During this semester, I was still feeling sad about people at my old school and was also intimidated by going to a new school with teachers I didn't know and living in the city all by myself. I also ran into financial problems because this new school is much more expensive and I developed pneumonia from one patient at the nursing home I worked at, (which is why I am looking for a job at the ER so it doesn't affect my studies) which caused me to W from my Russian foreign language class and currently getting a C+ in my 300 level Molecular Genetics class, ( I have a high A in my other classes). My GPA is a 3.5 cumulative, 3.4 science.

I know this is a lot to read but I really wanted sincere and serious advice if I still have a shot at medical school? I will definitely make it my mission to do better next semester and get that 4.0!!! I want to raise my cGPA to a 3.57 and my sGPA to a 3.43! I am willing to retake the MCAT and hope to score higher than a 512. Please comment serious and honest remarks.

Thank You.

Members don't see this ad.

TLDR = 3.5c/3.4s/balanced 512 MCAT with lots of clinical exposure and some research.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Reactions: 1 users
Your MCAT is fine! Don't retake!! I have a slightly lower MCAT but a high GPA and I'm sitting on 5 interviews. If your GPA is a 3.5 I think you have a great shot at a lot of schools if you pick the right list. Just get over your shyness !!! Being able to communicate is important for the interviews. Show an upward trend for this last year.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
I had slightly below average stats. You can do it if you're mature and prepared with the right attitude. It's a fight depending on where you apply but don't give up.

Am I missing something? Your subsection scores add up to a 515...don't they?? Either way a great score!
If you have any trouble with your application, your MCAT score is not what will be holding you back... I think with those gpas you'll definitely have a good chance at some schools!
I decided to take my MCAT and scored decent, (512: 130 Chem/Phys; 129 CARS; 128 Bio/Biochem; 128 Psych/Socio )

Your mcat adds up to 515

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Reactions: 1 users
I'll be happy to give advice, but can you ask some questions without the Stephen King length novella?

Hello everyone.

I'm creating this post due to my concerns of getting accepted to an Allopathic, (M.D), Medical School.

I writing this because I want honest opinions from students and physicians to see if I still have a shot.

In my first two years of Undergrad, I did very well in my MD pre-requite classes. I got an A in General Chemistry 1, a B in General Chemistry 2, A in General Biology 1, B in General Biology 2, A in Physics 1, B in Physics 2, and topped my Organic Chemistry classes 1 and 2 with high A's. I did well in my other classes as well and my lab grades were a mix of A's and B's. Throughout my years, I was shadowing doctors and helping the needy. I especially helped one family whose mother had cancer and had two kids who were in elementary school. I took care of them time to time and helped them out. I took them to movies and made them feel like family. At the end of my second year, (GPA at a 3.7), that mother died of cancer. Those two kids were motherless and ended up going back to Asia. They told me how I didn't spend enough time with him and all I did was study school. This made me very upset at myself because I felt a bit selfish on only caring for myself. This feeling of sadness lingered on during my first semester of my third year. My blood sugar raised, I gained a lot of weight and my grades went down. I got all B's in my science courses and brought my GPA down to a 3.6. I was upset at myself for doing poorly but sad because I felt that sadness of losing someone. I took my winter break to get back to eating healthy and my blood sugar went back to normal. I set my mind to start fresh this spring semester and wanted to do better, especially because I was studying for my MCAT. However, a few weeks into my classes, while I was putting the past behind me, I lost another person to cancer. I was again upset because I lost two people to cancer in less than a year. I decided to take my MCAT and scored decent, (512: 130 Chem/Phys; 129 CARS; 128 Bio/Biochem; 128 Psych/Socio ), but I knew I could've done better. On top of that, I was getting teased a lot at my University from other pre-meds because of me being shy and not talking to anyone, (FYI; my EC's are listed as followed: 1000 hours of shadowing primary care physician and orthopedic surgeon clinical and surgical hours, 3 semesters of Chemical Research with 2 poster presentations at committees, 1+ year(s) Organic Chemistry tutoring, 3+ years of Brazilian Jiu Jitsu with competition wins, and just got employed CNA at a nursing home for 2 months and I am currently looking for another job in the ER), due to my crazy schedule, I didn't have much time to socialize with many people except for my doctors that I shadowed, my sports and research team, and the CNA's, LPN's, and RN's at work. This hurt me very much and disturbed me inside even to this day. I ended up with a C in my 300 level Cell Biology class and was heartbroken. I quickly transferred to another University to complete my degree in Biology, but I have to wait another year to graduate. During this semester, I was still feeling sad about people at my old school and was also intimidated by going to a new school with teachers I didn't know and living in the city all by myself. I also ran into financial problems because this new school is much more expensive and I developed pneumonia from one patient at the nursing home I worked at, (which is why I am looking for a job at the ER so it doesn't affect my studies) which caused me to W from my Russian foreign language class and currently getting a C+ in my 300 level Molecular Genetics class, ( I have a high A in my other classes). My GPA is a 3.5 cumulative, 3.4 science.

I know this is a lot to read but I really wanted sincere and serious advice if I still have a shot at medical school? I will definitely make it my mission to do better next semester and get that 4.0!!! I want to raise my cGPA to a 3.57 and my sGPA to a 3.43! I am willing to retake the MCAT and hope to score higher than a 512. Please comment serious and honest remarks.

Thank You.

Reactions: 4 users
Thank you all for the kind words! It really means a lot for me!

I am also Asian amd 21 years old so I don't know if that will hinder my chamces.

130/128/127/127 = 512. That was a typo from me, I have a 512, not a 515. Sorry!

Hello all,

I have a MCAT of 501 and a UGPA of 4. I also have a PhD. Are there specific allopathic schools that someone can recommend for my stats?

Thanks in advance,
aero aero

Hello all,

I have a MCAT of 501 and a UGPA of 4. I also have a PhD. Are there specific allopathic schools that someone can recommend for my stats?

Thanks in advance,
aero aero

Start your own thread!

Sent from my iPad using SDN mobile app

Reactions: 1 user
I'll be happy to give advice, but can you ask some questions without the Stephen King length novella?

So, I made a list of schools that I was interested in that I feel I can get in. I am an Asian male, 21 years old, IL resident. What do you think of this list of schools?

Loyola
UIC
Rush
SIU
Rosalind Franklin
Albany
Albert Einstein
Hofstra
Drexel
Tufts
Miami
St. Louis
U of Kentucky
U of Lousiville
Wisconsin
Alabama

These are doable for you:

So, I made a list of schools that I was interested in that I feel I can get in. I am an Asian male, 21 years old, IL resident. What do you think of this list of schools?

Loyola
UIC
Rush
SIU (ONLY if you live in southern IL)
Rosalind Franklin
Albany
Albert Einstein
Hofstra
Drexel
Tufts
Miami
St. Louis

ADD: MCW, CCOM, MUCOM, DMU, Creighto, Rochester, Temple, Jefferson, GWU, Gtown, Wake, NYMC