Quantcast

Do I have a chance?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

preopt2019

2+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.
My cumulative GPA right now is around a 3.1. Science GPA is a 2.8 but this is with my university calculations. Does optomcas calculate our grades from if we retook a class? I got a D then got a B when I retook it (for example). Would they calculate both the D and B?
I have volunteered at a hospital and have about 50 shadowing hours so far but will continue to shadow or find a job.
With my stats, how high should I aim to score for OAT?

Reactions: 1 users

Missc9opt

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Yes I’d also like feedback because I’m in the same situation. My cumulative GPA is a 3.2 with a science GPA of 2.9 because I also got a D in a class and later retook it). I’m trying to shadow more often while working, taking a full course load, and studying to take the OAT in December. All answers are greatly appreciated.

Last edited:

eyesuphere

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I would definitely get more optometry experience like shadowing. I would aim for around a 350 on the OAT. I would definitely apply early because you have a higher chance of getting in.

Reactions: 1 user

preopt2019

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
What would be the latest month to apply to still be considered early?

eyesuphere

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I applied pretty early know my stats weren’t the greatest, which was around September. I would say before November would be good. The earlier the better.

preopt2019

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
I applied pretty early know my stats weren’t the greatest, which was around September. I would say before November would be good. The earlier the better.
thanks.. what were your stats and what schools did you apply to and got accepted into?

eyesuphere

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
So my cumulative gpa was 3.6 and science was around 3.2. My OAT was 310. I got an interview for all the schools I applied to but I only went to ICO and SCCO’s interview. I was accepted into both schools and I’m going to SCCo in the fall.