This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dr.HarleyQuinn

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I think I am in need of some guidance; I have been very worried lately (probably over-worried). I want to know if you guys think that I have a chance at getting in to dental schools this coming application cycle. I am currently studying for my DAT that I am planning to take in the next couple of months. I didn't do as well as I should have in undergrad due to personal problems. I graduated from a UC with 2.9 GPA ( went to community college for the first two years and transferred with a 3.2) I have various extracurriculars; I did research in undergrad for about a year, tutored, etc. As for my dental experience, I have been working as a dental assistant for the past 6 months (going to leave soon to focus more on studying) and I am planning on doing more shadowing. I just really fell in love with dentistry through my experience in the profession and now really want to get in in Fall 2018 class. Do you guys think I have a shot, without doing a Master/PostBacc? I am aiming for the highest in the DAT (hoping at least 24). Thank you in advance to all your considerate advice; I really appreciate it!

Members don't see this ad.

So if I read correctly, you transferred from CC with a 3.2 and now have a 2.9 at the University. That's not good. A lot of schools have a 3.0 cutoff. Some don't. Either case, the grade decline going from CC to Uni isn't going to bode well for you.

What if you get a 24AA? It's anyone's guess. There's plenty of high DAT with higher GPAs applying. For a solid shot, you should aim to raise your GPA. Consider a few postbacc courses or a Masters.

Reactions: 1 user
You should be kind of worried, you're not applying for pharmacy school here. You're going to need to boost that GPA with a master's. A downward trend going from CC to uni is not ideal. A 3.2 in a CC to begin with is questionable. Dental school is rigorous.

Honestly, I wouldn't even apply this upcoming cycle, I would go straight into a master's (finances permitting). It's going to be a lot of work, but if you really want it you can get there. You're definitely going to have to work on your study habits.

Edit: I realize I was being kind of harsh. If you can get a 24+ then your odds may change (though, you still probably won't expect many interviews). Realize that a 24 AA is 99+ percentile.

Last edited:
Reactions: 5 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Even if you live and breathe the DAT for several months, getting "at least" a 24 is a very, very tall task. That's an elite score, but even then it doesn't guarantee anything with a low GPA.

I agree with Rekker and would personally go straight for the 1-year masters program. A small delay for a large resume boost. Shows your commitment and that you can handle upper level science courses.

Success on the DAT is built off your performance in undergrad courses. A 24AA is doable, but it'll be a tall order in your case. Check the breakdown threads in the DAT forums for materials, study schedules, and tips.

TL ; DR
Step 1: Get a 23+ AA on DAT
Step 1.5: Do a masters or postbacc to boost gpa if you fail step 1.
Step 2: Apply broadly especially private/expensive dental schools.
Step 3: Interview
Step 4: Have patience
Step 5: Mom's spaghetti because you only have one shot.
Step 6: You're a dental student.

Reactions: 5 users
TL ; DR
Step 1: Get a 23+ AA on DAT
Step 1.5: Do a masters or postbacc to boost gpa if you fail step 1.
Step 2: Apply broadly especially private/expensive dental schools.
Step 3: Interview
Step 4: Have patience
Step 5: Mom's spaghetti because you only have one shot.
Step 6: You're a dental student.

IMG_8067.PNG

Reactions: 6 users
Thanks guys for all your advice! Yeah, I know... I didn't do as well as I should have at all in UCI. I went to UCI, and honestly, I think worrying and anxiety affected my performance a lot when I was in undergrad; it just impacted my motivation. I ain't gonna let that happen anymore! I am just going to study as hard as I can for the DAT and based on my score, I'll see wether I should apply to Dental Schools right away or not, just like you said Doc Yankem haha. I'm just trying to aim high, you know? Cause opportunity comes once in a lifetime !

Oh, and I also am looking at masters programs :).

Don't have to look into much masters/post baccs if you can get a 23++. Just have to apply to expensive schools and some lower rated accepting schools.