Medical Do I need to update schools post acceptance about opportunity that fell through?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GoSpursGo

SDN Chief Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I need some advice. It is a bit of a long story, but thank you in advance.

At the beginning of the cycle, I ran into a clinical research coordinator position. The principal investigator was very excited to hire me and have me on board their team as a clinical research coordinator. However, due to COVID that particular school system instituted a hiring freeze. I was told by the principal investigator that we would apply to obtain an exemption, and she was confident in her ability to obtain the exemption. Essentially, it seemed like a sure deal. I went ahead and *naively* included this future experience as a clinical research coordinator on AMCAS for 1000 projected hours. Over the next 6 months, I was in constant contact and reassured that the exemption would be processed soon. Every two weeks they told me it wouldn't take much longer. I stuck with it because it was a dream opportunity, and I thought it would greatly benefit me in my future. After 6 months, the exemption was obtained. I underwent two formal interviews for this job position. After the two formal hiring interviews, I had an interview for the medical school which I was later accepted in. I was always transparent. I told the medical school interviewer I had just had the job interviews, and I expected to be hired soon and begin work. I also told them that I had been working as a radiology technologist assistant while I waited for the position since it was taking way too long to obtain the exemption. A few days after my medical school interview, I was told by the principal investigator that she believed I would be matriculating into a medical school in the fall, and since I could no longer work long-term, she would have to offer the position to someone else who could work for more than 6 months. So, after waiting for 6 months to get an exemption for the position, it fell through because they felt I could no longer work for a long enough time before heading off to medical school. A month later, I was accepted to the medical school which I previously mentioned.

My question is: Should I send an update letter to the medical school post acceptance detailing how the research position fell through. I'm afraid of getting my offer rescinded. My initial impulse is to update them on the situation, detailing how the opportunity fell through and provide a brief description of my work in the meantime as a radiology technologist assistant. I have email and text records of some conversations and can provide them as evidence if they request it. If I choose to not update them, then I’m afraid they might find the lack of transparency more serious while doing due diligence and checking all my activities.

Similarly, I have had other interviews for schools which might accept me. However, the topic of this particular future activity never came up so I could not update them. Should I update them for the sake of transparency? I feel like a 1000 hour future research activity that fell through might be a little more significant than the problems other pre-meds have had where they simply have not completed as many hours as they said they would.
Nope. You provided this information in good faith. Plans change, especially in a pandemic. Only update if they request an update.

Members don't see this ad.

Status
Not open for further replies.