Do I put White ?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

NewDent02

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
EYE plan on applying this coming June and EYE am Palestinian. Born in the U.S. but both my parents are Palestinian. On the application is there an option for middle eastern? Should EYE put “other?” Or do click white ?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
EYE plan on applying this coming June and EYE am Palestinian. Born in the U.S. but both my parents are Palestinian. On the application is there an option for middle eastern? Should EYE put “other?” Or do click white ?

Why do you keep saying EYE instead of I?

Reactions: 16 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Are you sure it’s not a keyboard shortcut in your settings?

Reactions: 1 users
Honestly, put what you look like. So if you look more like a persion arab, put white. If you are really dark skinned, then maybe asian or african. This is the case only for the fact that admin rolls their eyes are white people putting African as their race even if they are from South Africa.

Personally, I dont understand why race is ever an issue but its more looks than heritage so you dont get eye rolls.

Middle Easterns are considered White. I'm Jordanian and had to pick White. Sucks that we don't get to count as a minority for admission.

I’d write about being Palestinian in your personal statement since you’re kind of forced to pick white.

Reactions: 2 users
You're considered Caucasian.... aka white. Your appearance doesn't matter

I'm Syrian and chose white. I'm in the same situation as you, both parents immigrants, and I was born in the US.

Middle Easterns are considered White. I'm Jordanian and had to pick White. Sucks that we don't get to count as a minority for admission.

You are not a minority in healthcare. This doesn’t negate diversity you can bring to the school.

Definitely put middle eastern. Especially if there is a white AND a middle eastern option. I would like to see someone call you out on it.

I have a friend who is the whitest guy you will ever meet but looks Indian. His mom immigrated from India and his dad is white. You are damn sure he didn't put white.
I have another friend applying this cycle who immigrated from Iran at age seven. He definitely did not put white.

I don't understand why you guys are putting white. Iranians and Indians are not white, but Jordanians and Palestinians are? I am so confused.

Avoid putting white at all costs, LOL

Members don't see this ad :)
You are not a minority in healthcare. This doesn’t negate diversity you can bring to the school.
LOL tell that to schools. In academia the only “diversity” that matters and gives you privilege points is the color of your skin (aka anything but white or Asian).

Definitely put middle eastern. Especially if there is a white AND a middle eastern option. I would like to see someone call you out on it.

I have a friend who is the whitest guy you will ever meet but looks Indian. His mom immigrated from India and his dad is white. You are damn sure he didn't put white.
I have another friend applying this cycle who immigrated from Iran at age seven. He definitely did not put white.

I don't understand why you guys are putting white. Iranians and Indians are not white, but Jordanians and Palestinians are? I am so confused.

Iranians are considered white as are Jordanians and Palestinians.... Indians are considered Asian...

It's not based on your appearance. Caucasians come from the Caucas mountains....

Also a lot of the people from North Iran look Eastern European. Typically the people from South Iran are darker and look nothing like their northern counterparts

Also why avoid putting white???

Last edited:
Honesty is the best answer. Do not put on your app that you're not white solely for a better chance at getting accepted... Ask your parents what they consider themselves to be and what they consider you to be. If they say white, put white. If they say middle eastern, then put that. It's seriously not that big of a deal.

How can your first friend be the whitest guy you'll ever meet but still look Indian? Are you trying to say he looks Indian but "acts" white?

Since when are Indians/Asians underrepresented in academics/professional schools?

CaWftZc.png

^note: the 62.5% enrollment rate for the Native Hawaiian or other Pacific Islander group was based on only 16 people

Last edited:
How can your first friend be the whitest guy you'll ever meet but still look Indian? Are you trying to say he looks Indian but "acts" white?

Because the benefits of diversity policies are about improving minority access to resources (where systematic structures unfairly deny them access) and increasing free exchange of information, ie, culture, backgrounds, etc. My friend does not really fulfill that role. But he would be stupid to put white on the application, because institutions are looking to increase diversity, as well they should be, and the easiest way for institutions to do this, whether accurate or not, is by looking at which little box you ticked. That may have been a run on sentence. So yeah, don't put white, unless you are white. I think that is pretty straightforward.

Because the benefits of diversity policies are about improving minority access to resources (where systematic structures unfairly deny them access) and increasing free exchange of information, ie, culture, backgrounds, etc. My friend does not really fulfill that role. But he would be stupid to put white on the application, because institutions are looking to increase diversity, as well they should be, and the easiest way for institutions to do this, whether accurate or not, is by looking at which little box you ticked. That may have been a run on sentence. So yeah, don't put white, unless you are white. I think that is pretty straightforward.
Well what do EYE put? Is there a “other” option? EYE don’t think it’s fair to put Asian?

Well what do EYE put? Is there a “other” option? EYE don’t think it’s fair to put Asian?
First of all, the supposed “ORM” bias is not real. The percentage of Asians being accepted to medical school is deflated due to many unqualified refugees/etc. apply and are denied due to not fulfilling the pre-requisites. Source: multiple ad coms/pre-health advisors.

I certainly don’t mean to turn this into that sort of debate, but my point is there is really no value in debating whether to claim white or Asian ethnicity. Be the best candidate you can be and it will all work itself out!

Also, I mean this in the nicest way possible: eye refers to the special sense organ that allows us to see, whereas “I” refers to first person singular subject.

Last edited by a moderator:
First of all, the supposed “ORM” bias is not real. The percentage of Asians being accepted to medical school is deflated due to many unqualified refugees/etc. apply and are denied due to not fulfilling the pre-requisites. Source: multiple ad coms/pre-health advisors.

I certainly don’t mean to turn this into that sort of debate, but my point is there is really no value in debating whether to claim white or Asian ethnicity. Be the best candidate you can be and it will all work itself out!

Also, I mean this in the nicest way possible: eye refers to the special sense organ that allows us to see, whereas “I” refers to first person singular.
Yeah I agree with this if you’re white or Asian your chances won’t improve or get worse based on what you check. If you were trying to check African American or Hispanic there would be no question since that significantly increases your chances, but Asian? Nah

"If you were trying to check African American or Hispanic there would be no question since that significantly increases your chances"

Why is that though?

"If you were trying to check African American or Hispanic there would be no question since that significantly increases your chances"

Why is that though?
I would avoid this conversation... sure fire way to get you banned from SDN. Just know that many admissions committees actively try to increase their diversity by specifically selecting for students of these two ethnicities (among other groups).

Also, I mean this in the nicest way possible: eye refers to the special sense organ that allows us to see, whereas “I” refers to first person singular subject.

I agree that all you can do is focus on being the best candidate you can be.

Being White is probably going to help you indirectly via your in-state public school options though. SDN bashes on Meharry and Howard mercilessly, but very few talk about West Virginia University's 18.6 AA. 80% of dentists in West Virginia graduated from West Virginia University per their website. I feel bad for the 1,275 OOS applicants fighting over 32 interviews (vs. 72 in-state applicants "fighting" over 66 interviews).

9H42VIl.png

Did someone ask them about ORMs or did they volunteer that information? For the record, Asians have a higher median household income than Whites...so idk about that refugee theory.

0Oe55Cz.png

and finally, he's talking about this bug

QNldwDq.jpg

Lmfao asking a legitimate question like that gets you banned here? terrible...
I think it’s just on this particular forum... it just leads to too many ridiculous debates regarding its efficacy