Do I still have a chance? Junior with 2.57 GPA.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sweatshirtgirl

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm sorry if this gets long but I want you to get an accurate description of my situation and hopefully get some meaningful feedback and tips.

I went through a lot of personal issues during my Freshman and Sophomore year and consequently did poorly and had to retake classes in order to move on in the series. Long story short, I am finishing up Spring quarter of Junior year soon and my cumulative GPA is a 2.57.

I was a straight A student in high school but because of what I went through, I really fell off of my grind. I had to retake precalculus, the first and last general chemistry, as well as the second biology. I did significantly better in precalculus but only enough to move on in the rest of the classes. This quarter , I have no longer had to deal with the issues I did before but my experiences have motivated me to continue the track towards Medical School. However, I am very scared of how the future will turn out because of my past. I ended the last quarter getting a low score in my organic chemistry class and a 0.0 in my biology. I am currently retaking the classes and doing much better. I still need to take the last organic chemistry, all of the physics series, statistics, and all of the biology classes required for my major (My point being there is room for me to do significantly better and perhaps remedy my cumulative as well as Science GPA?). I also believe that due to my bumpy road, I will be taking a fifth year at my school as well.

That being said,

-I have over 500 volunteering hours at my hospital where I continually moved up in position (starting with being in charge of the magazine cart, to being trusted with the front concierge desk, to now being on the oncology floor as well as the birthing center with premature and NAS babies, and I eventually plan on moving to the ER). I'm in the "100% club" there as well.

-I have shadowed a General Surgeon for almost 50 hours, a PA for 20, and will probably continue with a gynecologist.

-I am heavily involved with 3 total Registered Student Organizations, sitting on the board of one of them, and also sitting on Student Senate as a registered senator.

-I am currently a Medical Scribe.

-I am planning on becoming a CNA or EMT as well- probably during my fifth year.

So basically, if I do well for the rest of my college experience as well as doing well on the MCAT, do you think I still have a shot at Medical School? If you've read through this, thank you and I'd love some honest feedback. What would I have to do/be mindful of?

Members don't see this ad.

Use the AMCAS grade calculator to see what your Sgpa and Cgpa would be with all A's from now until graduation.
That will help us figure out a path for success.
You can find one in the sticky at the top of the What are My Chances thread in "pre Allo helpful hints."
State of residence?
You really would not need more shadowing hours if you had some primary care.

Reactions: 1 user
My state of residence is Washington State and I apologize but I've been looking for a GPA calculator and for a "pre Allo helpful hints" thread but couldn't find either. I see three threads in the stickies. Is it under one of them? I think I'm just looking under the wrong threads.

With a sub 3.2 science GPA MD schools are basically out of the picture (except caribbean schools). If I was in your situation, I would start considering new career fields. That being said, if you're willing to dedicate your life to your goals, nothing is impossible...

Your best chance is with DO schools. But even with DO schools, I must bring you some bad news. Sadly, AACOMAS has done away with their grade replacement policy. All of you previous grades will be calculated when determining your cGPA and sGPA for both DO and MD programs.
http://www.aacom.org/become-a-doctor/applying/notice-of-repeat-coursework-policy-change

That being said, there is almost never a 0% chance of being accepted into a medical school if you put in the work. I met one man at Oklahoma State College of Osteopathic Medicine who was accepted into their DO program with a 3.1 sGPA and one woman (who was a URM) who was accepted with a 3.0 sGPA. They were both in their late 20s. To achieve a similar GPA in your situation, you'll have to earn roughly 3 A grades in science classes for every D or F grade you've received in science classes and NEVER make another grade below an A- again ESPECIALLY in science classes. Challenging, but doable. http://gpacalculator.net/college-gpa-calculator/

Your MCAT score is even more incredibly important when applying with a low GPA. The man I met at Oklahoma State scored above a 510 (512-513 maybe...can't remember exactly). I don't recall the woman's score.

I'm by no means an expert, but my advice to you is work you butt off to get a 4.0 your next two years. Then apply to an MS program in biomedical sciences/biology/physiology. Score above a 510 on your MCAT while in the MS program. A strong, long upward trend like this will show ADCOMs that you've recovered from your personal issues and that your life is back on track. The MS degree (with a 4.0 of course) will show you can handle graduate level science courses. Gain experience working as an EMT/CNA from now until the time you apply. Add some primary care to your shadowing. Publish research while a student in the MS program.

If medicine is the ONLY thing you see yourself doing, and you're willing to dedicate your life to your goal, it is definitely possible to be admitted to a medical school in the next 4-5 years.