DO I STILl HAVE A SCHANCE OR SHOULD I GIVE UP?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

illmakeit1day

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
does do school calculate all gpas from institutions you've attended or just the gpa from the school you finish?

my family moved a lot and it was a quite difficult time...i have a 2.73..a 1.89...a 2.75 gpa and now i have a 4.0 gpa...will they calculate all my gpa's and take the average or just the highest gpa...i haven't taken the mcat yet or even finished college...i just want to know if i still have a shot at do school or are my studies at this point in vain..im a sophomore btw...

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
All college courses you've ever taken will be taken into account-- many schools like to see an upward trend but your cumulative GPA is based on all college courses taken.

Since you're a sophomore i think your GPA is probably malleable enough that you should focus on trying to get the highest GPA you can and the MCAT will be the great equalizer. Don't give up.

Reactions: 1 users
Thank you so much, I'm trying to keep my grades up and defy the odds but it's easy to get discouraged..

Don't even think of the MCAT.

Why did you get such a low GPA? Ask yourself if the trials are over or if it's time to take some time off.

I went through some *$&% in life, took a semester off of school after my life mentor committed suicide and a number (like 5) friends died. While working nearly full-time as a 911 paramedic, was just too much and needed a break from school. Explained this during interviews, was a non-issue and got accepted on my first cycle.

Consider taking some time off.

Realistically -- if you don't fix what caused those low GPAs and you continue along this trend, you will not get into medical school.