Do Lab hours count as total Semester hours?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

For example, in my University Gen Chem 1 is 3 credit hours for the lecture and 1 credit hour for the lab to make up 4 credit hours total.

When I looked up a few dental school requirements, it generally said that you need 8 semester hours of inorganic chemistry, 8 semester hours org etc. and it said that lab courses must also be taken with science pre reqs.

My first question is whether the lab also counts towards the semester hours? Because otherwise my Gen Chem sequence will only be 6 semester hours since each is a 3 credit class, with 2 extra credits coming from the 2 labs.

And my other question is whether we actually have to take labs with the intro Bio pre-reqs, because at my Uni the upper level labs replace the lower level bio labs anyways, so there's no point taking them.

Members don't see this ad.

Yes, labs count towards prereq hours. In fact, they are usually required.

Yes, labs count towards prereq hours. In fact, they are usually required.
Alright that's good.

Another question, my school offers Orgo 1 online and in class, but the one in class doesn't really fit my schedule well and it's an 8 am. Would taking Orgo online for 3 credit hours (Plus 2 credit hours for lab) be better or worse than taking Orgo for 4 credit hours (plus the same 2 hrs for lab) in class. Both are offered by my University and both are during the semester. The online one is a lot more convenient for me though.

Members don't see this ad :)
I am not sure that I would take OChem online. It's a pretty vital class for understand and for the DAT. The only way I would do that is if the profs at the school were terrible or if the online course is absolutely excellent.

I am not sure that I would take OChem online. It's a pretty vital class for understand and for the DAT. The only way I would do that is if the profs at the school were terrible or if the online course is absolutely excellent.
Does taking a class online really mean you learn less?

Personally for me I never learn anything from lectures anyway, most of my learning comes from textbooks. If attendance wasn't mandatory I wouldn't even bother attending lectures. The professors here are great and knowledgeable, but me personally as a student, I learn A LOT better when I teach myself the material rather than when I listen to someone explain it.

Sounds like you knew the answer to that question before you asked it then ;)

Reactions: 1 user
Sounds like you knew the answer to that question before you asked it then ;)
Haha I guess this was just a good exercise to get my real thoughts out. Sometimes you don't can't justify your decisions until you actually say it out to someone else.

Reactions: 1 user