Do letters of recommendation from Engineering professors count as science letters?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SwimmerDentist95

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone. I am almost ready to send off my application for the 2018-2019 cycle and I can't believe I'm asking this question now. Do letters of rec from engineering professors count as science letters of rec??

I majored in biomedical engineering for undergrad. Having spent majority of my time with engineering faculty, I felt they were the ones that knew me the best and not my gen chem or intro bio professors. I asked our school's pre-health advisor and she said they would count for science letters.

Will I be okay? Will this limit certain schools I can apply to? Anyone have any insight or advice?
Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I would email each of the schools you are applying to and ask as soon as possible. Schools tend to vary quite a bit in what they are willing to accept for letters, so it's best to straight up ask before you submit.

Reactions: 1 user
I had to use a calculus professor as a science letter of recommendation. I called every school and asked if they would accept it. Some were flexible and some were not. Definitely double check!

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
It depends on the school. Most schools are ok with letters from engineering professors but there are a few schools that strictly require letters from BCP professors. I know USC is one of those but you should definitely check with the other schools you are interested in

Thanks for the advice everyone!

Majority of my schools said it would be okay.
But for other engineers out there... Maryland specifically asks for one chemistry and one biology. Detroit said one of the engineering LOR would be fine, but wanted an additional letter from a bio, chem, or phys prof.

Reactions: 2 users
What? I literally emailed around asking if engineering or computer science was acceptable as science letters, and the majority of those that state they required BCP letters were extremely rigid on the fact that it had to be BCP. However, I guess since you were BME, then there may be enough bio in some of your engineering courses for that to count.