DO Match List Thread 2021

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
what do you guys think the best matches were this year from the DO world?

Members don't see this ad.

what do you guys think the best matches were this year from the DO world?
U mich- vascular CT surgery
NYU- Ortho
Both were crazy good applicants. This was discussed in this thread a few pages back.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
We’ve already seen this happen with the integrated plastics match (which is roughly 1/5 the size of the ortho pool). I absolutely can see this trend continuing in ortho. Even looking at the past cycle, some of the most impressive DO ortho matches came via research year applicants.
I think integrated plastics is a different beast because it's uniquely unfriendly to DOs, whereas ortho has a stronger history of taking DO applicants. To even get looked at as a DO in plastics, you need to be a superduperstar. Significantly more IMGs match plastics than DOs.

whereas ortho has a stronger history of taking DO applicants
This is mostly because AOA actually had a decent chunk (~1/6) of the total existing ortho programs. If you look at the match tables we usually matched between 0 to 4 spots a year into ACGME ortho. In 2017 there were 3 matches to ACGME ortho and 119 to AOA. It's not that Ortho suddenly became more DO friendly. Just that the DO friendly programs are now in the NRMP match.

Reactions: 4 users
My school still hasn’t posted their match list. But last year posted it in April. 😕

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Does anyone know if COMLEX-only applicants got more favored matches compared to last year, especially in primary-care specialties? I know it's preferred to take the USMLE, however I wanted to know if the sky is falling (or not) for COMLEX-only applicants given that we have 2 years of data post-merger.

Members don't see this ad :)
Does anyone know if COMLEX-only applicants got more favored matches compared to last year, especially in primary-care specialties? I know it's preferred to take the USMLE, however I wanted to know if the sky is falling (or not) for COMLEX-only applicants given that we have 2 years of data post-merger.
I don’t think there’s a way to know that, but logically why would they have improved?

Reactions: 5 users
Schools have been taking forever to release their full lists this year for some reason.

Schools have been taking forever to release their full lists this year for some reason.
Do schools actually know where students get matched? Or does it rely on self-reporting? Cuz that could take a while

Do schools actually know where students get matched? Or does it rely on self-reporting? Cuz that could take a while
They know because they get the locations of where their students match before the students even get the emails on match day. That's how they're able to have the locations sealed in envelopes way in advance for match day celebrations.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
Still no match list from Nova. 🤔
Still nothing from my school either.

Edit: Actually still nothing from many schools which is insane. They used to have been released by now.

My school posted half of the match on FB. The other half is still unaccounted for.

Could this be a bad sign from these schools?
I am not sure this is a bad sign for DO schools. DO matches are not as good in 2021. Most DO match postings could be posted by students from their own sources like match day videos. They might be told not to post the unofficial results this year by their schools. Few DO schools (like the one in S Cal) posted their match results in their commencement exercise announcements.

I am not sure this is a bad sign for DO schools. DO matches are not as good in 2021. Most DO match postings could be posted by students from their own sources like match day videos. They might be told not to post the unofficial results this year by their schools. Few DO schools (like the one in S Cal) posted their match results in their commencement exercise announcements.
I think it’s just taking longer, no clue why

My school told us they were working on the list, but that many students didn't reply to email asking for permission to release where they matched, so that was one of the issues. But we have a match day YouTube video that has about half of the matches.

Last edited:
My school told us they were working on the list, but that many students didn't reply to email asking for permission to release where they match, so that was one of the issues. But we have a match day YouTube video that has about half of the matches.
Do not understand why they did not bother to reply for release permission. I cannot wait for 8 more months for match day and give the school permission to release. Too bad, looks like match day party and commencement 2022 will be virtual again.

My school told us they were working on the list, but that many students didn't reply to email asking for permission to release where they match, so that was one of the issues. But we have a match day YouTube video that has about half of the matches.
Kinda silly because the lists released on school websites are anonymized so no permission is needed.

Kinda silly because the lists released on school websites are anonymized so no permission is needed.
I guess you could still figure out the people's names by looking at the residency programs' pages if they publish them without permission.

Nova released their match list this morning. About to take a look at it.

Reactions: 2 users
Love how they called them “placements” and not matches. Hmmmm

Screenshot_20210809-201333_Instagram.jpg

Reactions: 10 users
AZCOM reported 80% match rate pre SOAP and 95.6% for total placement. A single tear rolled down my cheek when I saw that at our dean's talk, not gonna lie.
  • Internal Medicine: 83
  • Family Medicine: 50
  • Surgery (all sub-specialties): 21
  • Emergency Medicine: 23
  • Anesthesiology: 13
  • Pediatrics: 12
  • Psychiatry: 10
  • Radiology: 5
  • OB/GYN: 5
  • Neurology: 3
  • PM&R: 2

• Wow
That's pretty horrifying. They were supposed to be one of the "good" schools.

the only good schools are the ones with their own residencies that cover all/most specialties . only a hand full

Wonder why they would say they need permission... Its almost like they just don't want to release the list :p

Damn is it just me or is that really bad?
Its more common than you think. I know of several schools with those kinds of numbers including my former. However, that said, I think that is probably lower than prior for AZCOM. I would guess that it is still above average for DO schools, but I admit thats pure speculation.

the only good schools are the ones with their own residencies that cover all/most specialties . only a hand full
Agreed, and even then its only really good if they don't have a bunch of branches competing for the same residencies spot. Its one thing I have admired about Campbell over the years. I think they are, IMO, the best DO school in the South besides TCOM because they prioritize their only campus and have started many residencies. Its funny, everyone thought NOVA was better 10 years ago, but I don't think they are anymore.

Its more common than you think. I know of several schools with those kinds of numbers including my former. However, that said, I think that is probably lower than prior for AZCOM. I would guess that it is still above average for DO schools, but I admit thats pure spespeculation
Average placement for DO schools was 98% this year.

Average placement for DO schools was 98% this year.
I was referring to the match rate being around 80%. If overall placement is what you say it is this year, then they are performing even worse than I expected. I admittedly have spent zero time looking into the match data this year as I have been busy.