Do MD's view DO's the same?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Florence Scrubs

UASOM Class of 2011
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just curious if anyone knows if MD's respect DO's like they do other MD's.

Members don't see this ad.

Florence Scrubs said:

They do in Oklahoma, since DO's run all of the MD hospitals & teach in the residency programs.

Members don't see this ad :)
MD's respect me because they know I have a very large penis.

In all seriousness, you need to do a tiny bit of work for yourself and look back in this forum and maybe use the search feature since this question has been discussed in every imaginable combination, degree, and way probable to the human mind. There is a reason old threads don’t get erased.

Florence Scrubs said:

Yes, they do, but they dont respect DOs who did undergrad in Alabama.

stomper627 said:
Yes, they do, but they dont respect DOs who did undergrad in Alabama.

Actually, does anyone respect people from Alabama?

Fenrezz said:
Actually, does anyone respect people from Alabama?

No infact it's a crime to do so. Is'nt there a law that says that you have to automatically deduct 20 IQ points or half a grade point if someones from Alabama?

Docgeorge said:
No infact it's a crime to do so. Is'nt there a law that says that you have to automatically deduct 20 IQ points or half a grade point if someones from Alabama?

That's harsh!

Guy from Alabama told me that the one good thing about the state is at least it isn't Mississippi :D

why is that this question is always asked by "do"s? why do you guys care so much about getting md love? if you're truly comfortable with your choice of education/degree, then why worry what anyone else thinks?

Members don't see this ad :)
Celiac Plexus said:
why is that this question is always asked by "do"s? why do you guys care so much about getting md love? if you're truly comfortable with your choice of education/degree, then why worry what anyone else thinks?

There is a reason why this question is always asked in DO forum and never in MD forum.... just wondering if someone will actually say so on this forum. Ppl get too much flame on the DO forum if u say one negative thing about DOs whether it is the truth or not.

But I think this is a valid question....Two MDs I have encountered haven't shown flat-out disrespect for DOs but have made slightly disparaging comments. And why is it so bad to worry about what people think, especially your dead-equal colleagues one day, you know? So I want to see people, but not in this forum, maybe the allo or osteo forum answer this question. But I concur this ain't the forum really to get answers. I mean I'm sure most MDs do view DOs the same...And really, if you do a good job no one is going to view you inferiorly.

I work in a hospital where there are Mds and DOs, including a few DO residents. I was talking to the MDs about going into family practice or pediatrics and told them a little about my background. I did a fellowship in holistic medicine and really agree with the osteopathic philosophy. The attending physician, who went to UMASS med (USNEWS #4 in primary care), told me without any prior knowledge that I was looking into osteopathic medicine to consider it if I really wanted to go into a generalist field. She said that the osteopathic students learn how to touch their patients and are vastly superior at completing physical exams (her words). She even said that she often calls over senior residents to help her with a difficult physical exam cause they "know the body". The other physician said that he really liked DOs and saw no difference between the MD and DO residents except that DO students often are more comfortable with patients right off the bat compared to their MD allies. This is just something to think about and comes from a small hospital in New England. Pretty cool none the less. Just food for thought.

redwings54 said:
I work in a hospital where there are Mds and DOs, including a few DO residents. I was talking to the MDs about going into family practice or pediatrics and told them a little about my background. I did a fellowship in holistic medicine and really agree with the osteopathic philosophy. The attending physician, who went to UMASS med (USNEWS #4 in primary care), told me without any prior knowledge that I was looking into osteopathic medicine to consider it if I really wanted to go into a generalist field. She said that the osteopathic students learn how to touch their patients and are vastly superior at completing physical exams (her words). She even said that she often calls over senior residents to help her with a difficult physical exam cause they "know the body". The other physician said that he really liked DOs and saw no difference between the MD and DO residents except that DO students often are more comfortable with patients right off the bat compared to their MD allies. This is just something to think about and comes from a small hospital in New England. Pretty cool none the less. Just food for thought.

no need to get flamed, but that is a biased statment. In reality it is the person. Either he likes our practice or doesn't like it. it's that simple.
Althought some state have more DO's practicing therefore there is a greater probablity of acceptance.

I spoke to a DO last week who voiced his concerns regarding the prejudice he had encountered from the MD community. Not just from the MDs themselves, but also "MD hospitals" where most, if not all, of the docs on staff are MDs... apparently DOs can have difficulty getting privileges there, and dealing with the nursing and administrative staff can be difficult at best in that circumstance.

Lots of the prejudice is encountered in areas without a DO school. In his experience, places with DO schools nearby have MDs who are far more accepting of DOs. Unfortunately, Colorado ain't necessary one of them. Which I think is utter crap - he's a fabulous doctor (one of the best I've ever dealt with).

Celiac Plexus said:

I don't think the OP is a DO but rather somone contemplating applying to med school. It is the individual physician that earns respect, not the degree, which is why we are having some fun at the expense of the OP and a stupid question. If you think getting an MD or a DO degree is an instant respect badge then you haven't been in the real world yet. People earn respect.

I don't think the OP is a DO but rather somone contemplating applying to med school. It is the individual physician that earns respect, not the degree, which is why we are having some fun at the expense of the OP and a stupid question. If you think getting an MD or a DO degree is an instant respect badge then you haven't been in the real world yet. People earn respect.

Exactly, but do you agree that in some situations DOs may have to work a bit harder to garner the same respect they would if they were an MD?

crys20 said:
Exactly, but do you agree that in some situations DOs may have to work a bit harder to garner the same respect they would if they were an MD?

If respect is what you are in medicine for.

Comon man....its like I said....its all about not respecting those from Alabama ;)

If respect is what you are in medicine for.

Please. Everyone desires the respect of their co-workers, superiors, etc. at some basic level. I'm not saying I want the public to respect me as a doctor more than they do my father who has worked 30 years in a factory. Of course the bottom line is that your competence as a physician determines how much colleagues respect you.

Sure, an MD might earn you some instant credibility, after all you did earn an MD (in the US hopefully). Whether that MD will earn you more credibility than a DO is in perception and in the eye of the beholder. But, where you take that credibility and if you earn respect is another story. If you are a hard working, talented, and morale physician and person you will earn respect from most people. If not you won’t. If you want respect then you should lead by example and earn it, which is much more valuable than any degree.
In the end I would prefer to work hard and do my best to earn respect rather than have it handed to me anyway, maybe it is pride or maybe it is just who I am.