Do new acgme rules work??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

vent

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Dear surgical residents, please read following info from acgme and share your experience. Do these rules work in your program? If, no do you think it will eventually work?

1.Residents are limited to a maximum of 80 duty hours per week, including in-house call, averaged over four weeks. In certain cases, starting in July 2004, residency programs will be allowed to increase duty hours by 10 percent if doing so is necessary for optimal resident education and the program receives approval from the appropriate RRC.

2.Residents must be given one day out of seven free from all clinical and educational responsibilities, averaged over four weeks.

3.Residents cannot be scheduled for in-house call more than once every three nights, averaged over four weeks.

4.Duty periods cannot last for more than 24 hours, although residents may remain on duty for six additional hours to transfer patients, maintain continuity of care or participate in educational activities.

5.Residents should be given at least 10 hours for rest and personal activities between daily duty periods and after in-house call.

6.In-house moonlight counts toward the weekly limit. In addition, program directors must ensure that external and internal moonlighting does not interfere with the resident's achievement of the program's educational goals and objectives.

Members don't see this ad.

not even close...bub!!

My program seems to follow the rules to almost every point. Sometimes I do fudge my numbers bit so I have a complete 24 hours off (I usually have 22-23 off). That's usually my desire to stay 1-2 more hours to complete everything.

Members don't see this ad :)
Daredevil.
Is a University or community program???

1. Depends on how responsible you feel for doing your patient work. If you have the bug where you cant skip cases, you can't in good conscience sign things out, you will work way more than 80 hours.

2. Most programs are supportive of some aspect of the new rules. Like they will try to get you home early post call, whatever that means. But you will screw other residents if you follow these rules.

3. The biggest loss is lost cases and lost call time. Being on call, for example, at the VA means I am the only one in house covering surgery patients/consults/units/codes. Nothing like being thrown in the water to learn to swim. You learn a $hitload on call.

4. While I say these things, you can get tired the old way. For the most part, I like old school, but when you spend five days straight in the hospital, it can be pain and death looks like a good escape. But better to be miserable and finish your work than happy and lazy.

"Even if you cant breath and your arms are falling off, finish your damn job" -My father

Crazy old man

pba