do/phd

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DOapplicant

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
hey!

are there any do/phd students out there?
i'm a MS-1 and growing more interested in getting involved in research and specializing and less interested in primary care.

i'd have to transfer b/c my school doesn't have a phd in bio sciences.

so far i've seen that umdnj com and osu-com and ccom all have the dual-degree.

if anyone has some exp. to relay about the dual degree program or advise about transferring i'd be VERY grateful to hear from you.

thanks to all those that reply in advance. earger to hear what others think.

Members don't see this ad.

I too am interested in doing a PhD, although I am still thinking about it...my age seems to get the best of me and the interest that will accrue on my student loans as well. So far, I am planning on attending VCOM and I have "heard" that they might be planning on a DO/PhD with Virginia Tech. I still have to look into it. I have done research for a couple of years and still like it.

Have you talked with the administration about taking a leave of absence to pursue a PhD at a University nearby and then completing the DO afterwards? They might allow that in your case...not sure if other schools do.

Just my $0.02

Well, I am behind you in the whole process, but will likely be the only DO/PhD student starting this fall at OSU-COM. I have done a lot of looking around, and finally decided on this route. I am not sure if I will be able to answer your questions being that you are farther along, but I will try.

Members don't see this ad :)
DOapplicant said:
i'm a MS-1 and growing more interested in getting involved in research and specializing and less interested in primary care.

just to interject for a sec....

Have you thought instead of .... finishing school there... and then going on for an NIH fellowship, which in the industry means research, minus the PhD aspect... also, heresy, but my understanding is that it is looked highly upon also... just a thought for you

link to follow... :thumbup: http://www.training.nih.gov/ :thumbup:

DrDad

oh btw... Cardio is sharp... listen to him!

DD

I will be matriculating into the DO/PhD program at UMDNJ-SOM in 2004. I know that there is one other person admitted into the program this year, two DO/PhD students that are currently MS-1, and one that is in his second year of research.

I don't know anything about transferring into a program, so I can't really help you with that. However, I am currently working at the Hospital of the University of Pennsylvania and know several MD/PhDs as well as MDs that are conducting research. In fact, I know an attending physician in Neurology that is a DO and conducts a large amount of clinical research. The doctor that I work for is a MD that spends half of his time seeing patients and the other half conducting neuroimaging research.

My personal thought is that you will be able to conduct clinical research as a DO without problems. If you desire bench-top research, your life will be easier with a PhD.

Best of luck!

I am currently pursuing an MS degree in addition to the DO degree. This past year I was thinking about doing a PhD but decided against it (time reasons). But my understanding is that you can go to any osteopathic school, and apply for PhD programs at various universities of your choice. It really helps if you know someone at your DO school that works in a field you are interested in. He/She may have contacts with a past mentor or colleague. For example, a student here at KCOM a few years ago decided to do a PhD. He got with one of the faculty members who had a friend at the University of Oklahoma doing research in a field that the student was interested in. The student then went, completed the PhD, and then came back to finish his rotations. It took 7 years for this. The problem with doing a program like this is money. I am not sure how the tuition and stipend works out if you choose this route.

You may already be very well aware of this, but I just thought I would clarify:

The DO/PhD at MSU is not an MSTP. Currently there are no DO/PhD programs that have NIGMS funding and can technically call themselves an MSTP.

However, I am in no way trying to discount the quality of MSU's DO/PhD, and since we are now advertising....

http://www.healthsciences.okstate.edu/biomedical/do_phd_degree.htm