If you...
#1 Acknowledge that it costs more to insure smokers
#2 Expect a hospital to cover that increase in cost
Then yes, you are saying EXACTLY what you bolded. Given that a number of people have indicated that they agree with #1 and #2, it has been said multiple times in this thread.
I don't really know the foundation of some of the people in this thread, but if you have ever worked with insurance companies and/or benefits from a company or hospital, it is very clear exactly what this increased cost is. What you are advocating for in the name of "individual liberties", is that a hospital should support the smoker's lifestyle choice financially.
Personally, I don't think that they are. I think that individuals should be responsible for their own lives and what they make of them and shouldn't expect handouts, especially when it comes to lifestyle choices.
Never mind the multiple times when I stated that it would be perfectly legitimate to increase insurance fees to smokers, or for their insurance to incur a penalty not covered by employers, or any other solution which does not entail the employer dictating the personal lives of its workers.
Never mind the fact that there are plenty of people who will cost more to insure due to other choices they make, yet we don't advocate banning them from jobs they're otherwise suited for.
I've made those concessions to you, even though I think it's bull$#@, because I don't want to get into the fact that yeah, even as a NONsmoker, I respect their right to make their choices even though my insurance bill is higher for it. When I pay for insurance, I take a calculated financial risk in order to avoid financial catastrophe. I am neither the best bet for an insurance company nor the worst one. I accept that some people will spend thousands on insurance and never get anything back from it...those are the lucky ones, they stay healthy. Others will pay a little and end up having hundreds of thousands covered. That's what insurance
is, it's the entire point of the damn thing. And I accept that my fine is a bit higher because people did stupid things with their life choices, but I would take that trade any day over living in a society where everyone got to evaluate whether
they thought that my life choices count as 'acceptable' or 'unacceptable' risks to
them. But all of that aside, I have repeatedly stated that, if you feel that strongly about the damn finances, this should be made a financial issue, rather than an employment one.
Why do you keep putting individual liberties in quotations, as if it's not a real thing? It's not like it's some radical, hippie notion that people should be able to partake in legal activities in their off time, even if they risk injury because of it. It's not like this is some fringe idea. 4-5 states have laws which prohibit employers from dicatating/banning
any legal activities in employees' off times. Several have ones referencing alcohol specifically. The fact that obesity and sexual orientation are protected classes indicates that there are some life choices which are widely considered important enough not to be dictated by employers, ever. And again, 29 states have laws on the books specifically preventing similar 'non-smoker' employment practices, because they're considered to be discriminatory. Again, it's fine if that's not a liberty that
you value, but that doesn't mean that it's not a liberty.