This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Johnny Appleseed

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
MEDschoolTUITION.PNG

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 8 users
Here is an updated list of all DO schools, their tuition (resident and non-resident), est. cost of living (including room, board, books, and cost of living), the total cost of attendance (non-resident tuition + cost of living), the average scholarship/grant each student receives, and the average graduate indebtedness for the given year. I highlighted non-resident tuition numbers if they were different than resident tuition.

All of this information is according to the Osteopathic Medical College Information Book (it can be found here: http://www.aacom.org/docs/default-source/cib/cib_web_full-publication.pdf?sfvrsn=34 ). Most of these numbers should be accurate, but if you aren't sure the best place to double check them would be the website of the actual school, as that source will be more accurate that the Osteopathic Medical College Information Book. If there are any errors let me know and I can make changes.

I am not aware of the methodology used to gather these numbers, but they are shown in the Osteopathic Medical College Information Book (which I consider a good source). If someone does know how these numbers (specifically average scholarship/grant and cost of living) are calculated please share.

Hopefully this is a good resource for making decisions on which schools would be the best fit for you.

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
This makes LECOM more appealing

So what does the average scholarship/grant column mean? Is that how much money the school awards its students on average?

Don't make your decision based on the COA or you're going to hate your life for the next four years.

Don't make your decision based on the COA or you're going to hate your life for the next four years.
Finish the story. You MAY hate your life for the next 4 years but when you are done you'll be glad you didn't go to CCOM and take on the extra 100k loan burden

Reactions: 3 users
Finish the story. You MAY hate your life for the next 4 years but when you are done you'll be glad you didn't go to CCOM and take on the extra 100k loan burden

If this thread is trying to validate LECOM as the #1 choice, it's the wrong decision. CCOM is an overpriced name for its quality. There're equivalent options that are about 50-60K cheaper that will make you happier for the next 4 years.

In the grand scheme of things, COA should be very low on the desirability list if the difference is 50-60K or less for four years. It starts to matter a little bit more if we top the 100K mark.

Last edited by a moderator:
The schools with about 100k more tuition are ccom, Azcom, kcu, pnwu, rvu, soma, tuncom, and nsu. Add state schools if oos. That's a lot of schools that I would pick lecom over simply because of tuition.

Reactions: 1 user
You get for what you pay for. No, I'm not saying go to CCOM if you have the chance but LECOM has some serious problems with even more on their way. They are on the verge of losing their tax-exempt status and tuition will skyrocket next year because of it. Their contract with Seton Hill University is also expiring and God knows whats going to happen (SHU is expanding and is considering designating the tiny space LECOM rents for other purposes). The Bradenton campus is going to have a COCA visit soon and things aren't looking pretty. The new Elmira campus will continue to choke students for rotation spots. Don't be fooled with the low tuition.

Members don't see this ad :)
Can't wait to brag to my fam when they ask how much debt I plan to accrue!

So what does the average scholarship/grant column mean? Is that how much money the school awards its students on average?

I'm not sure what all is included in that number, but for some schools it is a significant amount of money. For example at ACOM the average grant is more than tuition! It may be worth a call to the schools fin. aid office to try and figure it out.

If this thread is trying to validate LECOM as the #1 choice, it's the wrong decision. CCOM is an overpriced name for its quality. There're equivalent options that are about 50-60K cheaper that will make you happier for the next 4 years.

In the grand scheme of things, COA should be very low on the desirability list if the difference is 50-60K or less for four years. It starts to matter a little bit more if we top the 100K mark.

This thread is purely a reference. It isn't intended to rank schools in any way. It just made the most sense to me to sort the schools by tuition costs.

I hate the avg indebtedness number. It skews your perspective. It's pulled way to the left by those whose parents or the military paid for school. A more realistic number to look at would be the total COA x 4. (Really COA x 4.2 or 4.3 would be even more accurate because you can expect tuition increases yearly as well as higher cost of living 3rd year with all the testing stuff)

Additionally, I don't think enough emphasis is placed on the cost of tuition and amount of debt you're taking on. The fact is, you're going to get the same degree no matter the school you choose. Many differences between the schools are really inconsequential. Almost any med student will tell you that your success depends far more on you than on your school. If tuition is a difference of $10-20K a year, I can tell you a total difference of $40-80K is not justified. Add interest to that picture and it gets more painful.

Of course if you're doing NHSC or HPSP the tuition should not affect your decision.

You get for what you pay for. No, I'm not saying go to CCOM if you have the chance but LECOM has some serious problems with even more on their way. They are on the verge of losing their tax-exempt status and tuition will skyrocket next year because of it. Their contract with Seton Hill University is also expiring and God knows whats going to happen (SHU is expanding and is considering designating the tiny space LECOM rents for other purposes). The Bradenton campus is going to have a COCA visit soon and things aren't looking pretty. The new Elmira campus will continue to choke students for rotation spots. Don't be fooled with the low tuition.

"They are on the verge of losing their tax-exempt status and tuition will skyrocket next year because of it."

The verge? Erie is yanking tax exemption from everything. They are broke worse than Pittsburgh - just not as well known. LECOM is already coordinating a fair deal (more than fair) in light of the problems in Erie.

Their contract with Seton Hill University is also expiring and God knows whats going to happen (SHU is expanding and is considering designating the tiny space LECOM rents for other purposes).

So a University would rather have a new gym than a medical school that requires such a "tiny" amount of space despite the perception of a medical school on campus?

The Bradenton campus is going to have a COCA visit soon and things aren't looking pretty.

Why? Their board scores are generally very very good. The AOA itself does not place strict rules of entrance, as long as the results are up to standard. Hence the AIS Lecom has, and history has shown that they are correct. You know how many PBL programs have failed? The program Lecom has is desired and sought, so much indeed you have two campuses offering just that.

The new Elmira campus will continue to choke students for rotation spots. Don't be fooled with the low tuition.

Choke? Brash and vague.

Your whole post was a mere attack, and the OP I thank for the tuition review - free of politics.

Reactions: 1 users
Touro-NY has a cost of ~80,000 a year. Yet average indebtedness is only $197,000? That can't be right...

https://tourocom.touro.edu/admissions--aid/tuition--fees/

This right here says ~92,000. Granted you won't need everything so let's go with 80,000 x 4 = ~300,000 by a conservative estimate. Pretty ridiculous in my opinion. & yet every school is going to get record breaking numbers of applicants, yet again.

Don't get me wrong, I want to be a doctor. Sitting on a few DO interviews right now... but this debt scares me

I don't understand the average scholarship grant. What does that mean exactly?

This makes LECOM more appealing

That is particularly the case since many DOs match into primary care, also since you tend to have some discretion as to where you can rotate in your final two years as well.

Touro-NY has a cost of ~80,000 a year. Yet average indebtedness is only $197,000? That can't be right...

https://tourocom.touro.edu/admissions--aid/tuition--fees/

This right here says ~92,000. Granted you won't need everything so let's go with 80,000 x 4 = ~300,000 by a conservative estimate. Pretty ridiculous in my opinion. & yet every school is going to get record breaking numbers of applicants, yet again.

This number tends to be skewed, as a previous post mentioned. There may be many students at the school with parents who pay for their tuition, or students in the military who take on no debt. This can really skew the numbers and make them look a lot better than what they really are.

I have to agree with you though, ~300,000 is very realistic and that's a lot of dough. I'm afraid the tuition will continue to rise as long as they keep getting as many applicants as they are. Could get scary....

I don't understand the average scholarship grant. What does that mean exactly?

finaidinfo.PNG

This is where I found that number (this is just an example for ACOM). I am not sure how the number is calculated or how accurate it is. I would suggest giving the fin. aid office a call and asking for some more details. I have a few schools I am going to call and ask, I'll let you know what I find out.

Don't get me wrong, I want to be a doctor. Sitting on a few DO interviews right now... but this debt scares me

Unless you get into a Texas or state MD school your debt will be about there wherever you go