Do you judge your overweight classmates?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
So I’m usually on the vet med side, but I’ve been watching this thread and I feel after reading about VSG comments I should go ahead and comment. VSG is not that successful, the vast majority of sleeve patients only lose 50% of their excess weight and then gain back about half of that. The average weight they keep off is only around 40lbs. Not enough for you to casually ask them to risk their life for. Weight loss isn’t just about food, you have to change EVERYTHING in your life. Here is a quote from another sleever because this what we all go through and she says it best “I tell everyone who is wanting WLS, be prepared to lose family, friends, and partners.

Partners have a hard time losing control. As much as we think we are not controlled by others...we are. I was, he hated my WLS, hated me losing weight, hated me gaining confidence...he controlled me by saying...your fat and no one will ever want you. Then when I got thinner, he would tell me I looked like a bag of bones...our 26 years marriage ended.

Fat friends, don't want to be around you because you are a reminder of there failures. They want to be you and can't. They want you to be Fat just like them. This is why they say things like, your too skinny, I like you better when you were fat, you think you're too good for us now, why can't you just eat the cake and not go to the gym?

Thin friends, they don't want you around either. They are afraid of you... you are no longer the "watch my purse" friend while they go off dancing with a guy. You are no longer the "fat girl" in the group. YOU are now competition. Guys are hitting on you now, they want to dance with you now and they hate it.

So be prepared to lose and not just the weight.”

So when they walk in maybe you should ask them if they have depression, need therapy, can try to get outside and walk more. Anything but judging. You have no right to judge because we all know how to “eat right” and I guarantee you we’ve all eaten 500 cal or less for extended amounts of time. It’s hard. The sleeve is a tool that can fail easily if someone’s husband keeps bringing home ice cream and Hershey kisses. Oh and they can DIE. Do you know how many people die from this in my group? Someone every few weeks. They’d still be alive if they were fat.

I’d also like to say that now that I’m not obese I’ve been diagnosed with Hashimoto’s, and PCOS. So maybe I should’ve been medicated instead of being pushed by my physician to get a sleeve. While I was still obese it took me 12 doctors to finally get diagnosed for early menopause. While my marriage was dying everyone just said “nothing is wrong with you except weight”. No, I was having horrid hot flashes and all the things that come with menopause at 38 and no one would listen because I was fat. By the time I was 42 I was post menopausal. After so many tests and a super weird gyno visit they finally agreed I was post and gave me hormones. Do you know the mental toll that happens when sex is off the table for years? Get ready to do your job and mind your business about your classmates. I only pick overweight physicians for my doctor now. So do many of us pre and post fatties. All you skinny ones can’t look past a fat roll to diagnose a bladder infection.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Members don't see this ad.

• Love
  • Wow
Reactions: 11 users
Thank you for sharing your story.

The ending though: I'm pretty sure this is the same weight prejudice you're accusing others of:
All you skinny ones can’t look past a fat roll to diagnose a bladder infection.

Disclaimer: I am not skinny.

Reactions: 1 user
So I’m usually on the vet med side, but I’ve been watching this thread and I feel after reading about VSG comments I should go ahead and comment. VSG is not that successful, the vast majority of sleeve patients only lose 50% of their excess weight and then gain back about half of that. The average weight they keep off is only around 40lbs. Not enough for you to casually ask them to risk their life for. Weight loss isn’t just about food, you have to change EVERYTHING in your life. Here is a quote from another sleever because this what we all go through and she says it best “I tell everyone who is wanting WLS, be prepared to lose family, friends, and partners.

Partners have a hard time losing control. As much as we think we are not controlled by others...we are. I was, he hated my WLS, hated me losing weight, hated me gaining confidence...he controlled me by saying...your fat and no one will ever want you. Then when I got thinner, he would tell me I looked like a bag of bones...our 26 years marriage ended.

Fat friends, don't want to be around you because you are a reminder of there failures. They want to be you and can't. They want you to be Fat just like them. This is why they say things like, your too skinny, I like you better when you were fat, you think you're too good for us now, why can't you just eat the cake and not go to the gym?

Thin friends, they don't want you around either. They are afraid of you... you are no longer the "watch my purse" friend while they go off dancing with a guy. You are no longer the "fat girl" in the group. YOU are now competition. Guys are hitting on you now, they want to dance with you now and they hate it.

So be prepared to lose and not just the weight.”

So when they walk in maybe you should ask them if they have depression, need therapy, can try to get outside and walk more. Anything but judging. You have no right to judge because we all know how to “eat right” and I guarantee you we’ve all eaten 500 cal or less for extended amounts of time. It’s hard. The sleeve is a tool that can fail easily if someone’s husband keeps bringing home ice cream and Hershey kisses. Oh and they can DIE. Do you know how many people die from this in my group? Someone every few weeks. They’d still be alive if they were fat.

I’d also like to say that now that I’m not obese I’ve been diagnosed with Hashimoto’s, and PCOS. So maybe I should’ve been medicated instead of being pushed by my physician to get a sleeve. While I was still obese it took me 12 doctors to finally get diagnosed for early menopause. While my marriage was dying everyone just said “nothing is wrong with you except weight”. No, I was having horrid hot flashes and all the things that come with menopause at 38 and no one would listen because I was fat. By the time I was 42 I was post menopausal. After so many tests and a super weird gyno visit they finally agreed I was post and gave me hormones. Do you know the mental toll that happens when sex is off the table for years? Get ready to do your job and mind your business about your classmates. I only pick overweight physicians for my doctor now. So do many of us pre and post fatties. All you skinny ones can’t look past a fat roll to diagnose a bladder infection.

Thank you so so so so much for sharing your story! I'm so sorry you had to go through all of this, lose your friends and your marriage, and had so many doctors simply tell you that your problems were because of your weight. I had a friend recently who went thru something similar with her doctors--she was short of breath and had back pain and the doctors said it was all due to her weight. Well, right now she's being hospitalized because she had 2 PEs. That's why she was experiencing her symptoms and doctors wouldn't listen to her until she was having more severe symptoms. There are so many people, not just doctors, who assume all a fat person's problems (health and otherwise) will be solved by losing weight. It's just not that simple at all.

Reactions: 5 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you for sharing your story.

The ending though: I'm pretty sure this is the same weight prejudice you're accusing others of:

Disclaimer: I am not skinny.

Well it’s true. I’ve had issues with having a bladder infection and the dr say “I need to lose weight because my urine is normal and it’s probably excess fat pressing on my bladder”...sent out a culture and called back with a script after I suffered with the infection for a week. It took 2 rounds of antibiotics to get through a bladder infection that I knew I had because I was handling proteus mirabilis. All they saw was a fat lady.

• Wow
Reactions: 3 users
Well it’s true. I’ve had issues with having a bladder infection and the dr say “I need to lose weight because my urine is normal and it’s probably excess fat pressing on my bladder”...sent out a culture and called back with a script after I suffered with the infection for a week. It took 2 rounds of antibiotics to get through a bladder infection that I knew I had because I was handling proteus mirabilis. All they saw was a fat lady.

Oh, I believe you that it happened and does happen; but that doesn't meant that all or even most skinny doctors are blinded by a patient weight. In the same way, I suspect obese doctors are more likely to overlook weight-related issues. It's human nature. I think the key is to find a good doctor, regardless of their weight.

Oh, I believe you that it happened and does happen; but that doesn't meant that all or even most skinny doctors are blinded by a patient weight. In the same way, I suspect obese doctors are more likely to overlook weight-related issues. It's human nature. I think the key is to find a good doctor, regardless of their weight.

This is true. My main reason for commenting was about VSG. Please do not be casual when recommending this procedure. Focus on mental health before ever telling anyone its an option. There are amazing health benefits for individuals with HBP (I walked out of the hospital off meds the next day) or diabetes (my roommate walked out with her doses drastically different and a month later she was off meds), but it’s not a decision to just throw out casually. There is so much more to weight than just going out eating a “head of lettuce”. There is plenty of research regarding the microbiome and weight loss...would you casually recommend doing an fmt? There’s only been one death associated with that, but you wouldn’t. Research, empathize, focus on mental health if you really think symptoms are from being overweight and try your best to not judge.

Anywho..
I recently got an Apple Watch and apparently the only thing motivating me to get off my butt is to beat my husband in the weekly competition lolol

Try intermittent fasting (16:8)! Eat 1-2 times a day during certain hours of the day (mine is between 12p-8p). Anything else you consume should be water/coffee/unsweet tea

Reactions: 2 users
Try intermittent fasting (16:8)! Eat 1-2 times a day during certain hours of the day (mine is between 12p-8p). Anything else you consume should be water/coffee/unsweet tea

Not a bad plan. Night time snacking has historically killed me lol
I honestly don’t eat breakfast most days.

yeah it's super easy to follow and it works great. basically you skip breakfast, only eat lunch/dinner, and don't eat any snacks. track your macros to make this more efficient (google macro calculator to find estimated baseline bmr)

Er.... food isn't meant as entertainment.

giphy.gif

giphy.gif
Baby's first SDN troll post. Do me a favor and stay away from specialties that require empathy or a sense of humor.

• Haha
Reactions: 4 users
If I had legislative power to do any one thing, it would be to get rid of the agricultural subsidies that I feel are the driving force behind the processed food environment (and subsequent metabolic crisis) we have on our hands today.
I'd love to stop all the farm welfare too, but more for economic principle reasons than nutrition

• Haha
Members don't see this ad :)
Just FYI, there is a technical difference between those two terms in regards to BMI.

Yes I am aware. That’s why I put the technical definition in parentheses.

No one cares! Let that poster call themselves whatever they want.

Thank you!

I don't care what they call themselves. Do you really think that was what I was after with my comment?

Well since you’re an M0 and I’m an M3 on the wards routinely putting BMI with its respective term in the assessment of my patients with non-ideal weight..... yeah I think that was your concern.

I don't care what they call themselves. Do you really think that was what I was after with my comment?

I have no idea what you're after with any of your posts in this thread, quite honestly.

Yes I am aware. That’s why I put the technical definition in parentheses.

Yeah, that's fair. I had a brain melt with that one. My bad.

Well since you’re an M0 and I’m an M3 on the wards routinely putting BMI with its respective term in the assessment of my patients with non-ideal weight..... yeah I think that was your concern.

It was not. Maybe they teach that in M4?

• Wow
I just feel people come in all shapes and sizes. There are hardcore jobs like that of media or sales in which appearance is very integral.
But it rather depends more on BMI than actual weight figure.
What we see on media is what we consider it was our ideals, and then we try to fit on our classmates or even work colleagues, which is not fair.

The world is ideal out there, and we never know what people do to keep their weight in check- smoke, hardcore training at the expense of other bodily functions, falling into anorexia and depression thereon.

There are options like losing weight with medication, too, if anyone has tried it out also? Well, I won't judge anyone using medicine to lose weight just as I would judge someone is getting Botox fillers to look good on the outside.

Peace out!
I know someone who has tried every option in the book and can't lose weight. Her baseline is overweight. She works out every day for 2 hours, follows a strict diet guided by a nutritionist. She's done those weight loss pills as prescribed by a physician but then ended up getting an arrhythmia and ended up in the hospital. Also knew a little girl in elementary school who had liver failure from a viral infection, got a transplant, and became overweight really fast because of her medications.

It sucks. I will never judge anyone for being overweight.

I gained 20 pounds in 3 months without changing my diet or activity because of a medication I had to go on. I developed such bad self image and went OFF that medication when that happened and struggled to lose that weight for months after that. I wasn't even overweight by the BMI at that time (I went from a BMI of 18.0 to 21.0) but I hated how I felt about myself. I felt helpless. Gives me a lot of empathy for people who struggle to lose weight, who are overweight, etc. It's disgusting to judge.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 8 users
I know someone who has tried every option in the book and can't lose weight. Her baseline is overweight. She works out every day for 2 hours, follows a strict diet guided by a nutritionist. She's done those weight loss pills as prescribed by a physician but then ended up getting an arrhythmia and ended up in the hospital. Also knew a little girl in elementary school who had liver failure from a viral infection, got a transplant, and became overweight really fast because of her medications.

It sucks. I will never judge anyone for being overweight.

I gained 20 pounds in 3 months without changing my diet or activity because of a medication I had to go on. I developed such bad self image and went OFF that medication when that happened and struggled to lose that weight for months after that. I wasn't even overweight by the BMI at that time (I went from a BMI of 18.0 to 21.0) but I hated how I felt about myself. I felt helpless. Gives me a lot of empathy for people who struggle to lose weight, who are overweight, etc. It's disgusting to judge.

It's great to see such empathy and insight. We can never have too much of it in medicine.

Sometimes, things like obesity are the result of poor choices despite knowing better, but perhaps more often, it can be the result of things over which one has no control -- lack of sleep, stress, living in a food desert, and medications that one has no choice but to take and deal with the side-effects -- a lesser or two evils/pick your poison type of thing.

I too was once 30 lb overweight because of a medication. It took me years to burn that off; the lingering stretch marks are a reminder -- to be kind, not only to myself, but to others. Who knows what battles they're fighting...

Reactions: 1 users
There are LOTS of overweight/obese med students, residents and physicians. Just like the general US population, physician population also has individuals on the heftier side. In med school one EM doc I worked with was also on oxygen and obese, she was clinically amazing and learned a lot from her.

One patient got mad at me since her old doctor was obese and the patient could relate to her easier when talking about lifestyle changes, and when I made suggestion, scoffed that it's "easy for a thin boy like you!".

What medication was it? Oh dear I do fear side effects of medication. You are strong to battle through it. I just believe everyone is different no one rule will apply to all. We must take care of ourselves.
That's a personal question that I'm not comfortable with sharing on the internet... but lots of medications have side effects.

I lost 25 pounds over 3 months before med school and 3 months after, because i wanted to seem put together, young, and healthy.... I was doing it for MYSELF sort of, like i didnt think i was going to be judged, but it was more like i was judging MYSELF, you know? I felt like if i didnt do it it meant i was not good enough...

I lost 25 pounds over 3 months before med school and 3 months after, because i wanted to seem put together, young, and healthy.... I was doing it for MYSELF sort of, like i didnt think i was going to be judged, but it was more like i was judging MYSELF, you know? I felt like if i didnt do it it meant i was not good enough...
Wow, that comes to like 2 lbs a week? Did you focus just on diet or did you mix in exercise?
I lost like 20 pounds over 4 months but a lot of that was muscle (since I got injured :( and was overall feeling very down).

Edit, wait, I realized it's 3+3 months, so more like 1 lb a week. Still very impressive :eek:
Living at home, its so much harder for me to keep track of calories since I get actual good food, at school, I literally eat the exact same stuff regularly

Last edited:
Wow, that comes to like 2 lbs a week? Did you focus just on diet or did you mix in exercise?
I lost like 20 pounds over 4 months but a lot of that was muscle (since I got injured :( and was overall feeling very down).
So i was 182 pounds, 5'7 (female), in my early 30s. I did not have any history of trauma, or medical conditions, but i was just not healthy. I Used to be in the military and was very athletic there, but when i got out, i was stress eating, and gained a lot of weight, - from 2015 to 2019 my weight went up from 135 to 182. I had ridiculously low self-esteem. my weight started impacting my health - my blood pressure was 140/90... My doctor said that if i do not change something, i would have a heart attack by the time i am 40... So, when i got accepted to medical school i sort of thought to myself: "what kind of life do i want to have? What kind of person do i want to be?" I always saw myself as someone who wanted to be athletic, positive, healthy, a doctor, vegetarian (just something i always wanted to do for animal rights reasons). But instead i found myself to be 33 years old, fat, stressed out, with horrible self esteem. So when i got accepted i decided "Well, that was the hardest part. If i could do that, i could do anything". hahahha. So the very next day i signed up for my first half marathon, and switch to a completely vegan diet (i decided that i will just skip trying to be vegetarian :))). So over the following 6 months i lost 25 pounds. I look at old pictures, and i cant even recognize my face. I still want to lose 25 more to go back to my old weight, but i am now at normal BMI (25). These first 25 pounds were definitely simply due to switch to vegan diet. Besides running that half marathon i did change my exercising habits (i didnt train for it. I literally just went and ran it ). I am not a really healthy vegan either, i eat a lot of yummy stuff. But i learnt so much about nutrition over the past year, i learnt how to make better choices (for example, instead of wheat pasta i do edamame or red lentil pasta). Anyway, now i decided to mix in exercise, because i want to lose 25 pounds more, and tone up. I want to run another half marathon in the fall (will train this time), and i think i want to try to shoot for a full marathon next spring (right before step 1). So, thats my story.

I love how this thread has evolved. It’s been a very great read.

So i was 182 pounds, 5'7 (female), in my early 30s. I did not have any history of trauma, or medical conditions, but i was just not healthy. I Used to be in the military and was very athletic there, but when i got out, i was stress eating, and gained a lot of weight, - from 2015 to 2019 my weight went up from 135 to 182. I had ridiculously low self-esteem. my weight started impacting my health - my blood pressure was 140/90... My doctor said that if i do not change something, i would have a heart attack by the time i am 40... So, when i got accepted to medical school i sort of thought to myself: "what kind of life do i want to have? What kind of person do i want to be?" I always saw myself as someone who wanted to be athletic, positive, healthy, a doctor, vegetarian (just something i always wanted to do for animal rights reasons). But instead i found myself to be 33 years old, fat, stressed out, with horrible self esteem. So when i got accepted i decided "Well, that was the hardest part. If i could do that, i could do anything". hahahha. So the very next day i signed up for my first half marathon, and switch to a completely vegan diet (i decided that i will just skip trying to be vegetarian :))). So over the following 6 months i lost 25 pounds. I look at old pictures, and i cant even recognize my face. I still want to lose 25 more to go back to my old weight, but i am now at normal BMI (25). These first 25 pounds were definitely simply due to switch to vegan diet. Besides running that half marathon i did change my exercising habits (i didnt train for it. I literally just went and ran it ). I am not a really healthy vegan either, i eat a lot of yummy stuff. But i learnt so much about nutrition over the past year, i learnt how to make better choices (for example, instead of wheat pasta i do edamame or red lentil pasta). Anyway, now i decided to mix in exercise, because i want to lose 25 pounds more, and tone up. I want to run another half marathon in the fall (will train this time), and i think i want to try to shoot for a full marathon next spring (right before step 1). So, thats my story.
Thank you for sharing your journey, it's very inspiring! Congratulations, I hope you continue to meet your goals :)
I wasn't overweight when I lost the weight, but I wasn't happy with it, but then I also became super weak and then regained some weight as school started. I got super into lifting + some cardio in the first 3 months of the year, in the hopes of properly leaning out but covid has really messed with my plans :( Definitely a good time to focus on my diet though.

Thank you for sharing your journey, it's very inspiring! Congratulations, I hope you continue to meet your goals :)
I wasn't overweight when I lost the weight, but I wasn't happy with it, but then I also became super weak and then regained some weight as school started. I got super into lifting + some cardio in the first 3 months of the year, in the hopes of properly leaning out but covid has really messed with my plans :( Definitely a good time to focus on my diet though.
I am sorry ... this sounds stressful ... thankfully (Hahaga ) I hate exercising with all my heart so lockdown didn’t hurt me .

Agree. It’s just hard not to shoot them a judgemental look when we’re talking about healthy diets on rounds. IMO while it doesn’t necessarily make it better, I can understand a non-triad with the dad bod. I’m just smh at guys in their mid 20s looking twice their age because they don’t take care of themselves. Like you’re already studying all day wasting your youth, now you want to waste your prime being obese?
This is the attitude that makes me so frustrated. I'm glad that you shared this and were honest but frankly, I think that shouldn't be anyone's concern as losing weight starts with the person at their own time and terms. There are so many back stories for unhealthy eating that others will never understand and to add that attitude is just being disrespectful. I'll be 100% sure that unless you are willing to drag that person to a gym and workout with them to get them fit, understand that they will suffer already in their third year from attendings/their colleagues throwing snide comments about their weight that will ultimately affect them in their performance and the way they are graded. What would be helpful is to just be a good fellow colleague and support them where they need that encouragement. Life's already so tough and we are all adults dealing how to balance its many aspects, let's try to show them ways to improve on their weight by working on your own health. Inspiration alone can do wonders if I can speak from experience.

• Love
1590299232786.png

• Haha
Reactions: 7 users
What always gets me on these discussions about stigmatized health conditions is like, even if weight/substance abuse/poverty was 100% under the control of personal choices - would shame ever motivate anyone to change their behavior? I'm sure everyone here has had someone in their life judge their lifestyle, and did it ever make you want to change or did it just make you angry and defensive?

People who are overweight have had it drilled into their head since essentially birth that being overweight is disgusting, undesirable and makes you less human. They are 100% fully aware of calories in vs calories out and of the health consequences of being overweight, so judgement or shame will not help them in any reality. I think physicians should take pragmatic approaches that are likely to actually help their patients, instead of what feels right to their personal biases. I don't have the literature right in front of me, but it seems that positive reinforcement is almost always a better option for long term change than judgement and punishment.

It reminds me of this one time when I was a ER scribe and we had a hispanic pediatric patient who came in with their caregiver still wearing their fast food worker uniform for GI issues and the doctor went on a 10 minute rant shaming the parent for not feeding their kids high quality food from Whole Foods like he does. It was incredibly condescending and I just wanted to melt right into the wall.

Also some of these posts make me worried about starting medical school next semester as a low income and slightly overweight person...

What always gets me on these discussions about stigmatized health conditions is like, even if weight/substance abuse/poverty was 100% under the control of personal choices - would shame ever motivate anyone to change their behavior? I'm sure everyone here has had someone in their life judge their lifestyle, and did it ever make you want to change or did it just make you angry and defensive?

People who are overweight have had it drilled into their head since essentially birth that being overweight is disgusting, undesirable and makes you less human. They are 100% fully aware of calories in vs calories out and of the health consequences of being overweight, so judgement or shame will not help them in any reality. I think physicians should take pragmatic approaches that are likely to actually help their patients, instead of what feels right to their personal biases. I don't have the literature right in front of me, but it seems that positive reinforcement is almost always a better option for long term change than judgement and punishment.

It reminds me of this one time when I was a ER scribe and we had a hispanic pediatric patient who came in with their caregiver still wearing their fast food worker uniform for GI issues and the doctor went on a 10 minute rant shaming the parent for not feeding their kids high quality food from Whole Foods like he does. It was incredibly condescending and I just wanted to melt right into the wall.

Also some of these posts make me worried about starting medical school next semester as a low income and slightly overweight person...

High quality food from Whole Foods?!?! I hope you are exaggerating ...otherwise thats shameful. Those that shop at places like whole foods exclusively are just dumb... literally hemorrhaging money

High quality food from Whole Foods?!?! I hope you are exaggerating ...otherwise thats shameful. Those that shop at places like whole foods exclusively are just dumb... literally hemorrhaging money

For a grocery store their sushi is pretty good! Not quite as good as going to the Japanese supermarket, but driving there and finding parking is soooo not worth it.

i agree with you on this one. THe best balance between quality and price i actually found in ALDI (Norfolk, if it matters).

Guess I’m dumb.
i would LOVE to shop there, but i cant afford it... I shop at ALDI and food lion. I do buy organic stuff there most of the time, and read labels, etc, but this is all i can afford. My grocery budget is about 70 bucks for 2 weeks and aldi allows me to comply.

Lol he literally did say Whole Foods by name. I was dying.

i would LOVE to shop there, but i cant afford it... I shop at ALDI and food lion. I do buy organic stuff there most of the time, and read labels, etc, but this is all i can afford. My grocery budget is about 70 bucks for 2 weeks and aldi allows me to comply.

We used to shop at LIDL. It’s like ALDI but looks like an actual grocery store and not like someone’s messy closet. We moved and there is a Whole Foods right around the corner so that’s where we go.

• Haha
We used to shop at LIDL. It’s like ALDI but looks like an actual grocery store and not like someone’s messy closet. We moved and there is a Whole Foods right around the corner so that’s where we go.
messy closet... hahahha... oh my god this is so true.
yeah, here in norfolk, ALDI is super close to school, and food lion. So it is so convenient. Plus i am vegan, and ALDI is super vegan friendly - their stuff is very clearly labeled for vegans, and they have stuff i cannot easily find elsewhere - good cookies, for example, a variety of yummy breads, etc. Honestly, this is, in my opinion, number 1 vegan store in Norfolk. And i love their coffee!!!! it is only 4.95 a huge tin bin, and i love it (probably from my military time... hahahaha. I love very dark bitter blends).

Lol it’s true. It looks like someone just went around the store tossing stuff on the shelves wherever they saw an empty spot. Also you don’t need a quarter to get a card at lidl.
actually they canceled the whole quarter thing because of corona virus. Now there is even an employee who stands upfront and disinfects the carts after each use. Very classy.
I think they also vary by location, - the one in Ghent (which is probably the most expensive neighborhood in Norfolk), is very nice. But if you drive to other stores (10-13 min from downtown), they look like a hot mess.

I haven’t read this entire thread, but has this study come up yet?

To summarize, folks exercising the same amount and eating the same number of calories weigh more now than people in decades prior, suggesting another factor involved. In addition, research generally suggests an interplay between genetic, environmental, and epigenetic factors when considering weight & metabolism.

I’ve worked with a client (in my psychotherapy practice) who is terrified to go to a medical doctor for anything out of fear of being lectured and talked down to for being overweight and experiencing this in the past. This seems to be common in PCP practice. This client also (per report) eats organic food in reasonable portions and does not snack on junk food, but despite this is not losing weight.

As some of you mentioned, shaming people will not only NOT have the intended effect of encouraging healthier behaviors, but will be far more likely to result in increased self-loathing and unhealthy behaviors. I don’t know anyone offhand I can think of who really benefited from a person of authority shaming them. The reasons for turning to food for stress reduction are often closely tied to emotional concerns, which may take a lot of time to sort through. Combine that with factors like our body producing more hunger hormone when we don’t sleep enough, highly processed food being the most convenient/cheap, living in a work-obsessed culture that doesn’t value work-life balance, etc. and I can understand why obesity is increasing—there is more than meets the eye to the obesity issue.

I haven’t read this entire thread, but has this study come up yet?

To summarize, folks exercising the same amount and eating the same number of calories weigh more now than people in decades prior, suggesting another factor involved. In addition, research generally suggests an interplay between genetic, environmental, and epigenetic factors when considering weight & metabolism.

I’ve worked with a client (in my psychotherapy practice) who is terrified to go to a medical doctor for anything out of fear of being lectured and talked down to for being overweight and experiencing this in the past. This seems to be common in PCP practice. This client also (per report) eats organic food in reasonable portions and does not snack on junk food, but despite this is not losing weight.

As some of you mentioned, shaming people will not only NOT have the intended effect of encouraging healthier behaviors, but will be far more likely to result in increased self-loathing and unhealthy behaviors. I don’t know anyone offhand I can think of who really benefited from a person of authority shaming them. The reasons for turning to food are often closely tied to emotional concerns, which may take a lot of time to sort through. Combine that with factors like our body producing more hunger hormone when we don’t sleep enough, highly processed food being the most convenient/cheap, living in a work-obsessed culture that doesn’t value work-life balance, etc. and I can understand why obesity is increasing—there is more than meets the eye to the obesity issue.
that is true... One thing i loved about my old doctor is that she never ONCE told me i needed to loose weight (even though i definitely needed to, considering i was pushing 190 pounds at 5'7). Instead she said we needed to lower my BP and cholesterol, and she actually focused on REDUCING MY STRESS. the first question she asked was if i was stressed out (i was prepping for MCAT, and my brother died). how insightful is that!!! instead of lecturing me on weight she asked about my well-being, and suggested meditation, and a few other things.

It's all preference. There's a Whole Foods literally a 2 minute walk from me. I walk out of my house and turn right, it's the next block over. I have been there once in the past 2 years. Too expensive and too pretentious, even on attending salary.

It's all preference. There's a Whole Foods literally a 2 minute walk from me. I walk out of my house and turn right, it's the next block over. I have been there once in the past 2 years. Too expensive and too pretentious, even on attending salary.

You mean people can have different preferences? Gosh why didn’t I think of that? I wasn’t the one calling people who shop at Whole Foods dumb.

You mean people can have different preferences? Gosh why didn’t I think of that? I wasn’t the one calling people who shop at Whole Foods dumb.

That was a bit snarkier than it needed to be. I wasn't criticizing you.

That was a bit snarkier than it needed to be. I wasn't criticizing you.

Sorry for the snark. I just find it interesting that you didn’t speak up about preferences when someone was calling people who shop at WF dumb. But I’m not offended or anything.

It is a lot more expensive than lidl and aldi. But I like the Whole Foods here. They have a lot of stuff my kids like that you can’t find at those other places and we get delivery from prime now.

But I totally get why some people don’t want to shop there.