Do you know anyone that dropped or failed out of med school? What are they doing now?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DesertDude

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Curious because I'm in the same position. Wonder what other drop outs do. Tbh I wish SDN had a forum for drop outs lol.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Only people I know who didn't end up going into clinical medicine were in combined programs MD/PhD MD/MBA MD/MPH and ended up going into the field that their "secondary" degree was in.

There's a recent thread on this in this forum with lots of responses if you do a quick search!

Members don't see this ad :)
Anytime I see a thread like this I get so anxious.

Reactions: 12 users
Student of ours who was dismissed tried to get into the Caribbean and the last I heard of him, he was driving for UPS.

EDIT: I looked up another one and he's adjunct teaching at a local college!

Last edited:
Reactions: 11 users
Student of ours who is dismissed tried to get into the Caribbean and the last I heard of him, he was driving for UPS.
academic or other reasons.

Anytime I see a thread like this I get so anxious.

Why? Because you're pretty much dropping into the real world without any real job experience or money to pay for rent?

academic or other reasons.

Other reasons. Was losing my mind studying all day every day, being isolated, not having time for hobbies, while most people around me were doing better and having social lives. Realized I didn't have the doctoral "brain" and dropped out.

Reactions: 1 users
Why? Because you're pretty much dropping into the real world without any real job experience or money to pay for rent?

Other reasons. Was losing my mind studying all day every day, being isolated, not having time for hobbies, while most people around me were doing better and having social lives. Realized I didn't have the doctoral "brain" and dropped out.
this was an american school? MD? DO? Sorry to hear about that. I was asking @Goro about his student.

If you have a master's you can leverage that into healthcare administration etc. If not think about what you want to do , what brings you joy, reach out to friends and who are working and see if they have openings at the organizations they work at. Honestly you really just need an in at a company and you can find a position that you probably enjoy or atleast pays the bills. There is a website called drop outclub but I think this is for people who are further along in their medical education.

this was an american school? MD? DO? Sorry to hear about that. I was asking @Goro about his student.

If you have a master's you can leverage that into healthcare administration etc. If not think about what you want to do , what brings you joy, reach out to friends and who are working and see if they have openings at the organizations they work at. Honestly you really just need an in at a company and you can find a position that you probably enjoy or atleast pays the bills. There is a website called drop outclub but I think this is for people who are further along in their medical education.

A US medical school.

I'm still trying to decide on what to do. Was wondering what other people's experiences were

i think this is just people who completed the degree and want to leave clinical duties.

I actually checked that out before you mentioned it. It is indeed for established MD's.

Academics plus poor choice making.

Harsh, but real. Hey at least I didn't have to repeat classes lol..

Members don't see this ad :)
The world is your oyster. Maybe hit up your university to see if they have any career counseling.

What is a doctoral "brain"?

NP if you still want to practice medicine...

Tbh I'm a little sick of medicine and the student life at this point. I'm down for maybe more year of school, but this was my hoorah. I just want to work and make a living now. I'm tired of being in debt.

Allied health professions???

I'm looking around.

What is a doctoral "brain"?

Being able to memorize and retain vast amounts of information and apply them at will.

Computer science is a solid field that is in demand with a lot of flexibility. Many different paths to take within it. Good way to make $100k+ living in attractive cities like Seattle, San Jose, Boulder or DC.

One of my friends got accepted into medical school and decided it wasn't for her, decided to take some coding bootcamp courses instead and go into the field that way. I had another friend who was pre-med, took the mcat, but just couldn't go through with it (his dad was a surgeon and wasn't home much, saw the toll it took). Now he's taking formal undergrad classes in CS.

Last edited:
^ Agreed with the above. The tech world is only growing and the great part is if you don't want to go back to school, there are plenty of "coding bootcamps" or other tech related training sessions. They're usually only a few months long to a year max, and once your done a lot of them guarantee a competitive paying job right after. Of course, you'll have to figure out if it's for you, so there are some free websites that let you code for fun to see if you like it.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Computer science is a solid field that is in demand with a lot of flexibility. Many different paths to take within it. Good way to make $100k+ living in attractive cities like Seattle, San Jose, Boulder or DC.

One of my friends got accepted into medical school and decided it wasn't for her, decided to take some coding bootcamp courses instead and go into the field that way. I had another friend who was pre-med, took the mcat, but just couldn't go through with it (his dad was a surgeon and wasn't home much, saw the toll it took). Now he's taking formal undergrad classes in CS.

I think I'll stick in the bio field. You can really get into CS by just taking a bootcamp? I thought you needed an undergrad degree.

I think I'll stick in the bio field. You can really get into CS by just taking a bootcamp? I thought you needed an undergrad degree.

You can. One of my friends dropped out of undergrad altogether and is a freelance coder now. It's more important what you know and can do than a formal education, but a formal undergraduate education may make things easier for you.

If you are interested in staying in something related to biology, you can look into becoming a pharmaceutical representative. You need to study for the CNPR certification to make your way into the field. It's another good career and requires a 4 year bachelor's degree which you have.

I always admire people who have the insight and the courage to pull the ripcord in medical school when they realize this isn’t the path for them. I love what I do and feel fortunate to do it, but I know a lot of docs who are not and it only gets harder t leave the further down the rabbit hole you go.

I’ll add a vote for pharma rep and add medical device rep as well. I don’t know the ins and outs of landing these jobs but the reps I work with all seem to enjoy their work and live pretty comfortably. The jobs are probably very hard to get but may be doable and your having a bit of background medical knowledge may be a plus.

There also seem to be a lot of jobs surrounding various EMRs, both for the company itself as well as other companies that subcontract people to help clients implement and troubleshoot their software.

Reactions: 7 users
One of my friends failed his first year of medical school, applied for PA school after two years out, and now is in his second year of PA school.

I had another friend, who dropped out after his first semester of medical school after realizing it wasn't for him. He then applied for pharmacy school and is almost done.

Reactions: 3 users
One of my friends failed his first year of medical school, applied for PA school after two years out, and now is in his second year of PA school.

I had another friend, who dropped out after his first semester of medical school after realizing it wasn't for him. He then applied for pharmacy school and is almost done.
I was told getting thru PA school is more difficult than med school... Maybe it's subjective though!

That is really strange. How different can the first year of medical school be from the first year of pharmacy school? I can't understand the thought process that would lead someone to quit medical school due to the nature of preclinicals and then decide that pharmacy is the way to go. It's like taking a bite of a crap sandwich and deciding to throw it away only to pick up another crap sandwich and lustily dig in, despite the fact the first sandwich guaranteed you far better financial and job security.

Reactions: 4 users
That is really strange. How different can the first year of medical school be from the first year of pharmacy school? I can't understand the thought process that would lead someone to quit medical school due to the nature of preclinicals and then decide that pharmacy is the way to go. It's like taking a bite of a crap sandwich and deciding to throw it away only to pick up another crap sandwich and lustily dig in, despite the fact the first sandwich guaranteed you far better financial and job security.
Maybe that person did not like the hyper competitiveness of med students. Let's face it! A lot of us are weirdos whether we realize it or not.

Last edited:
Reactions: 5 users

I know he really hated anatomy and the high stress from his classmates. He took a break after dropping out med school and tried teaching middle school for a few years and then realized he didn't like that either. Not sure why he decided on pharmacy school after that, but so far he's happy with it.

I know he really hated anatomy and the high stress from his classmates. He took a break after dropping out med school and tried teaching middle school for a few years and then realized he didn't like that either. Not sure why he decided on pharmacy school after that, but so far he's happy with it.
Pharmacists are definitely a chill bunch.

I was told getting thru PA school is more difficult than med school... Maybe it's subjective though!

I heard it was tough as well. He's not doing the best in PA school, but staying afloat during his didactic year.

There also seem to be a lot of jobs surrounding various EMRs, both for the company itself as well as other companies that subcontract people to help clients implement and troubleshoot their software.
If you have any interest in software, I’d go this route over sales. The money is probably similar, and the jobs tend to be much more flexible and offer a better lifestyle. Some of them you can even do partially from home, and with 9-5 hours.

I don’t know about pharmaceutical sales, but device reps tend to be on the road at all hours, and have to work around surgeons’ hours and whims. I’ve seen plenty show up in the OR at 6am, stand there for hours, and then have the surgeon choose to implant a device from someone else. And they may have to run around to several other hospitals that day, and stand around for other cases that get bumped, delayed, or canceled. They can make great money and some really love what they do, but it’s intense, long hours, and high stress for many of them.

If you’re not up for PA school or more than another year or so of education, I’d look into software/EMR jobs or sone sort of healthcare administration.

I know someone who dropped out of med school that switched to anesthesia assistant. It is like a CRNA but requirements were more like a PA. He graduates in May but already has job offers making $120,000+ a year.

Reactions: 12 users
Curious because I'm in the same position. Wonder what other drop outs do. Tbh I wish SDN had a forum for drop outs lol.

My one buddy that dropped out 4th year owns his own company. He seems happy, but it ain’t exactly fulfilling or mentally challenging.
One college friend that took the MCAT with me and postponed applying “one more year” is the CEO of a multi billion dollar tech company. He chose wisely. Their annual shareholder report indicates he still has a significant ownership share and got a $15m bonus last year. Not too shabby.

--
Il Destriero

Last edited:
Reactions: 10 users
There is a huge demand for pilots right now. Double down, do an accelerated ATP commercial + instructor gig, then start flying.

I heard the same thing. PA is supposed to be really tough. I commonly see people recommending PA to drop outs and I'm like, why?

Well I hear that pharmacy school cuts some corners in terms of the depth of knowledge they get into for the same classes they take as us. And their anatomy isn't as detailed. Plus they don't have as many "bottlenecks" like in med school where you can be kicked out if you don't meet standards (such as standardized tests and the like).

I know someone who dropped out of med school that switched to anesthesia assistant. It is like a CRNA but requirements were more like a PA. He graduates in May but already has job offers making $120,000+ a year.

Is AA school just as tough as medical school? How difficult is it to get in? I've heard of people talking about AA but I'm not sure how the training and schooling is like.

My one buddy that dropped out 4th year owns his own company. He seems happy, but it ain’t exactly fulfilling or mentally challenging.
One college friend that took the MCAT with me and postponed applying “one more year” is the CEO of a multi billion dollar tech company. He chose wisely. Their annual shareholder report indicates he still has a significant ownership share and got a $15m bonus last year. Not too shabby.

--
Il Destriero

That is so insane. SDN should have him do a piece on his story. Honestly that would probably make the news in the small city I came from.

I know three residents in highly competitive surgical subspecialties who were dismissed. It's really a shame, they were all incredibly smart people who made bad decisions, and are now doing pretty crappy hospital gigs.
Why were they dismissed?

Notice how this guy makes these posts right after signing up for the site
Troll meter at 100%

Who would be that pathetic to troll on sdn? It's a professional website for students and physicians.

And get a hold of yourself.

Hey Op, i left podiatry school , spent about 16 weeks and 12 k in a software camp and am making a little over 100 k in software. Im on the lower end for the bay area. Some of my friends are in the 150 k range after just a year or so of experience at google, airbnb, and disney.

The job is a little boring since its at a desk but after 5 years you can go remote and literally work in your pajamas at home.

Sdn will tell you differently but medical school is not the end of your career. For some people it may be the very beginning of a debt free- positive wealth trajectory. If you dont become a doctor youre not necessarily destined to become a ups driver. There are many health and non health care careers out there for you, dont lose hope! Just remember though, hard work is needed to be successful anywhere. With the exception of a few people (cough small loan of a million dollars cough) hard work is what got them to be successful/wealthy

Hey Op, i left podiatry school , spent about 16 weeks and 12 k in a software camp and am making a little over 100 k in software. Im on the lower end for the bay area. Some of my friends are in the 150 k range after just a year or so of experience at google, airbnb, and disney.

The job is a little boring since its at a desk but after 5 years you can go remote and literally work in your pajamas at home.

Sdn will tell you differently but medical school is not the end of your career. For some people it may be the very beginning of a debt free- positive wealth trajectory. If you dont become a doctor youre not necessarily destined to become a ups driver. There are many health and non health care careers out there for you, dont lose hope! Just remember though, hard work is needed to be successful anywhere. With the exception of a few people (cough small loan of a million dollars cough) hard work is what got them to be successful/wealthy

With that salary, you will likely be able to save a million dollars over the years and invest it- but I bet you will never be POTUS.

Reactions: 5 users

Ask anyone who has done both. They will all say that medical school is much harder and these are people who went through PA school and had work experience as a PA before doing medical school so they start with a strong background. A common thing they say is "I didn't know how much I didn't know".

Reactions: 10 users
As an aside, I see the racist poster in this thread got banned. Kudos to the mods. Satisfying smack, that Banhammer makes.
Yeah, pepes are not racist if you are implying that. Surely he got banned for a racist post elsewhere on this site, because I see nothing wrong with his post on this thread.

One person is a camp counselor/tour guide and the other I have no idea. The camp counselor had a nervous breakdown due to med school pressures and appears to be much much happier in this job.

Actually just started a thread on this topic from a post that I wrote that will be featured on KevinMD in the next couple of weeks.

This is a tough and very personal topic. I talk a friend of mine who got kicked out of medical school and how it consumed him in the post I published today (Physician, Know Thyself: A Self-Identity Crisis - The Physician Philosopher)

It's worth the read.

TPP

Reactions: 4 users