Do you skip the writing portion during practice?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Deepa100

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,
I always do the writing portion when I take online tests because I feel that MCAT is an endurance test and it is important to develop the stamina for it. I am still getting tired by the end of the test so I keep doing the writing section in the hope that I will develop the energy for 5.5 hrs. eventually.

I am curious to know how many of you do the writing sample during practice tests.

Members don't see this ad.

I skip it every single time. For the writing portion I just read a few sample essays for 45 minutes the day before. I'm a decent writer and was kind of sad that I only got a Q.

I always skipped the writing portion (really just a waste of my brain power). But, I agree it's important to build up stamina. What I did was to practice using the old full-length paper tests, doing all the sections minus verbal. That way, you are used to a longer session than you will have to endure (which helped the test seem like a breeze on the actual test day), and it has the additional advantage of letting you practice on more questions, which is always useful.

I did a few practice essays...but soon realized that I am atleast half-way decent at coming up with a good example, counter-example, and criteria for a given topic, my grammar/sentence structure is solid....so basically I haven't practiced since. I don't think it will hurt...but I'll find out in 3 days!!!!

Members don't see this ad :)
I never completed a single essay sample; I just wrote the first part for three of them, then got bored and did something else. I still got a R on the real thing. This section is fracking easy. Just follow the instructions and make your points clear.

I'd definitely go through a few of them before you take the test. I never did them when taking AMCAS test, but I kind of tested them out a week before taking the MCAT and was glad that I did (it's also a timing thing....I'm a slow writer). Here's some easy tips. I scored at T btw, and they definitely work.

(1) Write three paragraphs of relatively equal length (important). 1st paragraph: What the statement means. Second paragraph: when the statement doesn't apply. Third paragraph: How can we reconcile this disparity... basically bullsh*t discussion.
(2) Use specific examples to illustrate points...they don't have to be good...or well supported. Just examples.
(3) Making NO grammar or spelling mistakes. If you're unsure on how to spell something....just don't use that word.
(4) Use mature language, but not flowery or overly complicated. Make it simple, readable, and organized.

I never skipped them from fear of inflating the number of questions I got right on B.S. You probably want to mimic test conditions as much as possible when you take your FL.

I wrote out my first essay. Ever since then, I've just read the prompt and made an outline on what I'd write in paragraphs 1, 2, and 3.
However, my last MCAT practice exam this Sunday will be 5 days before my real exam (Sept. 4th) so on that day I will pretty much do everything from start to finish.

Most of the time I don't, though I've noticed when I do write them, my overall score is actually higher during practice??? Anyway, sometimes I'll just write an outline quick.

Since I haven't written much since high school, I practiced both essays on each practice exam (9 practice exams for a total of 18 practice essays). It definitely built up my confidence.

On a side note, how did this year-plus old thread get started up as if the original poster posted this yesterday?!?!?!:confused:

lol, didn't realize it was that old.
It's MDeast's fault.

I've done them on every practice MCAT minus the one I'm doing now(5 minutes left in the break) and the last one. I should have realized not to waste my time with them after doing a few, they all follow the same basic instructions and that's what you're tested on, following instructions. Once you understand that and you think you can handle it I'd say it's not necessary to practice anymore.

I write very well so I didn't practice writing AT ALL!! I loked up sample essays and the grading criteria literally an hour b4 my MCAT and I had an "S" even though I didn't finish the first essay.

The key is you have to specially address the prompt and adequately develop and support your thoughts, within 30 minutes.

Goodluck

I don't actually "write" anything, but I'll sit there and think of examples to use for the prompt, and run through my head how I would organize my arguments. Maybe 5 minutes for both essays, and move on. It's basically an exercise in seeing how quickly you can come up with good examples/arguments, they don't care about how flowery & beautifully you write.

lolol I didn't even look at the date, normally I avoid these ridiculously bumped threads.

LOL, well someone browsing the forums may find this helpful.

lolol I didn't even look at the date, normally I avoid these ridiculously bumped threads.

I'm not trying to be mean or obnoxious, but I'm really curious as to how mdeast came upon this thread and how he/she decided to give help to the original poster?!?! Did he/she go through the forum that far or what it by using the Search function?? Either way, I'm still confused

I bought the official AAMC guide and read the samples. According to AAMC, a few grammar and spelling errors don't count against your score. Due to the time limit, they expect a few errors. Good news, huh?

Also, I use the search function quite a bit, and I've bumped a few ancient threads. Seems like some people get fussy if you bump old threads, and some fuss if you start new ones. Lol