Do you support water fluoridation?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Do you beleive that fluoride should be added to our tap water

• No.

Votes: 19 22.1%
  • Yes.

Votes: 67 77.9%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
My god...

How about you provide a direct link to a single article in a world-renowned journal (Science, Nature, whatever the top dental research journals are, etc) that argues a net negative to water fluoridation?

Oh wait, that doesn't exist because all of your sources are... Well, we'll spare them a skewering at the moment.

Members don't see this ad.

again that has little to nothing to do with what I was saying, please make sure you read before posting something about what i've written.

My point was that if something is "no-name" (as in not a huge economic engine) that doesn't mean that it isn't credible.

Ex: if a person graduates from Harvard, it doesn't automatically make them a way better dentist than some who graduated from NOVA, just because Harvard has the most prestigious name.

get it?

Yes it does mean they are not credible. In this case they are inexcusably biased, they cite papers in ridiculous journals that are in such journals because their methods are crap, and they tend to even misinterpret that data to boot.

I'm sorry that you feel your "vewy speshul fwend" FA.com is under attack.... but they deserve to be and they constitute the bulk of your argument here.....

I've got a 4 hour incubation coming up where I will have time to dissect the "research" against fluoride.

Also... "root of the problem".... not route.... just sayin

Members don't see this ad :)
what I have highlighted is a very wise statement. You have touched upon the route of the problem... fluoride should be removed and we should focus on the diet... please stop undermining the research against fluoride, all that you are doing is making it more and more clear that you haven’t reviewed the research for yourself. I have provided the site www.fluoridealert.com because its much easier than listing tons and tons of different studies.

Now, as it stands research has been provided against fluoride but none has been provided for fluoride. The list of arrogant claims has also grown, please stop this as it is not congruent with the educated and professional environment of dentistry.

cheers

:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

OMG! I just realized something..... this guy intended to link to fa.ORG. The .com site has been bought by the ADA and routes to a pro fluoride site. This is just awesome. Know thy self, mouthlover... know thy self ;)

My god...

How about you provide a direct link to a single article in a world-renowned journal (Science, Nature, whatever the top dental research journals are, etc) that argues a net negative to water fluoridation?

Oh wait, that doesn't exist because all of your sources are... Well, we'll spare them a skewering at the moment.

If you think they don't exist:laugh: ... This afternoon I'll pop some out ;) ... Journals like Journal of public health dentistry, Federal-provincial subcommittee reports, journal of Dental research, journal of dental medicine, Journal of Applied Clinical Pediatrics, Chinese journal of public health management, Chinese journal of pathology, chinese primary health care, Indian journal of experimental biology, European journal of pharmacology, national academies press Washington dc, US department of health and human services, Many research papers from reputable universities across the globe (Stanford for instance), also including people like the head of preventative dentistry at the university of Toronto. I'll share them when I have time later ;)

Obviously you haven't even looked into fluoride

:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

OMG! I just realized something..... this guy intended to link to fa.ORG. The .com site has been bought by the ADA and routes to a pro fluoride site. This is just awesome. Know thy self, mouthlover... know thy self ;)

Lol yes I've already commented about this

Last edited:
Ok, so many of my earlier posts were pretty flippant and "not too srs" because I was hoping to light-heartedly point out a few absurdities in the arguments and just hope you would see the errors of your ways. But no, you are pretty dead set on this so here we go. Lets take a critical look at www.fluoridealert.co-errr..... .org ;)

First section:Why we are opposed to Water Fluoridation
10 reasons to oppose fluoridation:
Fluoridation is a violation of the individual's right to informed consent to medication.
This is debatable. It is common and public knowledge where fluoride is being used to treat water. However this may be the most valid claim this site has to offer.... lets continue....

Fluoride is not an essential nutrient. No biological process in animals or humans has been shown to depend on it. On the contrary, it is known that fluoride can interfere with many important biological processes and vital cellular constituents, such as enzymes and G-proteins. This makes fluoride potentially toxic even at low doses.
Gotta love the completely unsubstantiated and unsupported claims and the liberal use of the word "potentially". You can screw with cellular machinery with all sorts of things. Did you know that proteins can alter cellular function? Better cut protein from our diets too! :prof: This may sound like an argument against, but it really isnt. It just sounds good on paper but the reasoning doesnt hold up to any scrutiny.

Children in fluoridated countries are greatly over-exposed to fluoride. When fluoridation began in 1940s, 10% of children were expected to develop dental fluorosis (damage to the enamel involving discoloration and/or mottling) in its very mild form. Today, the prevalence in fluoridated countries is much higher—41% of all American children aged 12-15 are now impacted with some form of dental fluorosis (CDC, 2010), with over 10% in categories (mild, moderate and severe) that may need expensive treatment.
Oh come now.... even wiki knows enough to include citations and links when making a claim. This is a classic case of presentation bias (I may have just made that term up.... but bear with me...). They are not overtly lying, but....
db53_fig3.gif

In the paper they cite the overall conclusions are not what they imply. It is unfortunate that I couldnt find stats or significance values to go along with this.... that would have been interesting as many of these values are pretty close to begin with. Either way, it is inappropriate to list only an increase such as this and not weigh it against the benefit. Nearly every effective treatment comes with some risk, so nearly every effective treatment comes with a cost/benefit analysis. This goes back to point 1 (the only valid one they make) that the consumer should be able to decide if they receive a treatment.... if only there were non-municipal sources of hydration :idea: you can call it biased if you wish, but if the community decides as a group to fluoridate for the greater good, there is really no cause for objection - it isnt like you either drink fluorine or die of dehydration. And it was mentioned earlier that every dollar spent on this "treatment" saves $38 in dental costs, can we get a link to that? I think this is what really demolishes this argument. anyways...

The chemicals used to fluoridate water supplies are largely hazardous by-products of the fertilizer industry. These chemicals cannot be disposed of into the sea by international law, and have never been required to undergo randomized clinical trials for safety or effectiveness by any regulatory agency in the world. The U.S. FDA classifies fluoride as an "unapproved drug."
I love this argument. People look at a source or origin of a substance and immediately judge it. the words "by-products" are thrown about as if they mean something. They dont. I think you would be surprised at the extend of industrial recycling and how many "by-products" are used in other processes which end up going out to the consumer. Just because it is a byproduct doesnt make it dangerous. Pulp is a by-product of making orange juice (especially the pulp-free kind.... ;)). Better watch out for that stuff! pretty sure it gives you cancer-AIDS :prof:

also, being classified as an "unapproved drug" (whether or not this is actually true for fluoride) doesnt mean it is dangerous. It just means the FDA hasnt approved it. This is what the FDA actually has to say (note: does showing an instance where your site is just blatantly falsifying information hurt their credibility?)
http://www.fda.gov/Food/LabelingNutrition/LabelClaims/FDAModernizationActFDAMAClaims/ucm073602.htm

Recommendation for Using Fluoride to Prevent and Control Dental Caries in the U.S. (Centers for Disease Control, 2001):

"Widespread use of fluoride has been a major factor in the decline in the prevalence and severity of dental caries (i.e., tooth decay) in the United States and other economically developed countries. When used appropriately, fluoride is both safe and effective in preventing and controlling dental caries. All U.S. residents are likely exposed to some degree of fluoride, which is available from multiple sources." (Summary section, page 1)
"Continue and extend fluoridation of community drinking water: Community water fluoridation is a safe, effective, and inexpensive way to prevent dental caries. This modality benefits persons in all age groups and of all SES, ...." (Recommendation section, page 24)
Oral Health in America: A Report of the Surgeon General (2000):

"Community water fluoridation is safe and effective in preventing dental caries in both children and adults. Water fluoridation benefits all residents served by community water supplies regardless of their social or economic status. Professional and individual measures, including the use of fluoride mouth rinses, gels, dentifrices, and dietary supplements and the application of dental sealants, are additional means of preventing dental caries." (Executive summary)
Review of Fluoride: Benefits and Risks (Public Health Service, 1991):

"Extensive studies over the past 50 years have established that individuals whose drinking water is fluoridated show a reduction in dental caries. Although the comparative degree of measurable benefit has been reduced recently as other fluoride sources have become available in non-fluoride areas, the benefits of water fluoridation are still clearly evident." (Conclusions section, page 87)
so.... yeah citing the FDA is not in the best interest of FA.org......

There is mounting evidence that swallowing fluoride causes harm. Fluoride has been found to damage soft tissues (brain, kidneys, and endocrine system), as well as teeth (dental fluorosis) and bones (skeletal fluorosis). There are now 24 studies that show a relationship between fairly modest exposure to fluoride and reduced IQ in children. Two of these studies suggest that the threshold for damage may be reached at fluoride levels similar to those used in water fluoridation.
The only thing worth saying here is 1) if there is evidence please provide it instead of just repeating the mantra "there is evidence" 2) saying "there is mounting evidence" is just a fancy way of saying "little to no evidence, but we are working on it..."

Swallowing fluoride provides little or no benefit to the teeth. Even promoters of fluoridation agree that fluoride works topically (on the outer surface of the teeth), and not via some internal biological mechanism (CDC, 1999). A recent U.S. study found no relationship between the amount of fluoride a child ingested and level of tooth decay (Warren et al., 2009). Topical treatment in the form of fluoridated toothpaste is universally available, so it is a mistake to swallow fluoride and expose all the tissues of the body to its harmful effects.
It was just simply never proposed that fluoride was meant to be a systemic drug. They make this claim several times but it is a straw man argument. Nobody ever said fluoride's efficacy was due to ingestion and was always touted as a topical treatment.

We have more logical fallacies in this one: you will not expose "all the tissues of the body" via ingestion and "harmful effects" have yet to be established in vivo. It isnt appropriate to inject massive quantities of a substance into a lab rat and apply the findings down to the IRL levels. Its also not appropriate to bathe cells in high concentrations of something and freak out when the cells die. if that were kosher then I've personally cured cancer because I know for a fact that I can kill those little buggers in a dish with no problem

Human breast milk is very low in fluoride. Breast milk averages only 0.007 ppm F (NRC, 2006). Even in areas with high fluoride levels, nursing children receive only a small fraction of the mother's fluoride intake, ensuring that the sensitive brains and bodies of breast-fed infants are protected from the developmental effects of this toxin. In contrast, a bottle-fed baby in a fluoridated area (0.7-1.2 ppm F) gets up to 200 times more fluoride than a breast-fed baby, resulting in an increased risk of dental fluorosis and other adverse effects.
Who the EFF cares? The only way that this would make a valid argument is if you are suggesting we lace water with breast milk. Dont be so silly

The fallacies here: 1) the fact that a substance is withheld from breast milk is evidence that it is toxic - this is just simply not true. It hurts my brain a little to even attempt to find a rationalization for this logic. Its just bad
2) again they cite the unsubstantiated claims of harm in regards to bottle fed babies. If this were at all true, show it! Dont just constantly refer back to your previous unsubstantiated claims. This is circular logic and is therefore faulty

Once fluoride is added to water, there is no way to control who gets the drug or how much is ingested. No medical follow-up or monitoring of fluoride levels in citizens' urine or bones is being carried-out by health agencies and so no record is being kept of adverse effects or daily or accumulated exposures.
This is basically just point 1 reiterated so..... ok :thumbup: also, they imply that IF such studies were conducted that they would obviously be shown to be correct in their assumptions. This is not a reasonable assumption. :prof:

Certain subgroups are particularly affected by fluoridation. People vary considerably in their sensitivity to any toxic substance, including fluoride. Infants, the elderly, diabetics, those with poor nutrition (e.g. low calcium and low iodine), and those with kidney disease are especially vulnerable to specific adverse effects of fluoride. Black and Mexican-Americans have a higher prevalence of the more severe forms of dental fluorosis (see Table 23, CDC, 2005).
The non-pre-dental people will need to speak up here..... this stinks of demographic bias to me. I doubt that fluoride in water is the sole contributor to "fluorosis" but of this I am not positive. However I would bet there are social factors that are not being well controlled here. The CDC is in the habit of simply reporting numbers, which is why it is dangerous when groups like this get a hold of them..... they take things out of context or apply meaning to numbers in a way that is inappropriate..

Fluoridation discriminates against those with low incomes. People on low incomes are least able to afford avoidance measures (reverse osmosis or bottled water), or treatment of dental fluorosis (see Point 3) and other fluoride-related ailments (see Point 5).
didn't they just say a few points ago how fluoridated toothpaste is readily available to all? given the scant evidence of its harm and the large body of evidence of its positive effects, I would say free fluoride in the water is a major plus to groups of people who cannot afford bottled water and, by extension, would also likely struggle to afford adequate dental hygiene in multiple forms.

I do hope, mouthlover, that this has been as educational for you as it has been for me :)

Last edited:
I think we can all see why you've chosen Harvard as you school ... do you have a harvard bumper sticker on your car? Are you one of those guys who wears "Harvard Dental Mecicine" hoodies everywhere you go?

I actually turned down Harvard for a "no-name" state school. Surprise. It's just a nice little trump card to be able to throw out there.

However, it's kind of hard to undermine my credentials when you apparently have none to speak of.

OMG! I just realized something..... this guy intended to link to fa.ORG. The .com site has been bought by the ADA and routes to a pro fluoride site.

You do realize this was the subject of my previous post, right?

Also, do you honestly think being "no-name" = worthless? or worth less? Just because something isn't an economic engine, it's worthless?

Do I believe that an independent, agenda-based organization founded in 2007 is "worthless" relative to the world-renowned research and authority figures of the time-tested institutions of the CDC, NIH, World Health Organization, and ADA? Considering that your little website hasn't offered a shred of credible evidence in opposition to the aforementioned institutions, then I have no problem saying that I do.

Do I believe that they are economic engines? This isn't healthcare; it's public health. There is no money in public health, save for the $38 to $1 cost-savings ratio of fluoridated water.

sorry bud but the USA does not represent the world

No, but the effect of fluoridated water on the oral health of the human race certainly isn't bound by socio-political demarcations.

Feel free to continue trolling with your blatant confirmation bias and fallacious premises, cupcake. I'm ashamed of myself for investing my time in this absurd debate.

Clearly I was poking fun at the OP for citing the wrong website. And I applaud the ADA for snagging that URL in opposition to those nut jobs at fluoridealert.org.

Found it :D
I was posting on my phone for most of yesterday so little posts can sometimes slip by me.

my bad.

If you think they don't exist:laugh: ... This afternoon I'll pop some out ;) ... Journals like Journal of public health dentistry, Federal-provincial subcommittee reports, journal of Dental research, journal of dental medicine, Journal of Applied Clinical Pediatrics, Chinese journal of public health management, Chinese journal of pathology, chinese primary health care, Indian journal of experimental biology, European journal of pharmacology, national academies press Washington dc, US department of health and human services, Many research papers from reputable universities across the globe (Stanford for instance), also including people like the head of preventative dentistry at the university of Toronto. I'll share them when I have time later ;)

Obviously you haven't even looked into fluoride
I'm very eager to see these papers.

Members don't see this ad :)
Ok, so many of my earlier posts were pretty flippant and "not too srs" because I was hoping to light-heartedly point out a few absurdities in the arguments and just hope you would see the errors of your ways. But no, you are pretty dead set on this so here we go. Lets take a critical look at www.fluoridealert.co-errr..... .org ;)

First section:Why we are opposed to Water Fluoridation
10 reasons to oppose fluoridation:

This is debatable. It is common and public knowledge where fluoride is being used to treat water. However this may be the most valid claim this site has to offer.... lets continue....

Gotta love the completely unsubstantiated and unsupported claims and the liberal use of the word "potentially". You can screw with cellular machinery with all sorts of things. Did you know that proteins can alter cellular function? Better cut protein from our diets too! :prof: This may sound like an argument against, but it really isnt. It just sounds good on paper but the reasoning doesnt hold up to any scrutiny.

Oh come now.... even wiki knows enough to include citations and links when making a claim. This is a classic case of presentation bias (I may have just made that term up.... but bear with me...). They are not overtly lying, but....
db53_fig3.gif

In the paper they cite the overall conclusions are not what they imply. It is unfortunate that I couldnt find stats or significance values to go along with this.... that would have been interesting as many of these values are pretty close to begin with. Either way, it is inappropriate to list only an increase such as this and not weigh it against the benefit. Nearly every effective treatment comes with some risk, so nearly every effective treatment comes with a cost/benefit analysis. This goes back to point 1 (the only valid one they make) that the consumer should be able to decide if they receive a treatment.... if only there were non-municipal sources of hydration :idea: you can call it biased if you wish, but if the community decides as a group to fluoridate for the greater good, there is really no cause for objection - it isnt like you either drink fluorine or die of dehydration. And it was mentioned earlier that every dollar spent on this "treatment" saves $38 in dental costs, can we get a link to that? I think this is what really demolishes this argument. anyways...

I love this argument. People look at a source or origin of a substance and immediately judge it. the words "by-products" are thrown about as if they mean something. They dont. I think you would be surprised at the extend of industrial recycling and how many "by-products" are used in other processes which end up going out to the consumer. Just because it is a byproduct doesnt make it dangerous. Pulp is a by-product of making orange juice (especially the pulp-free kind.... ). Better watch out for that stuff! pretty sure it gives you cancer-AIDS :prof:

also, being classified as an "unapproved drug" (whether or not this is actually true for fluoride) doesnt mean it is dangerous. It just means the FDA hasnt approved it. This is what the FDA actually has to say (note: does showing an instance where your site is just blatantly falsifying information hurt their credibility?)
http://www.fda.gov/Food/LabelingNutrition/LabelClaims/FDAModernizationActFDAMAClaims/ucm073602.htm

so.... yeah citing the FDA is not in the best interest of FA.org......

The only thing worth saying here is 1) if there is evidence please provide it instead of just repeating the mantra "there is evidence" 2) saying "there is mounting evidence" is just a fancy way of saying "little to no evidence, but we are working on it..."

It was just simply never proposed that fluoride was meant to be a systemic drug. They make this claim several times but it is a straw man argument. Nobody ever said fluoride's efficacy was due to ingestion and was always touted as a topical treatment.

We have more logical fallacies in this one: you will not expose "all the tissues of the body" via ingestion and "harmful effects" have yet to be established in vivo. It isnt appropriate to inject massive quantities of a substance into a lab rat and apply the findings down to the IRL levels. Its also not appropriate to bathe cells in high concentrations of something and freak out when the cells die. if that were kosher then I've personally cured cancer because I know for a fact that I can kill those little buggers in a dish with no problem

Who the EFF cares? The only way that this would make a valid argument is if you are suggesting we lace water with breast milk. Dont be so silly

The fallacies here: 1) the fact that a substance is withheld from breast milk is evidence that it is toxic - this is just simply not true. It hurts my brain a little to even attempt to find a rationalization for this logic. Its just bad
2) again they cite the unsubstantiated claims of harm in regards to bottle fed babies. If this were at all true, show it! Dont just constantly refer back to your previous unsubstantiated claims. This is circular logic and is therefore faulty

This is basically just point 1 reiterated so..... ok :thumbup: also, they imply that IF such studies were conducted that they would obviously be shown to be correct in their assumptions. This is not a reasonable assumption. :prof:

The non-pre-dental people will need to speak up here..... this stinks of demographic bias to me. I doubt that fluoride in water is the sole contributor to "fluorosis" but of this I am not positive. However I would bet there are social factors that are not being well controlled here. The CDC is in the habit of simply reporting numbers, which is why it is dangerous when groups like this get a hold of them..... they take things out of context or apply meaning to numbers in a way that is inappropriate..

didn't they just say a few points ago how fluoridated toothpaste is readily available to all? given the scant evidence of its harm and the large body of evidence of its positive effects, I would say free fluoride in the water is a major plus to groups of people who cannot afford bottled water and, by extension, would also likely struggle to afford adequate dental hygiene in multiple forms.

I do hope, mouthlover, that this has been as educational for you as it has been for me :)

I find myself constantly correcting your understanding of written passages... it is not my intent to be offensive but it may be possible that you have a reading disorder. Contrary to what you may believe, it is actually quite common. You may benefit from a psychoeducational test... honestly i'm not trying to be rude, it could potentially be very helpful

... i noticed you emphasized their use of the word by-product as they are trying to deem fluoride as something horrible because of that classification. I'll just let you know, that isn't the point. The point is that it costs factories thousands and thousands of dollars every year to dispose of these by-products... finding a way to have someone dispose of your wastes for you or even buy it from you is an excellent way of dealing with this problem. Considering the massive amount of money you would save it certainly wouldn't hurt to provide a little donation to those supporting this agreement ... seems to be the way most things work in America :p

anyways, thanks for your commentary. I appreciate that you atleast looked into it :)

Sorry guys I have a final exam tommorrow so I will source these journals and all after that....

in the mean time here is a lecture from Canada's leading expert on fluoride. The head of preventative dentistry at the University of Toronto Dr.Hardy Limeback

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1sRWgDff8zY[/YOUTUBE]

here is also a short letter from him ;)

Dr. Hardy Limeback, BSc, PhD, DDS
Associate Professor and Head, Preventive Dentistry
University of Toronto
Toronto, Ontario, M5G-1G6
Fax (416) 979-4936
Tel(416) 979-4929
E-mail:[email protected]
April, 2000

To whom it may concern:

Why I am now officially opposed to adding fluoride to drinking water

Since April of 1999, I have publicly decried the addition of fluoride, especially hydrofluosilicic acid, to drinking water for the purpose of preventing tooth decay. The following summarize my reasons.

New evidence for lack of effectiveness of fluoridation in modern times.

1. Modern studies (published in the 1980's 1990's) show dental decay rates are so low in North America that the effects of water fluoridation cannot be measured. Because of the low prevalence of dental decay, water fluoridation studies today must be carefully conducted to correct for mobility of subjects between fluoridated and non-fluoridated areas, access to fluoride from other sources, the lack of blinding and problems with the `halo' effect. Even when very large sample sizes are used to obtain statistically significant results, the benefit of water fluoridation is not a clinically relevant one (the number of tooth surfaces saved from dental decay per person is less than one half). Recent studies show that halting fluoridation will either result in only a marginal increase in dental decay which cannot be detected or no increase in dental decay at all.

2. The major reasons for the general decline of tooth decay worldwide, both in non-fluoridated and fluoridated areas, is the widespread use of fluoridated toothpaste, improved diets, and overall improved general and dental health (antibiotics, preservatives, hygiene etc).

3. There is now a better understanding of how fluoride prevents dental decay. What little benefit fluoridated water may still provide is derived primarily through topical means (after the teeth erupt and come in contact with fluorides in the oral cavity). Fluoride does not need to be swallowed to be effective. It is not an essential nutrient. Nor should it be considered a desirable `supplement' for children living in non-fluoridated areas. Fluoride ingestion delays tooth eruption and this may account for some of the differences seen in the past between fluoridated and non-fluoridated areas (i.e. dental decay is simply postponed). No fluoridation study has ever separated out the systemic effects of fluoride. Even if there were a systemic benefit from ingestion of fluoride, it would be miniscule and clinically irrelevant. The notion that systemic fluorides are needed in non-fluoridated areas is an outdated one that should be abandoned altogether.

New evidence for potential serious harm from long-term fluoride ingestion.

1. Hydrofluorosilicic acid is recovered from the smokestack scrubbers during the production of phosphate fertilizer and sold to most of the major cities in North America, which use this industrial grade source of fluoride to fluoridate drinking water, rather than the more expensive pharmaceutical grade sodium fluoride salt. Fluorosilicates have never been tested for safety in humans. Furthermore, these industrial-grade chemicals are contaminated with trace amounts of heavy metals such as lead, arsenic and radium that accumulate in humans. Increased lead levels have been found in children living in fluoridated communities. Osteosarcoma (bone cancer) has been shown to be associated with radium in the drinking water. Long-term ingestion of these harmful elements should be avoided altogether.

2. Half of all ingested fluoride remains in the skeletal system and accumulates with age. Several recent epidemiological studies suggest that only a few years of fluoride ingestion from fluoridated water increases the risk for bone fracture. The relationship between the milder symptoms of bone fluorosis (joint pain and arthritic symptoms) and fluoride accumulation in humans has never been investigated. People unable to eliminate fluoride under normal conditions (kidney impairment) or people who ingest more than average amounts of water (athletes, diabetics) are more at risk to be affected by the toxic effects of fluoride accumulation.

3. There is a dose-dependent relationship between the prevalence/severity of dental fluorosis and fluoride ingestion. When dental decay rates were high, a certain amount of dental fluorosis was considered an acceptable `trade off' of providing an `optimum' dose of 1.0 ppm fluoride in the water. However, studies published in the 1980's and 1990's have shown that dental fluorosis has increased dramatically in North America. Infants and toddlers are especially at risk for dental fluorosis of the front teeth since it is during the first 3 years of life that the permanent front teeth are the most sensitive to the effects of fluoride. Children fed formula made with fluoridated tap water are at higher risk to develop dental fluorosis. A relatively small percentage of the children affected with dental fluorosis have the more severe kind that requires extensive restorative dental work to correct the damage. The long-term effect of fluoride accumulation on dentin colour and biomechanics is also unknown. Generalized dental fluorosis of all the permanent teeth indicates that the bone is a major source of the excess fluoride. The effect of this excess amount of fluoride in bone is unknown. Whether stress bone fractures occur more often in children with dental fluorosis has not been studied.

4. A lifetime of excessive fluoride ingestion will undoubtedly have detrimental effects on a number of biological systems in the body and it is illogical to assume that tooth enamel is the only tissue affected by low daily doses of fluoride ingestion. Fluoride activates G-protein and a number of cascade reactions in the cell. At high concentrations it is both mitogenic and genotoxic. Some published studies point to fluoride's interference with the reproductive system, the pineal gland and thyroid function. Fluoride is a proven carcinogen in humans exposed to high industrial levels. No study has yet been conducted to determine the level of fluoride that bone cells are exposed to when fluoride-rich bone is turned over. Thus, the issue of fluoride causing bone cancer cannot be dismissed as being a non-issue since carefully conducted animal and human cancer studies using the exact same chemicals added to our drinking water have not been carried out.

The issue of mass medication of an unapproved drug without the expressed informed consent of each individual must also be addressed. The dose of fluoride cannot be controlled. Fluoride as a drug has contaminated most processed foods and beverages throughout North America. Individuals who are susceptible to fluoride's harmful effects cannot avoid ingesting this drug. This presents a medico-legal and ethical dilemma and sets water fluoridation apart from vaccination as a public health measure where doses and distribution can be controlled. The rights of individuals to enjoy the freedom from involuntary fluoride medication certainly outweigh the right of society to enforce this public health measure, especially when the evidence of benefit is marginal at best.

Based on the points outlined briefly above, the evidence has convinced me that the benefits of water fluoridation no longer outweigh the risks. The money saved from halting water fluoridation programs can be more wisely spent on concentrated public health efforts to reduce dental decay in the populations that are still at risk and this will, at the same time, lower the incidence of the harmful side effects that a large segment of the general population is currently experiencing because of this outdated public health measure.

Sincerely,

Dr. Hardy Limeback BSc PhD (Biochemistry) DDS

Head, Preventive Dentistry

Last edited:
I find myself constantly correcting your understanding of written passages... it is not my intent to be offensive but it may be possible that you have a reading disorder. Contrary to what you may believe, it is actually quite common. You may benefit from a psychoeducational test... honestly i'm not trying to be rude, it could potentially be very helpful

... i noticed you emphasized their use of the word by-product as they are trying to deem fluoride as something horrible because of that classification. I'll just let you know, that isn't the point. The point is that it costs factories thousands and thousands of dollars every year to dispose of these by-products... finding a way to have someone dispose of your wastes for you or even buy it from you is an excellent way of dealing with this problem. Considering the massive amount of money you would save it certainly wouldn't hurt to provide a little donation to those supporting this agreement ... seems to be the way most things work in America :p

anyways, thanks for your commentary. I appreciate that you atleast looked into it :)
so.... this is the first time I have actually posted seriously on the topic, and therefore the first time you could have possibly "corrected me" and yet I have the reading problem :rolleyes:
It's ok to just admit that everything you've been "correcting" me on is simply over your head ;)
You have never corrected my understanding on anything - you have only demonstrated your own lack of understanding. The current lack of understanding is forgivable.... the inability to understand is troublesome. I'm sorry, it must be difficult :oops:

Last edited:
Just so we are clear on who had the difficulty in whatever arbitrary number of things you decide to list at the time :rolleyes:
(seriously dude.... I am a little sad for you that you think the "With all due respect, go EFF yourself" sort of response is in any way witty, but it does explain a few things ;))

Lets just take a look at this gem from page 1

Well, in my opinion the purpose of an argument/debate is to challenge your current beliefs and ideas so that they can evolve as you modify and improve them.

I have given you a plethora of evidence based on solid research (whether you call it anecdotal or not). Now, I have asked you to provide some evidence to counter my claims.

Where is it? Does it exist? Please, I'm begging you. I don't want to be the guy spinning "anecdotal evidence" :rolleyes:

Please back-up your claims... Bro;)

up to this point, you had linked FA.org, stated your opinion twice, asked for someone else to provide evidence when they disputed your own opinions/conclusions, did a fist pump for your city's water fluoridation policy, posted a youtube link, and then reposted FA.org, and then insinuated that fluoride makes you dumb on the basis that jocks drink a lot of water, before getting butthurt when I said the content of your post demonstrates a very superficial and simple understanding of things and then retorting that you had "given a plethora of evidence based on solid research".

I understand that you and I are not seeing eye to eye, and I even understand that you feel that I am missing something (although this is foolishly based on you understanding that you understand yourself.. and yes, that was intentionally redundant :D), but you are clearly living in a fantasy land because you are arbitrarily assigning meaning and credibility according to whatever fits your pre-conceived notions.

so.... this is the first time I have actually posted seriously on the topic, and therefore the first time you could have possibly "corrected me" and yet I have the reading problem :rolleyes:
It's ok to just admit that everything you've been "correcting" me on is simply over your head ;)

ok...:rolleyes:

haha, I think I just got caught up in it all today ahah... I don't think I agree with the root canal thing, I just wanted to hear what people would say... I personally don't think fluoride should be in the water. I believe in making my own health decisions... :)

be sure to lead with that in your interviews

Just so we are clear on who had the difficulty in whatever arbitrary number of things you decide to list at the time :rolleyes:
(seriously dude.... I am a little sad for you that you think the "With all due respect, go EFF yourself" sort of response is in any way witty, but it does explain a few things ;))

Lets just take a look at this gem from page 1

up to this point, you had linked FA.org, stated your opinion twice, asked for someone else to provide evidence when they disputed your own opinions/conclusions, did a fist pump for your city's water fluoridation policy, posted a youtube link, and then reposted FA.org, and then insinuated that fluoride makes you dumb on the basis that jocks drink a lot of water, before getting butthurt when I said the content of your post demonstrates a very superficial and simple understanding of things and then retorting that you had "given a plethora of evidence based on solid research".

I understand that you and I are not seeing eye to eye, and I even understand that you feel that I am missing something (although this is foolishly based on you understanding that you understand yourself.. and yes, that was intentionally redundant :D), but you are clearly living in a fantasy land because you are arbitrarily assigning meaning and credibility according to whatever fits your pre-conceived notions.

Ever since your first post you've been embarrassing yourself. I promise you, the embarrassment of having psychoeducational testing done will be outweighed by the accommodations that you may... I'm not trying to be witty or offensive. The honest, caring individual that I am is trying help you and others who come in contact with you. I can see that you are putting in a honest effort in interpreting the website and my (and other people's) comments, but in spite of these efforts you are still misleading other people too lazy to look it up for themselves. I can see that you are a very hard-working individual.

I'm looking out for my brothers and sisters on this planet. Under careful unbiased investigation of the topic, it is obvious that fluoride should be remove from all water supplies. Believe when I say that I wish that fluoride had all the benefits that you believe it has. Yes, simply adding a chemical, already produced as a by-product in mass, to the water supply to prevent dental decay sounds absolutely wonderful. I am in full support of such a thing. Unfortunately, this isn't the case. It is obvious that this is a money driven scheme, industries producing this chemical are saving MILLIONS! it's ridiculous and very sad!

It is not my intent to deface the image of the FDA, ADA, CDA, etc.... I just want the best for my peers :)

also, I encourage you to check out my post including the letter from the head of preventative dentistry at the U of T :)

thanks for your argument, I'm sorry if I've come off as rude or demeaning at any time.

Last edited:
be sure to lead with that in your interviews

thanks for your sarcasm, there are dental schools who are not in support of fluoride in the water (as I have given example of one above :)). This is an ethical issue, and it effects me personally. I therefore know that "personally" would be appropriate word. If my interviewers do not respect this, then it would be a clear indication that the school would not be for me :)

@Mouthlover PLEEEEEEEEASE for the love of all that is good in this world post some actual papers/sources for the info you get. For three pages now of this "discussion" I've been waiting and all I get are youtube vids, and second/third/fourth/fifth-hand sources of info. I really would like to see what actual evidence exists for the opposition to flouride.

oh, and spectorGT260 finally goes over your sources of info and attempts to have a quality debate/discussion and what do you do first thing... you throw out a few personal attacks! (however light they were intended to be) Come on! I thought you wanted to have a good discussion not just act like little kids.

And so I don't sound too one-sided- the above goes for both sides... keep your "witty/not trying to be witty" banter to yourself. You lose a lot of credibility when you use it

Someone has to protect our precious bodily fluids from the Commies.

@Mouthlover PLEEEEEEEEASE for the love of all that is good in this world post some actual papers/sources for the info you get. For three pages now of this "discussion" I've been waiting and all I get are youtube vids, and second/third/fourth/fifth-hand sources of info. I really would like to see what actual evidence exists for the opposition to flouride.

oh, and spectorGT260 finally goes over your sources of info and attempts to have a quality debate/discussion and what do you do first thing... you throw out a few personal attacks! (however light they were intended to be) Come on! I thought you wanted to have a good discussion not just act like little kids.

And so I don't sound too one-sided- the above goes for both sides... keep your "witty/not trying to be witty" banter to yourself. You lose a lot of credibility when you use it

Hey, thanks you're right we should definitely be more focussed on the topic and leave our personal issues aside.

I will present some things tomorrow. What did you think about the letter?

Someone has to protect our precious bodily fluids from the Commies.
:thumbup:

Ever since your first post you've been embarrassing yourself. I promise you, the embarrassment of having psychoeducational testing done will be outweighed by the accommodations that you may...

1) this is not a complete or coherent thought..... accommodations that I may.... I may what?

2) Ive been embarrassing myself? Sources plz :laugh:

Hey, thanks you're right we should definitely be more focussed on the topic and leave our personal issues aside.

I will present some things tomorrow. What did you think about the letter?

:thumbup:

weird... youve been saying this for 2 days now :confused:

and.... we have personal issues? Well gee..... I thought we were all friends here. I guess you cant always expect people to act appropriately when you attack their religion ;)

Last edited:
Do you recall what Clemenceau once said about war?

He said war was too important to be left to the generals. When he said that, 50 years ago, he might have been right. But today, war is too important to be left to politicians. They have neither the time, the training, nor the inclination for strategic thought. I can no longer sit back and allow Communist infiltration, Communist indoctrination, Communist subversion and the international Communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids.

Do you realize that in addition to fluoridating water, why, there are studies underway to fluoridate salt, flour, fruit juices, soup, sugar, milk... ice cream. Ice cream, children's ice cream!

You know when fluoridation first began?

Nineteen hundred and forty-six. 1946. How does that coincide with your post-war Commie conspiracy, huh? It's incredibly obvious, isn't it? A foreign substance is introduced into our precious bodily fluids without the knowledge of the individual. Certainly without any choice. That's the way your hard-core Commie works.

I first became aware of it during the physical act of love. Yes, a uh, a profound sense of fatigue... a feeling of emptiness followed. Luckily I... I was able to interpret these feelings correctly. Loss of essence. I can assure you it has not recurred. Women uh... women sense my power and they seek the life essence. I, uh... I do not avoid women. But I... I do deny them my essence.

thanks for your sarcasm, there are dental schools who are not in support of fluoride in the water (as I have given example of one above :)). This is an ethical issue, and it effects me personally. I therefore know that "personally" would be appropriate word. If my interviewers do not respect this, then it would be a clear indication that the school would not be for me :)

right... there are also schools that don't support brushing & flossing... perhaps you have some opposing "personal" views against that too?

hey now! thats another thing you can march on to those interviews

right... there are also schools that don't support brushing & flossing... perhaps you have some opposing "personal" views against that too?

hey now! thats another thing you can march on to those interviews

please stop being a troll :)

you haven't replied to my question.

Why would I be opposed to brushing and flossing, the research says it's good and a person is given the choice to brush/floss or not. Having fluoride in your water takes away that choice, it gets into all your food, drinking water, juices, sodas everything. I prefer and believe in choice ;)

weird... youve been saying this for 2 days now :confused:

and.... we have personal issues? Well gee..... I thought we were all friends here. I guess you cant always expect people to act appropriately when you attack their religion ;)

it's been about 34 hours now ;)

Religion?

so why haven't you given your opinion of the lecture or letter that I have posted about fluoride from the head of the preventative dentistry department at the University of Toronto? ;)

Last edited:
Why are we avoiding the real issue, all of those quacks out there who insist HIV causes AIDS when clearly HIV is just a harmless retrovirus.

Look! I have a reference!!!

http://www.duesberg.com/

Oh come on Specter, have you never seen this movie?

It sounded familiar but i guessed i missed it.

it's been about 34 hours now ;)

Religion?

so why haven't you given your opinion of the lecture or letter that I have posted about fluoride from the head of the preventative dentistry department at the University of Toronto? ;)

bahaha well not for the same reason that you chose to only respond to 1 of my many arguments in that other post - I didn't see them bc I assumed all links were just more of the same biased and uneducated crap. Relink and ill look them over

P.s. I knew the religion comment would be over your head ;)

Why are we avoiding the real issue, all of those quacks out there who insist HIV causes AIDS when clearly HIV is just a harmless retrovirus.

Look! I have a reference!!!

http://www.duesberg.com/

Preach on brudduh! They aren't even spelled the same! HIV=AIDS? Ya right. We all know that the gays put fluoride in our water to make us more susceptible to the aids in vaccines!

yes, I can see what you are saying. But apparently the dose of fluoride in the water in quite high... high enough that you can notice dental fluorosis (I've seen many people with this problem)... consider an olympic athlete, who trains everyday/all-day, and sweats ALOT - look at Michael Phelps he eats 12,000 calories a day - think about how much water they have to drink! It's way way way more than the usual chap sitting on the coach all day! they are going to be exposed to far more fluoride!

If it truly causes brain damage/lowers IQ, is that why we have some called a Jock (someone who exercises a lot - probably drinks a lot of water - and is quite dumb)? :confused: :idea: just a thought....
I just wanted to remind everyone of how brilliant our OP is. :confused: :idea: Just a thought....

I just wanted to remind everyone of how brilliant our OP is. :confused: :idea: Just a thought....

Yes, if anyone really cares they would read the thread ;) The post you were referring to in no way shows any lack of intelligence I'm simply making a remark about how a common stereotype is coincidentally congruent with this logical inference. specterGT260 i don't see how your broscience displays any kind of intelligence :laugh:

It's funny, your level of reading comprehension is extremely poor :oops: ok, maybe it's immoral for me to make fun of your for this, but you're bringing it upon yourself. I guess your descent level of written expression makes up for it.... go get tested bud, you'll recieve some accommodations that could potentially make your life a little easier on you :)

Oh and another funny thing... good try with your use of the word "religion" ... sorry man. It just wasn't as good, appropriate or as funny as when I said it to you :laugh:.... man broscientists are lameeeee :cool:

anyways...

This is what I've posted. If you have trouble understanding... I'll be right here bud ;)

In my previous post I also included a lecture from the same guy, he's only the head of preventative of dentistry at Canada's highest rated/reputable university in Canada (some say it's McGill but whatever), enjoy :)

Dr. Hardy Limeback, BSc, PhD, DDS
Associate Professor and Head, Preventive Dentistry
University of Toronto
Toronto, Ontario, M5G-1G6
Fax (416) 979-4936
Tel(416) 979-4929
E-mail:[email protected]
April, 2000

To whom it may concern:

Why I am now officially opposed to adding fluoride to drinking water

Since April of 1999, I have publicly decried the addition of fluoride, especially hydrofluosilicic acid, to drinking water for the purpose of preventing tooth decay. The following summarize my reasons.

New evidence for lack of effectiveness of fluoridation in modern times.

1. Modern studies (published in the 1980's 1990's) show dental decay rates are so low in North America that the effects of water fluoridation cannot be measured. Because of the low prevalence of dental decay, water fluoridation studies today must be carefully conducted to correct for mobility of subjects between fluoridated and non-fluoridated areas, access to fluoride from other sources, the lack of blinding and problems with the `halo' effect. Even when very large sample sizes are used to obtain statistically significant results, the benefit of water fluoridation is not a clinically relevant one (the number of tooth surfaces saved from dental decay per person is less than one half). Recent studies show that halting fluoridation will either result in only a marginal increase in dental decay which cannot be detected or no increase in dental decay at all.

2. The major reasons for the general decline of tooth decay worldwide, both in non-fluoridated and fluoridated areas, is the widespread use of fluoridated toothpaste, improved diets, and overall improved general and dental health (antibiotics, preservatives, hygiene etc).

3. There is now a better understanding of how fluoride prevents dental decay. What little benefit fluoridated water may still provide is derived primarily through topical means (after the teeth erupt and come in contact with fluorides in the oral cavity). Fluoride does not need to be swallowed to be effective. It is not an essential nutrient. Nor should it be considered a desirable `supplement' for children living in non-fluoridated areas. Fluoride ingestion delays tooth eruption and this may account for some of the differences seen in the past between fluoridated and non-fluoridated areas (i.e. dental decay is simply postponed). No fluoridation study has ever separated out the systemic effects of fluoride. Even if there were a systemic benefit from ingestion of fluoride, it would be miniscule and clinically irrelevant. The notion that systemic fluorides are needed in non-fluoridated areas is an outdated one that should be abandoned altogether.

New evidence for potential serious harm from long-term fluoride ingestion.

1. Hydrofluorosilicic acid is recovered from the smokestack scrubbers during the production of phosphate fertilizer and sold to most of the major cities in North America, which use this industrial grade source of fluoride to fluoridate drinking water, rather than the more expensive pharmaceutical grade sodium fluoride salt. Fluorosilicates have never been tested for safety in humans. Furthermore, these industrial-grade chemicals are contaminated with trace amounts of heavy metals such as lead, arsenic and radium that accumulate in humans. Increased lead levels have been found in children living in fluoridated communities. Osteosarcoma (bone cancer) has been shown to be associated with radium in the drinking water. Long-term ingestion of these harmful elements should be avoided altogether.

2. Half of all ingested fluoride remains in the skeletal system and accumulates with age. Several recent epidemiological studies suggest that only a few years of fluoride ingestion from fluoridated water increases the risk for bone fracture. The relationship between the milder symptoms of bone fluorosis (joint pain and arthritic symptoms) and fluoride accumulation in humans has never been investigated. People unable to eliminate fluoride under normal conditions (kidney impairment) or people who ingest more than average amounts of water (athletes, diabetics) are more at risk to be affected by the toxic effects of fluoride accumulation.

3. There is a dose-dependent relationship between the prevalence/severity of dental fluorosis and fluoride ingestion. When dental decay rates were high, a certain amount of dental fluorosis was considered an acceptable `trade off' of providing an `optimum' dose of 1.0 ppm fluoride in the water. However, studies published in the 1980's and 1990's have shown that dental fluorosis has increased dramatically in North America. Infants and toddlers are especially at risk for dental fluorosis of the front teeth since it is during the first 3 years of life that the permanent front teeth are the most sensitive to the effects of fluoride. Children fed formula made with fluoridated tap water are at higher risk to develop dental fluorosis. A relatively small percentage of the children affected with dental fluorosis have the more severe kind that requires extensive restorative dental work to correct the damage. The long-term effect of fluoride accumulation on dentin colour and biomechanics is also unknown. Generalized dental fluorosis of all the permanent teeth indicates that the bone is a major source of the excess fluoride. The effect of this excess amount of fluoride in bone is unknown. Whether stress bone fractures occur more often in children with dental fluorosis has not been studied.

4. A lifetime of excessive fluoride ingestion will undoubtedly have detrimental effects on a number of biological systems in the body and it is illogical to assume that tooth enamel is the only tissue affected by low daily doses of fluoride ingestion. Fluoride activates G-protein and a number of cascade reactions in the cell. At high concentrations it is both mitogenic and genotoxic. Some published studies point to fluoride's interference with the reproductive system, the pineal gland and thyroid function. Fluoride is a proven carcinogen in humans exposed to high industrial levels. No study has yet been conducted to determine the level of fluoride that bone cells are exposed to when fluoride-rich bone is turned over. Thus, the issue of fluoride causing bone cancer cannot be dismissed as being a non-issue since carefully conducted animal and human cancer studies using the exact same chemicals added to our drinking water have not been carried out.

The issue of mass medication of an unapproved drug without the expressed informed consent of each individual must also be addressed. The dose of fluoride cannot be controlled. Fluoride as a drug has contaminated most processed foods and beverages throughout North America. Individuals who are susceptible to fluoride's harmful effects cannot avoid ingesting this drug. This presents a medico-legal and ethical dilemma and sets water fluoridation apart from vaccination as a public health measure where doses and distribution can be controlled. The rights of individuals to enjoy the freedom from involuntary fluoride medication certainly outweigh the right of society to enforce this public health measure, especially when the evidence of benefit is marginal at best.

Based on the points outlined briefly above, the evidence has convinced me that the benefits of water fluoridation no longer outweigh the risks. The money saved from halting water fluoridation programs can be more wisely spent on concentrated public health efforts to reduce dental decay in the populations that are still at risk and this will, at the same time, lower the incidence of the harmful side effects that a large segment of the general population is currently experiencing because of this outdated public health measure.

Sincerely,

Dr. Hardy Limeback BSc PhD (Biochemistry) DDS

Head, Preventive Dentistry

Last edited:
By the way, if anybody has some sort of issue with the credibility of this letter, I invite you to contact Dr.Limeback yourself as his email and phone numbers are included. But hurry up! because he's retiring in just 10 days! .. I'm sure he'd be happy to clear up any distortions that you may behold :D

No correspondence from some random DDS off his meds.

Post a few Pubmed links or GTFO.

By the way, if anybody has some sort of issue with the credibility of this letter, I invite you to contact Dr.Limeback yourself as his email and phone numbers are included. But hurry up! because he's retiring in just 10 days! .. I'm sure he'd be happy to clear up any distortions that you may behold :D

Ah, my mistake, not off his meds, just senile.

No correspondence from some random DDS off his meds.

Post a few Pubmed links or GTFO.

Ah, my mistake, not off his meds, just senile.

Sorry, but there is no reason for you to show this kind of disrespect. Please, take your trolling somewhere else. If you're lacking the kind of maturity to control your compulsions, I invite you to reconsider your career choice ... or at least inquire about a sertraline prescription from your family doctor. promptly...

Sorry, but there is no reason for you to show this kind of disrespect. Please, take your trolling somewhere else. If you're lacking the kind of maturity to control your compulsions, I invite you to reconsider your career choice ... or at least inquire about a sertraline prescription from your family doctor. promptly...

Your posts continue to have no scientific validity.

I will respect them when you post a single real reference.

As I said, Pubmed links please. Not to commentary or an editorial, but an actual journal article.

Status
Not open for further replies.