Do you think being overweight decreases your chances of getting into med school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I meant every word that I said. I used to be fat and guess what, I did something about it. Dismissing people's lack of initiative in taking care of themselves only facilitates a bad habit.

Do you think derision is going to help anyone lose weight? This isn't about dismissing anything, but rather about being supportive. Honestly the derisive attitudes were one of the hardest parts about losing weight - people constantly reaffirm your belief that all that matters is what you are, not what youre trying to be. I too have an issue with people who do nothing to guard their health, but I also believe as a doctor it's my job to work with these people not condemn them.

Members don't see this ad.

This is what I was talking about when I said that obesity is the last frontier of intolerance- everyone is still fine with judging overweight people. If you're a young guy and can't even find one doctor who'll help you lose weight when you choose to, that's really sad. We're all willing to tell people what they're supposed to do, but aren't there to back them up when they actually try. And I think part of that is that so many people are willing to just chalk it up to "willpower" and "discipline". For what it's worth, some people's obsession with order and discipline actually causes them to binge eat, so I'm pretty sure that's not the magical answer. Sure, discipline has a lot to do with being fit, but the truth is that some people mostly see food as fuel and some don't. For some, willpower is the main thing they need to get a hold of, and for some it isn't. Some people eat more when they're stressed, some stop eating altogether. Some are naturally thin. Some are naturally bigger boned and look heavy no matter how healthy they are. And some of the people that lose a lot of weight never really find out why they had packed it on in the first place, and chalk it up to some weakness they no longer possess. Oh, and there are genetic factors, social factors, familial factors, neurological factors...

But yeah, let's just chalk it up to "they don't try hard enough". That'll really help our future patients.

Thing is, as much as people complain that they have thyroid problems, incredibly ridiculously slow metabolisms, and every lame excuse in the book, it just comes down to terrible diet, lack of exercise and laziness. In the end, if an obese person remains obese, it's because he didn't want it bad enough.

We shouldn't "deride" people for being fat (let's preach tolerance and respect for all instead), but let's at least acknowledge that obesity for 100% of people is a choice and if they can't lose the weight they are doing it wrong, don't want it bad enough, or are just plain lazy. The human body is not designed to be 300 lbs. I think we can fairly chalk it up to the fact that they aren't trying hard enough, and there really is no reason to sugarcoat it and help rationalize a patients decisions to remain unhealthy.

Now I'm not saying we should tell them this and then disregard them as hopeless or a lost cause. Instead, in a tactful and respectful way, let's make sure they understand that they hold full responsibility to have willpower, discipline and self-control, so they can take positive steps to change. What we don't need is for doctors to be idiots and tell patients that being overweight is a perfectly valid lifestyle if that makes them happy. Seriously, there are groups that preach that
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fat_acceptance_movement

Last edited:
I meant every word that I said. I used to be fat and guess what, I did something about it. Dismissing people's lack of initiative in taking care of themselves only facilitates a bad habit.

I also lost a ton of weight, and I don't believe in "dismissing" anything. I don't dismiss, and I don't deride. Why? Because both are entirely unhelpful approaches to the problem. Believe it or not, there's a happy medium between thinking someone is entirely at fault for the situation they put themselves into and dismissing the issue entirely.

Members don't see this ad :)
Do you think derision is going to help anyone lose weight? This isn't about dismissing anything, but rather about being supportive. Honestly the derisive attitudes were one of the hardest parts about losing weight - people constantly reaffirm your belief that all that matters is what you are, not what youre trying to be. I too have an issue with people who do nothing to guard their health, but I also believe as a doctor it's my job to work with these people not condemn them.

Honestly, yes. When people are insulted, they either will: ignore it, become angry, or become sad. If someone ignores it, then there is no harm done. If someone becomes angry, then that anger can be a huge impetus for them to lose weight. If they become sad, then that is their fault for allowing other people's opinions to affect them.

Either way, the only damage that can be done is emotional, which should galvanize people to change their appearance anyway.

As a doctor, I would take the same approach. If someone is fat, they know that it is bad for their health. Thus, knowledge alone may be insufficient to cause one to lose weight. Of course I would not articulate the imperative for them to lose weight in as tactless a manner as I did here, but I nevertheless would make it known that it is their fault that they are fat and it is their responsibility to change it. When people introduce other factors--which legitimately impact one's predilection towards being overweight--that only offers them excuses for their unhealthy state.

not so fast there, pons. amcas does send the photo of you at the mcat to schools. it's to ensure that the same human taking the test is the one that shows up for the interviews, and that this person is the same guy that shows up for orientation and class.

also protects applicants in the case of gunners-with-vengeance, who want to do some serious sabotage work by bombing the test for someone else.

https://www.aamc.org/services/biometrics/

Honestly, yes. When people are insulted, they either will: ignore it, become angry, or become sad. If someone ignores it, then there is no harm done. If someone becomes angry, then that anger can be a huge impetus for them to lose weight. If they become sad, then that is their fault for allowing other people's opinions to affect them.

Either way, the only damage that can be done is emotional, which should galvanize people to change their appearance anyway.

As a doctor, I would take the same approach. If someone is fat, they know that it is bad for their health. Thus, knowledge alone may be insufficient to cause one to lose weight. Of course I would not articulate the imperative for them to lose weight in as tactless a manner as I did here, but I nevertheless would make it known that it is their fault that they are fat and it is their responsibility to change it. When people introduce other factors--which legitimately impact one's predilection towards being overweight--that only offers them excuses for their unhealthy state.

not sure if srs.

if so, there's good science out there showing that, at least with respect to this particular element of your practice, you'll be a terrible doctor.

It amazes me how many people try to rationalize being overweight. Why wouldn't you want to look and feel the best you can? Unless you're trying to gain muscle, I just don't understand how someone can put on more than 5-10lbs and not do something about it. You don't even have to exercise to lose weight, its all about calories in/calories out... so there's really no excuse, fatties

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

Generally LOL...and also LOL at you!

Not sure how this even addresses the question.

not so fast there, pons. amcas does send the photo of you at the mcat to schools. it's to ensure that the same human taking the test is the one that shows up for the interviews, and that this person is the same guy that shows up for orientation and class.

also protects applicants in the case of gunners-with-vengeance, who want to do some serious sabotage work by bombing the test for someone else.

yes this is correct. i don't think it so much goes with your AMCAS as it is available to admissions people so they can cross check if they want to. regardless, everyone takes the MCAT, many look like hell when they do it, these people are accepted. it's certainly not something to worry about. wear whatever.

Seriously? Sub 7 splits? Not bad at all... actually that's pretty effing good!

Why has this become a "I can piss farther than you" contest? Who cares...go kick rocks or pet your dog...you know the one you decided to take a picture of :cool:

not sure if srs.

if so, there's good science out there showing that, at least with respect to this particular element of your practice, you'll be a terrible doctor.

In all honesty and seriousness, I would like to see the science showing that negative motivation is a poor approach to cause someone to change their behavior.

How are you ever going to tell a patient that they need to loose weight to reduce their BP, DMT2 severity or the other hundred things that weight affect when you are overweight. Set an example and just loose the weight instead of looking for SDNers to reinforce your own acceptance/laziness with regards to your weight.

PS If your eat less calories than your body needs, YOU WILL LOOSE WEIGHT. Always.

Yep...you'll lose weight and still get type 2 diabetes if you just eat less...I love it!

ADCOMS are usually wise not to consider applicant weight (at least as a major factor) considering that many of them are overweight as well

That's completely different. Being disfigured due to an unfortunate situation is very different from self-inflicted obesity. The former demands sympathy, the latter derision.

Hahahahaha...I love this dumb***** rationale!

Where's the link of that fat kid bodyslamming the bully?
[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z9oA3RGB2vI[/YOUTUBE]

Dbate = skinny gremilin who got bodyslammed:laugh:

As a former fatty, I have to agree. Also, the benefits of being thin (or even just normal sized) extend WAY beyond the physical. Emotionally, you receive a huge boost of confidence from losing weight, which inevitably spills over into other avenues of your life. Therefore losing weight doubly boosts your dating prospects and also can lead to economic reward, as people DO judge people based on their weight, so it can impact your ability to get jobs.

How did you get fat in the first place? :laugh:

Members don't see this ad :)
As a future doctor, I find it morally and ethically irresponsible to inform fatties that it is not good for their health. I will make no attempt to help my patients lose weight. By not making fun of their weight and telling them to change they will think that I accept them and like me more and therefore give me more business. Also, if they do not change their weight, I am essentially drumming up business for myself. I can charge their insurance every time I do another test necessitated by their obesity. I will revel in writing prescriptions for blood pressure and cholesterol medication. All the while, I will be getting more fit from carrying around these buckets of money that wouldn't exist if the patient had a normal weight.

So I'm actually the OPs friend. I am 5'6", 204, and have a BMI of 32 so I am obese. I think I carry it pretty well because usually people just think I am chubby (don't have to wear plus sizes or anything) but still, I'm sure you are all right that I would be better received if I was thin and generally more attractive looking.

My problem is that I don't think I can accomplish this in... the 4 or so months that I have before secondaries come out and pictures are requested. So I am really worried about this. Do you guys think I should wait until next year to apply just to give myself more time to get in shape? I've already been out of school for one year so I really don't want to have to wait another just for this. I was planning on submitting my entire app by July 1st. If I can do this, do you guys have any idea of how much time I'll have before I need to start sending photos/going on interviews?

I don't really know what else to do besides either really strict dieting for the next few months or delaying my whole app. I think I could probably lose 10/month but still, that would only get me down to about 170 and a bmi of about 27 (still overweight) by July.

Please spare me that "it's your fault that you're fat and in this position" speech. I gots it. I'm pretty healthy in every other aspect of my life but I'll be honest, I just really like food and after my parents died, I ate too much of it.

NOOO!
Apply now. Don't worry about your weight.
You say you carry it well, and you're certainly not morbidly obese. You are able-bodied and relatively healthy. Don't delay a year off your dreams just because of weight...

And sure - you should start eating healthy and exercising NOW, but do it for yourself. Eat healthy and exercise, and don't focus so much on weight. Remember - while being attractive will help you in your interviews, so will being well groomed, articulate, and friendly. Good luck :thumbup:

Also, if you're interested, I suggest you check out the writings of Gary Taubes. Good Calories, Bad Calories is an epic book containing hundreds of pages of citations. Here's a NY Times article he wrote: http://www.nytimes.com/2002/07/07/magazine/what-if-it-s-all-been-a-big-fat-lie.html

Bias? Maybe? What inspired me was this popular article from the New England Journal of Medicine a few years back:

http://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/NEJMsa066082

Sure genetic factors and environment are important but they aren't everything. The study shows, among other things, that obesity is most strongly correlated among peers regardless of whether environment or genes are shared and regardless of geographic distance. The authors suggest that obesity "spreads" as perceptions regarding obesity or lack of concern with weight (self-control/discipline) spreads through a social group.

People usually get fat because they lack discipline/self-control regarding food. This may be due to a relaxation of their negative perceptions on obesity as these perception spread through a social group.

Speaking about the highly selected cohort of US medical students, it is my opinion that characteristics such as determination, delayed gratification, and self-discipline might spill over into other parts of their lives beyond the intellectual. It's just an opinion sis, relax :laugh:

edit: Oh and I was fat once. Now I'm ripped
edit2: Technically I was fat twice. But that'll never happen again :)

There's so many studies indicating that obesity is an extremely complex, multi-faceted problem. There's a huge interplay of genetics, psychology, sociology, economics, nutrition, and hormones.

That study is interesting, but you're drawing illogical conclusions from it. All that study did was observe "obesity clusters" in social networks. The study makes no claims (or at least shouldn't) about the specific reasons behind this.

Poor people have much higher rates of obesity than the wealthy. Certain minority groups (Africans, Hispanics) tend to have higher rates of obesity. Poor people tend to associate with poor people. Blacks tend to associate with blacks. Of-****ing-course you're going to see "obesity clusters" in social networks. This is such a no-duh. :rolleyes:

Anyway, how fat were you? Statistically speaking, you will gain all your weight back within 5 years (95% of people who lose weight do.. And as you mentioned, it sounds like you did gain it back once. Stay vigilant, because it will likely happen again.).

Personally, I have never been overweight. I can eat Big Macs and M&Ms for weeks at a time, and then for another several weeks, I can eat salads, fruit, and chicken breasts. Regardless of my diet, I naturally maintain around an 8% body fat, and always have a six pack, and I only get the most minimal exercise. Most people in my family are like me.

In contrast, I have friends who work out 5x/week, eat extremely healthy, and still maintain a chubby frame. They're probably healthier than me, though.

Everyone has some sort of vice or problem. Whether it's due to weak will, genetics, psychology, or some combination thereof, we should have some amount of compassion. Encourage people to eat healthy and exercise, but don't deride them. Choose to have some sense of humanity, and treat obese people with respect that every human deserves... Especially if you're going to be a doctor.:)

Key sentence from that link...

...Registrars are able to verify that the applicant who took the MCAT exam is the same one who attends orientation and registers for the first day of medical school.

Programs can't access that picture until you are a matriculant, information that the AAMC knows about you. Schools do not have your Prometric photo when you interview.

Programs can't access that picture until you are a matriculant, information that the AAMC knows about you. Schools do not have your Prometric photo when you interview.

again, wrong. see the FAQ's.

https://www.aamc.org/services/biometrics/frequently_asked_questions/

Answer #2 QUOTE:
"If the examinee applies to or is accepted by a medical school, the AAMC may make both the test day photograph and the photograph from the license or passport available, through a secure Web-based software program, for identity verification by the school official. "

key words are "applies to or is accepted".

okay, technically, it isn't AMCAS that is doing this, it's AAMC, but the point is that the photo is made available to schools when you apply. it doesn't say when--whether it's with the primary, secondary, or once invited to interview--but at the time of matriculation, as you say, is a bit too late in the game for this precautionary measure to be practical. imagine having to remove a fraud from campus and then get someone off the waitlist onto the campus in only a day or two...a logistical hassle that can easily be avoided.

EDIT: for clarity.

Last edited:
Thank goodness, cause I took that test in my PJs.

Ha! I think you'd have to be either slightly insane or just not too bright to take the MCAT in anything but some of the comfiest clothing you own. I'm pretty sure I took it in sweat pants, a tank top, a hoody and sneakers.

Answer #2 QUOTE:
If the examinee applies to or is accepted by a medical school, the AAMC may make both the test day photograph and the photograph from the license or passport available, through a secure Web-based software program, for identity verification by the school official. yeah, they'd still catch fraud this way, but think of the logistics of removing someone from the campus, then having to get someone off the waitlist within a few hours...just too logistically hectic and easily avoidable.

okay, technically, it isn't AMCAS that is doing this, it's AAMC, but the point is that the photo is made available to schools when you apply. it doesn't say when--whether it's with the primary, secondary, or once invited to interview--but at the time of matriculation, as you say, is a bit too late in the game for this precautionary measure to be practical.

The simple solution to this is to work them myspace/facebook angles. :cool:
Also turn your head slightly, so the camera captures the better looking half of your face.:cool:

I'm a little overweight. (Female, 5'7" and 169... which places me in the overweight BMI category). I recently read some pretty horrifying things on SDN regarding overweight candidates being told things like "they set a bad example for patients" and therefore will be bad doctors, etc. I KNOW I'm not the healthiest person in the whole world but I guess I didn't realize that being a perfect example of ideal health was a requirement for med school.

So I'm wondering, is this something that other people on the applicant/ med school road have run into? Do you guys feel that overweight/obese people are less deserving of medical school acceptances?

One of my friends (who used to be bulimic) sent me the SDN thread regarding this topic because I didn't believe her when she started flipping out about what she'd read. She is technically obese and now honestly believes that she will have less of a chance of getting in than me because of her WEIGHT.

As worried as I am for myself about this issue, I'm even more worried for people like her - perfectionist pre-meds with eating disorders who now think they need to be thin to be a doctor. It all just seems really screwed up...

Imogen - I'm just a premed.. in your shoes.. but you have nothing to worry about! I'm about the same size as you, and I'm a size 8/10! I had to work really hard to get where I am, eat a nearly vegan diet.. and exercise a lot. So, some people are not meant to be tiny. Just be confident in yourself, and try to maintain a healthy lifestyle for physical and mental health.

Best of luck,

Fay

It amazes me how many people try to rationalize being overweight. Why wouldn't you want to look and feel the best you can? Unless you're trying to gain muscle, I just don't understand how someone can put on more than 5-10lbs and not do something about it. You don't even have to exercise to lose weight, its all about calories in/calories out... so there's really no excuse, fatties

Don't flatter yourself. Losing five pounds of extra weight is probably easier for you than it is for fat people.

From the CDC website:

In an environment made constant for food intake and physical activity, individuals respond differently. Some people store more energy as fat in an environment of excess; others lose less fat in an environment of scarcity. The different responses are largely due to genetic variation between individuals.​

It's called "science." Look it up, because I hear it comes in handy for medicine.

Thing is, as much as people complain that they have thyroid problems, incredibly ridiculously slow metabolisms, and every lame excuse in the book, it just comes down to terrible diet, lack of exercise and laziness. In the end, if an obese person remains obese, it's because he didn't want it bad enough.

We shouldn't "deride" people for being fat (let's preach tolerance and respect for all instead), but let's at least acknowledge that obesity for 100% of people is a choice and if they can't lose the weight they are doing it wrong, don't want it bad enough, or are just plain lazy. The human body is not designed to be 300 lbs. I think we can fairly chalk it up to the fact that they aren't trying hard enough, and there really is no reason to sugarcoat it and help rationalize a patients decisions to remain unhealthy.

Now I'm not saying we should tell them this and then disregard them as hopeless or a lost cause. Instead, in a tactful and respectful way, let's make sure they understand that they hold full responsibility to have willpower, discipline and self-control, so they can take positive steps to change. What we don't need is for doctors to be idiots and tell patients that being overweight is a perfectly valid lifestyle if that makes them happy. Seriously, there are groups that preach that
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fat_acceptance_movement

• Obesity rates skyrocketed in the last ~3 decades. 2/3 of this country is now overweight or obese. 1/3 is obese. The number is rising.

• Today, many babies are born overweight or obese.

• Children are getting diabetes left and right.

• To this date, all studies indicate that 95% of people who lose weight will gain it all back (plus more) within five years. The "successful" 5% who keep it off usually still gain a significant amount of weight back, just not as much.

Your explanation to this huge influx of problems seems to be: "our country's will power and discipline dramatically diminished in one generation. Fat people - 2/3rds of this country - are lazy. They need to work harder."

If that's the best answer we can come up with, this country's gonna stay fat. :thumbdown:

I judge these people all the time.

I guess you would be a bad friend.

I NEVER, EVER judge, only after knowing someone for months. But then again, Im a very nice, kind, and friendly guy who wants to be friends with everyone at first, so I'm the one who is mean, or looks down on others for no reason.

If someone is overweight and doesn't want to change, nothing wrong with that at all. If someone felt pressured to change, did it, and wants to force everyone to do it, well that's their thing. People can listen, and people could just not care.

Besides, the average person is nowhere near perfectly bodied or aims to be that way. If you walk across the street or at a college campus, you see people of all sizes within a block.

• Obesity rates skyrocketed in the last ~3 decades. 2/3 of this country is now overweight or obese. 1/3 is obese. The number is rising.

• To this date, all studies indicate that 95% of people who lose weight will gain it all back (plus more) within five years. The "successful" 5% who keep it off usually still gain a significant amount of weight back, just not as much.

Your explanation to this huge influx of problems seems to be: "our country's will power and discipline dramatically diminished in one generation. Fat people - 2/3rds of this country - are lazy. They need to work harder."

If that's the best answer we can come up with, this country's gonna stay fat. :thumbdown:
:thumbup:
A lot of ignorance in this thread. Sure people can work to improve their overall fitness, but it's a pretty complicated issue. A lot of people get fat if they don't work out every day, even if they don't eat that much. Not everyone has the same natural body type.

That's completely different. Being disfigured due to an unfortunate situation is very different from self-inflicted obesity. The former demands sympathy, the latter derision.

If you want to be a Dr, you need to learn quick that not everyone that is obese is self-inflicted and you can't tell the difference looking at them.

There is more than one disorder, no I'm not going to list them for you, that can affect weight. And some of them are difficult to manage, much less be able to 'cure'.

Thus, while I'm sure a large portion of the 'large' population may have a role in their size, if you can't put aside opinions and look objectively at a patient I fear for any woman with a Thyroid problem that has the unfortunate chance to ask you about how to deal with their weight. :(

You know it is strange, but the vast majority of med students I know are young and fit. I would say that I have met far less fat people than I would expect in a normal sampling of the population. But medical school admissions may be selecting individuals who are disciplined overall rather than just fit.

On a side note:

You will have to do physical exams on each other in medical school. Women are suppose to wear sports bras. Go to the allopathic forum and see for yourself if you don't believe me.

I haven't read much of this thread, so this may have already been said, but:

Most people who attend college come from relatively wealthy families. Middle-upper class families can afford to pay for healthy food, recreational sports, etc, and they can live in safer (less stressful) areas. All of these things make college students more likely to be "fit" than their not-in-college peers. I suspect that people who go to med school are even more likely to be from middle-upper class backgrounds. That's probably why so many of them are fit. I doubt it has much to do with discipline, even though discipline is certainly something that adcoms select for.

Another point: If you're overweight, you can even choose to bring it up in interviews. Your weight will help you sympathize with your overweight patients' concerns and difficulties. If your interviewer decides to give you a hard time about being a good role model, say something like "I would emphasize the benefit that exercise and a good diet can have on my and my patients' health, even if those habits don't result in much weight loss right away." That's legit stuff -- if you read a few articles about it ahead of time, you can easily back your claims up in the interview. I doubt any interviewer would hassle you about your weight, but as long as you're not defensive and seem thoughtful enough to find a way to reach your patients, you'll be fine.

Answer #2 QUOTE:
"If the examinee applies to or is accepted by a medical school, the AAMC may make both the test day photograph and the photograph from the license or passport available, through a secure Web-based software program, for identity verification by the school official. "

okay, technically, it isn't AMCAS that is doing this, it's AAMC, but the point is that the photo is made available to schools when you apply. it doesn't say when--whether it's with the primary, secondary, or once invited to interview--but at the time of matriculation, as you say, is a bit too late in the game for this precautionary measure to be practical. imagine having to remove a fraud from campus and then get someone off the waitlist onto the campus in only a day or two...a logistical hassle that can easily be avoided.

EDIT: for clarity.

Thank you. I knew I was right because I was just at an interview a few weeks ago and the Dean of Admissions explicitly told us that one of the reasons we were getting our pictures taken by the receptionist so that they could compare it to our MCAT picture, just in case. Yeah the adcom likes to have a face to go along with the file they are evaluating, but he said something like "it happened a few years ago at another school...the guy that showed up for the interview looked completely different than the person who earned his MCAT score."

So yeah...they have access to your MCAT picture before/at/after your interview, if they want it. But regardless, they don't seem to care at all about how beautiful you are. Everyone at my interview was attractive anyways, but some of the actual med students there were really ugly.

Thank you. I knew I was right because I was just at an interview a few weeks ago and the Dean of Admissions explicitly told us that one of the reasons we were getting our pictures taken by the receptionist so that they could compare it to our MCAT picture, just in case. Yeah the adcom likes to have a face to go along with the file they are evaluating, but he said something like "it happened a few years ago at another school...the guy that showed up for the interview looked completely different than the person who earned his MCAT score."

So yeah...they have access to your MCAT picture before/at/after your interview, if they want it. But regardless, they don't seem to care at all about how beautiful you are. Everyone at my interview was attractive anyways, but some of the actual med students there were really ugly.

Oh man, I'd love to see a line up of everyone's MCAT pics. That webcam thing was horrible, and everyone was dressed very casually. I was so nervous my facial muscles were shaking so I couldn't smile and surely looked diseased. I seriously couldn't even look at the picture on the computer. I was also wearing all black. (CSB)

Yeah...looking smecksy wasn't really one of my top priorities five minutes before I took the most important test I'd ever taken. I'm hoping there will be some sort of positive, humorous reaction, such as "Wow! This guy really cleaned up well before his interview day" :thumbup:

AND btw, while technically a premed, I have a graduate degree in nutrition and help patients loose weight and formulate diet plans right now.

Might I recommend the documentary "Fat Head." Like any documentary, it's biased, but it gives an interesting perspective on eating healthy and really understanding data. E.g. The lipid hypothesis.....nutritionists and govt. people stand strong by this, but the evidence to support it is seriously lacking. Your degree in Nutrition has probably failed you a bit (given that you claim if calories in is less than calories out you will lose weight). Keep in mind that it will work for a couple of weeks but then your body adjusts to live off the reduced number of calories by slowing your metabolism. Therefore you have to complement your healthy eating habits with exercise.

As a side note......which no one seems to have mentioned yet....BMI is not a very good indicator of health. Instead, the waist-hip ratio is a better indicator of health. It looks more at fat distribution.

Also, I think people on this thread are too caught up in a person's weight = health. I am "thick" but I am really freaking healthy. I work out at least 4 days a week, I was a vegetarian for 10 years, kale is my favorite vegetable, my labs are excellent, bp is always good....etc. I have "skinny" friends who can't even run one lap around a track. So you really cannot judge a person based on their size. Bigger does not necessarily mean lazy or poor, unhealthy food consumption.

So I'm actually the OPs friend. I am 5'6", 204, and have a BMI of 32 so I am obese. I think I carry it pretty well because usually people just think I am chubby (don't have to wear plus sizes or anything) but still, I'm sure you are all right that I would be better received if I was thin and generally more attractive looking.

My problem is that I don't think I can accomplish this in... the 4 or so months that I have before secondaries come out and pictures are requested. So I am really worried about this. Do you guys think I should wait until next year to apply just to give myself more time to get in shape? I've already been out of school for one year so I really don't want to have to wait another just for this. I was planning on submitting my entire app by July 1st. If I can do this, do you guys have any idea of how much time I'll have before I need to start sending photos/going on interviews?

I don't really know what else to do besides either really strict dieting for the next few months or delaying my whole app. I think I could probably lose 10/month but still, that would only get me down to about 170 and a bmi of about 27 (still overweight) by July.

Please spare me that "it's your fault that you're fat and in this position" speech. I gots it. I'm pretty healthy in every other aspect of my life but I'll be honest, I just really like food and after my parents died, I ate too much of it.

As someone with pretty much identical stats (5'6, 200) I would say ABSOLUTELY DO NOT postpone applying. I have multiple acceptances (including in the top 20) and never had any problems while interviewing. Like you I carry my weight well. Looking at my BMI..yes I am overweight. But, if you look at my waist-hip ratio...I am in the healthy range. It's all about distribution of fat.

My weight was never brought up at interviews and I don't think it hindered me at all. I didn't get a single rejection post-interview. If you want to lose weight, that's fine, but do it for you. Yes self-confidence is good to have while interviewing. For you that may mean dropping a few pounds. For me it meant buying a super cute interview outfit that flattered my curves and hid my wobbly bits! It also meant talking passionately about when I know and care about....

PM me if you need more advice. But definitely do not delay applications.

You were eye candy for SDN's ladies yesterday for a good hour. I doubt you're going to get any sympathy about your physical appearance! Lol.

Although, I am also annoyed with my friends who stuff themselves with Taco Bell every night and don't have to work out at all :thumbdown:

My dear Torr, this physique did not happen by accident.
8ec51-Ron_Burgundy.jpg

All this talk about lipids and stuffing your face has me famished. I might indulge in some authentic mexican cuisine this evening.

Let's be respectful of everyone in this thread.

Let's not insult those that aren't in their ideal situation right now.

Peace yo!

No, it didn't affect my chances. However, I fully expect it to catch up with me at some point if I don't get my act together and lose some weight. It's a fact of life. Plus if you're going to be a doctor, you might set at least somewhat of an example.

:thumbup:
A lot of ignorance in this thread. Sure people can work to improve their overall fitness, but it's a pretty complicated issue. A lot of people get fat if they don't work out every day, even if they don't eat that much. Not everyone has the same natural body type.
A proportion that changed drastically in one generation? No.

Our diets, food composition, and lifestyles have changed. People are mostly the same. I blame it on HFCS (cheap calories subsidized by government subsidies of corn), suburban sprawl (no one walks anywhere), and a snowball effect.

The snowball effect is that everyone is getting fatter, and more people don't realize they're fat - http://www.cnn.com/2011/HEALTH/03/01/overweight.doctors.health/index.html

The researchers weren't surprised by the high percentage of overweight people who thought their weight was normal, as several studies in recent years have found comparable -- or higher -- rates. A study published last year that used similar data from government surveys showed that 23% of overweight women and 48% of overweight men considered their weight to be just right.

Post and his colleagues chalk this up to what they call the "'norming up' of society." Roughly two-thirds of U.S. adults are now overweight or obese, and as Americans have grown heavier, the perception of what constitutes a normal weight has changed as well, Post says.

In fact, most of the overweight study participants accurately estimated their BMI. But many didn't see their weight as unhealthy or recognize the need to shed some pounds.

brb acting as though obesity is some major complex health condition and making excuses when it's literally as simple as calories in versus calories out.

Most people don't even count calories

I know I don't know what the calories are in 95% of the food I eat, haha

brb acting as though obesity is some major complex health condition and making excuses when it's literally as simple as calories in versus calories out.

LOL.

You have no understanding of biochemistry.
The first law of thermodynamics is only applicable in a closed system, which a human body is not.

Different macromolecules have different affects on the human body.
Even carbohydrates are not created equal - fructose and glucose have dramatically different affects on the human metabolism. I bet you have no idea what the different effects are, though.

In summary: you dumb.

This is like saying a Hummer should get the same gas mileage as a Civic because it's "as simple as gasoline in, CO2 out."

LOL.

The first law of thermodynamics is only applicable in a closed system, which a human body is not.

Even carbohydrates are not created equal - fructose and glucose have dramatically different affects on the human metabolism. I bet you have no idea what the different effects are, though.

Lolzers, unless you have photosynthetic skin, it's physically impossible to gain weight if your calories out > calories in. Yes, the calories needed differs by person, age, sex, and other factors, but it's still calories out vs. calories in. The food you eat also affects your metabolism (but metabolism = calories out).

That's physics. Sorry, but it applies.

LOL.

tumblr_lhzfmrs9q81qi1tuao1_400.jpg