Do you think being overweight decreases your chances of getting into med school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
OP, I would have to anticipate that the answer is "yes" there is almost certainly a bias toward people of normal weight. This would come out of the tendency people have to like attractive people. It's simply something you and your friend will have to overcome. As far as "being a bad example," I don't know that that is likely, although if you were to seek to go into certain fields, it could create concerns over your ability (e.g., I can't say that I can think of any overweight ER docs or ER nurses at the facilities where I've worked; this may be due to some natural self-selection, as busy EDs often require the staff to move very quickly and someone who is in mediocre health might have difficulty keeping up with the physical demands of the environment -- or even if they didn't, there might be concern that they would and thus preference for the more fit-appearing candidate).

On a side note, are you working on your weight? If you've achieved a lot that could be used in some secondaries.

Members don't see this ad.

Lolzers, unless you have photosynthetic skin, it's physically impossible to gain weight if your calories out > calories in. Yes, the calories needed differs by person, age, sex, and other factors, but it's still calories out vs. calories in. The food you eat also affects your metabolism (but metabolism = calories out).

That's physics. Sorry, but it applies.

I recommend these articles and videos if you are genuinely interested in the obesity problem that's plaguing this country.

http://www.garytaubes.com/2010/12/inanity-of-overeating/

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AVvZP2av5Mk
(part 1 of 10 lectures by Gary Tabues)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dBnniua6-oM
(Sugar: The Bitter Truth by Dr. Lustig)

As Gary Taubes says, saying obesity is caused by overeating is like saying alcoholism is caused by overdrinking. You're stating the obvious, but not coming up with any applicable and workable solutions. The solution is slightly more complex than "will power."

I recommend these articles and videos if you are genuinely interested in the obesity problem that's plaguing this country.

As Gary Taubes says, saying obesity is caused by overeating is like saying alcoholism is caused by overdrinking. You're stating the obvious, but not coming up with any applicable and workable solutions. The solution is slightly more complex than "will power."

Given enough time natural selection should fix the problem, although we're pursuing careers to prevent natural selection. (Kind of ironic, isn't it?)

Members don't see this ad :)

All that's great and I didn't say anything about willpower being the solution.

I'm simply saying that it comes down to calories in vs. calories out. The best way to get people to that point is up for debate, and I am not really disputing anyone's opinion on how to best do that.

But for all the talk about 'biochemistry' and other things, the fundamental thermodynamics of the situation are still energy in vs. energy out.

Given enough time natural selection should fix the problem

Not necessarily, depends on selection pressures. It's easy to imagine scenarios where having a lot of body fat would help survival rather than hinder it. Remember you need to only live long enough to reproduce more than your competition.

not so fast there, pons. amcas does send the photo of you at the mcat to schools. it's to ensure that the same human taking the test is the one that shows up for the interviews, and that this person is the same guy that shows up for orientation and class.

also protects applicants in the case of gunners-with-vengeance, who want to do some serious sabotage work by bombing the test for someone else.

https://www.aamc.org/services/biometrics/

well that's going to be a fantastic picture... i can only imagine what i looked like that day :rolleyes:

Given enough time natural selection should fix the problem, although we're pursuing careers to prevent natural selection. (Kind of ironic, isn't it?)

Coincidentally, metabolic syndrome is linked to infertility :oops:

Scary thing... Some studies indicate that epignetics could promote obesity in the next generation.

http://www.nature.com/scitable/topicpage/obesity-epigenetics-and-gene-regulation-927

http://www.bcm.edu/news/item.cfm?newsID=1166

"There is an obesity epidemic in the United States and it's increasingly recognized as a worldwide phenomenon," said Dr. Robert A. Waterland, assistant professor of pediatrics – nutrition at BCM and lead author of the study that appears in the International Journal of Obesity. "Why is everyone getting heavier and heavier? One hypothesis is that maternal obesity before and during pregnancy affects the establishment of body weight regulatory mechanisms in her baby. Maternal obesity could promote obesity in the next generation."
Waterland and his colleagues studied the effect of maternal obesity in three generations of genetically identical mice, all with the same genetic tendency to overeat. One group of mice received a standard diet; the other a diet supplemented with the nutrients folic acid, vitamin B12, betaine and choline. The special 'methyl supplemented' diet enhances DNA methylation, a chemical reaction that silences genes.

"We wanted to know if, even among genetically identical mice, maternal obesity would promote obesity in her offspring, and if the methyl supplemented diet would affect this process," said Waterland. "Indeed, those on the regular diet got fatter and fatter with each generation. Those in the supplemented group, however, did not."
"We think DNA methylation may play an important role in the development of the hypothalamus (the region of the brain that regulates appetite)," said Waterland.
Also, the obesity problem isn't restricted to humans.
Even animals are getting fatter, LOL
Look:

What's more, the increased body weights and increased likelihood of obesity were found even in animals whose diets and physical activity levels were known to be the same throughout the study period.

Not necessarily, depends on selection pressures. It's easy to imagine scenarios where having a lot of body fat would help survival rather than hinder it. Remember you need to only live long enough to reproduce more than your competition.

Sorry, I guess the dry humor was lost on you. :rolleyes:

Might I recommend the documentary "Fat Head." Like any documentary, it's biased, but it gives an interesting perspective on eating healthy and really understanding data. E.g. The lipid hypothesis.....nutritionists and govt. people stand strong by this, but the evidence to support it is seriously lacking. Your degree in Nutrition has probably failed you a bit (given that you claim if calories in is less than calories out you will lose weight). Keep in mind that it will work for a couple of weeks but then your body adjusts to live off the reduced number of calories by slowing your metabolism. Therefore you have to complement your healthy eating habits with exercise.

As a side note......which no one seems to have mentioned yet....BMI is not a very good indicator of health. Instead, the waist-hip ratio is a better indicator of health. It looks more at fat distribution.

Also, I think people on this thread are too caught up in a person's weight = health. I am "thick" but I am really freaking healthy. I work out at least 4 days a week, I was a vegetarian for 10 years, kale is my favorite vegetable, my labs are excellent, bp is always good....etc. I have "skinny" friends who can't even run one lap around a track. So you really cannot judge a person based on their size. Bigger does not necessarily mean lazy or poor, unhealthy food consumption.

As someone with pretty much identical stats (5'6, 200) I would say ABSOLUTELY DO NOT postpone applying. I have multiple acceptances (including in the top 20) and never had any problems while interviewing. Like you I carry my weight well. Looking at my BMI..yes I am overweight. But, if you look at my waist-hip ratio...I am in the healthy range. It's all about distribution of fat.

My weight was never brought up at interviews and I don't think it hindered me at all. I didn't get a single rejection post-interview. If you want to lose weight, that's fine, but do it for you. Yes self-confidence is good to have while interviewing. For you that may mean dropping a few pounds. For me it meant buying a super cute interview outfit that flattered my curves and hid my wobbly bits! It also meant talking passionately about when I know and care about....

PM me if you need more advice. But definitely do not delay applications.
Isaidthisallb4u...just sayin

Might I recommend the documentary "Fat Head." Like any documentary, it's biased, but it gives an interesting perspective on eating healthy and really understanding data. E.g. The lipid hypothesis.....nutritionists and govt. people stand strong by this, but the evidence to support it is seriously lacking. Your degree in Nutrition has probably failed you a bit (given that you claim if calories in is less than calories out you will lose weight). Keep in mind that it will work for a couple of weeks but then your body adjusts to live off the reduced number of calories by slowing your metabolism. Therefore you have to complement your healthy eating habits with exercise.

As a side note......which no one seems to have mentioned yet....BMI is not a very good indicator of health. Instead, the waist-hip ratio is a better indicator of health. It looks more at fat distribution.

Also, I think people on this thread are too caught up in a person's weight = health. I am "thick" but I am really freaking healthy. I work out at least 4 days a week, I was a vegetarian for 10 years, kale is my favorite vegetable, my labs are excellent, bp is always good....etc. I have "skinny" friends who can't even run one lap around a track. So you really cannot judge a person based on their size. Bigger does not necessarily mean lazy or poor, unhealthy food consumption.

As someone with pretty much identical stats (5'6, 200) I would say ABSOLUTELY DO NOT postpone applying. I have multiple acceptances (including in the top 20) and never had any problems while interviewing. Like you I carry my weight well. Looking at my BMI..yes I am overweight. But, if you look at my waist-hip ratio...I am in the healthy range. It's all about distribution of fat.

My weight was never brought up at interviews and I don't think it hindered me at all. I didn't get a single rejection post-interview. If you want to lose weight, that's fine, but do it for you. Yes self-confidence is good to have while interviewing. For you that may mean dropping a few pounds. For me it meant buying a super cute interview outfit that flattered my curves and hid my wobbly bits! It also meant talking passionately about when I know and care about....

PM me if you need more advice. But definitely do not delay applications.

Did anyone suggest postponing? That seems like a ridiculous idea. It's not like the OP has any guarantee of getting to normal weight by next cycle. The question of possible bias; however, is relatively easy to answer (i.e., some bias is almost guaranteed, even if it is at a subconscious level).

So I had mexican food and damn was it good!!!! Chicken enchiladas with mole sauce, rice, beans, chips/salsa, and flan!!!! And no, I don't like horchata. I am a bad latina.

daaaaaaamn man
that sounds fantastic

do u use flank steak or skirt steak for your mexican dishes? and how can u not like horchata. you are a bad latina indeed! i cant believe u.

do u like red meat?

Members don't see this ad :)
daaaaaaamn man
that sounds fantastic

do u use flank steak or skirt steak for your mexican dishes? and how can u not like horchata. you are a bad latina indeed! i cant believe u.

do u like red meat?

Skirt steak for carne asada... And yes, I love red meat. I love me a medium rare filet minon.

I approve of where this is going. The back and forth about calories and thyroid problems and what not was really getting us nowhere.

Tell me more about carne asada!

well carne asada is fantastic. youve never had it? where r u from Torrster?

OMG. I'm from Cali; Of course I know carne asada. I just appreciate the fact that you're both discussing food :thumbup:.

Proceed :)

TORR: fa sho fa sho id like to buy flank or skirt steak to try my hand at home made carne asada

RXLEA: I rub cream soda and horchata. i never developed a palate for wines. i think they all taste the same. even between red and white wine lool..

Last edited:
well i personally decided to take the safe route, so after I was accepted i knew I had the green light to gain 100 lbs... just got 100 or so more to go, so i can eat for free at the heart attack grill.

Don't flatter yourself. Losing five pounds of extra weight is probably easier for you than it is for fat people.

From the CDC website:
In an environment made constant for food intake and physical activity, individuals respond differently. Some people store more energy as fat in an environment of excess; others lose less fat in an environment of scarcity. The different responses are largely due to genetic variation between individuals.​
It's called "science." Look it up, because I hear it comes in handy for medicine.

lol god people here are ******ed. what you just posted above is for "an environment made constant for food intake and physical activity." Obviously there are differences between individuals. Here's some science: basal metabolic rate. My BMR may be higher than another person, but calories in/calories out still applies for EVERYONE. Yes, body composition varies between individuals and changes differently between individuals given a constant food intake and physical activity, but that has nothing to do with the fundamentals of losing/gaining weight, which as has been stated a million times now, is calories in/calories out (which takes BMR into consideration)

If you're going to be a jerk in your post, maybe you should thoroughly understand sources you quote prior to posting them.

LOL.

You have no understanding of biochemistry.
The first law of thermodynamics is only applicable in a closed system, which a human body is not.

Different macromolecules have different affects on the human body.
Even carbohydrates are not created equal - fructose and glucose have dramatically different affects on the human metabolism. I bet you have no idea what the different effects are, though.

In summary: you dumb.

urine idiot

This is like saying a Hummer should get the same gas mileage as a Civic because it's "as simple as gasoline in, CO2 out."

as I wrote above, have you ever heard of basal metabolic rate? it's different for everyone and works with your stupid car analogy. that's how you calculate calories out.

Lolzers, unless you have photosynthetic skin, it's physically impossible to gain weight if your calories out > calories in. Yes, the calories needed differs by person, age, sex, and other factors, but it's still calories out vs. calories in. The food you eat also affects your metabolism (but metabolism = calories out).

That's physics. Sorry, but it applies.

everythingwentbetterthanexpected.jpg

Get with it folks. This thread is no longer about being overweight.

78586-mexican_food.jpg

i have your milk boiling hot just like you like it back there
:scared:

http://today.msnbc.msn.com/id/41783604

What's so wrong with going back for seconds? I find the demonizing of such an enjoyable and beneficial activity offensive. I'm 6' and only ~170 lbs. Mmm... need... more... food. And what about those who can't seem to gain weight. It's annoying as heck...where are all these weight-gain gimmicks we need? :laugh:

hooooooly crap

The width of each of her individual legs is wider than her torso

She looks like she could chop one entire leg off and just hop around on one, central giant-leg-thing instead of having two

How sure are you that this isn't photoshopped? I once had a teacher show this to the class and not realize it is photoshopped:

5639_2820_steroid-freak.jpg

i hear ya bra

i am an ectomorph. gaining mass is a struggle and eating food is seen as a chore. very high metabolism can be a pain as well. everyone has pressure.

hooooooly crap

The width of each of her individual legs is wider than her torso

She looks like she could chop one entire leg off and just hop around on one, central giant-leg-thing instead of having two

How sure are you that this isn't photoshopped? I once had a teacher show this to the class and not realize it is photoshopped:

5639_2820_steroid-freak.jpg

Well, I suppose it COULD be photoshopped, but it actually doesn't really surprise me that much. Granted, you're right, it does seem like the fat generally piles in the torso and not the legs but I've seen it go all over the place depending upon the person.... I mostly chose that pic b/c it was still decent (i.e., TOS friendly).

If you don't mind seeing things that might be a bit more edgy, there are plenty of more edgy photos out there. Just don't say I don't warn you and, please, use your discretion before clicking here as there is likely to be offensive content and may be inappropriately dressed morbidly obese individuals in these pictures.

I'm sorry, but I have to ask; what is the gender of the person in your profile pic? I'm not trying to offend (if that's you); just curious.

OH YOU HUSH!!!!!!! :laugh:

emo ppl transcend gender identities. we transcend race, religion, and creed because crying is the same in every language..we stare at the abyss and the abyss has stared back at us.

Lol. I'm enjoying this thread much more now.

Hmmm, somewhere between ectomorph and meso... I am thin, long limbs, and mostly muscle. I do have curves in all the right places, though :smuggrin:

THAT IS AWESOME!! do u have time to work out while in pharmacy school? whats your routine like?

THAT IS AWESOME!! do u have time to work out while in pharmacy school? whats your routine like?

I work out every morning during the week if I can. I mostly just hit the elliptical for a good 30 minutes and then the rower or bike for another 30 minutes. Do some crunches and then a quick 10 minute sprint on the treadmill and I am good. It's hard to keep up the motivation though. I have classes from 8-2 or 3pm most days and on lab day I go later. I also work in a research lab so sometimes I am at school late. Then there is studying and working on projects.... on weekends I work 20 hours in a city that is 2 hours a way and I stay overnight up there. So, in summation, my life sux right now. For instance, it is Spring Break and here I am studying for my Infectious Disease exam that is on Wednesday.

I work out every morning during the week if I can. I mostly just hit the elliptical for a good 30 minutes and then the rower or bike for another 30 minutes. Do some crunches and then a quick 10 minute sprint on the treadmill and I am good. It's hard to keep up the motivation though. I have classes from 8-2 or 3pm most days and on lab day I go later. I also work in a research lab so sometimes I am at school late. Then there is studying and working on projects.... on weekends I work 20 hours in a city that is 2 hours a way and I stay overnight up there. So, in summation, my life sux right now. For instance, it is Spring Break and here I am studying for my Infectious Disease exam that is on Wednesday.

my god.

youre such an industrious person. i have never been like that. im quite lazy. have you always been such a go-getter? i need to learn how to pick up my game in these career-oriented matters.

good ruck with your exam.

my god.

youre such an industrious person. i have never been like that. im quite lazy. have you always been such a go-getter? i need to learn how to pick up my game in these career-oriented matters.

good ruck with your exam.

Pretty much (aside from some time in undergrad where I had way too much fun). I am pretty Type A when it comes to my career... I just consider myself driven.