Do you think PDs may be in bed with hospitals??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hfine

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I interviewed with several hospitals and I got a very nice, hand written post-interview love letter from my second ranked program. My home PD pushed me a lot to change my second ranked school to my top preference so I would for sure match. Every time I said it was my second best but somehow between the hospital and the PD I got sort of convinced that what I called my second best may actually be the best. I ended up putting it at the top. I matched there. It’s a good place, but I think I could have done better and I am now full of regret. Do you have any similar experiences? I think PDs may be too much in bed with hospitals, so to speak, and that could not be good for students.

Members don't see this ad.

I think your PD knew you, the program, and thought you would be a great fit. You matched in a great program and now you will have a great education there. Best of luck!

Reactions: 1 user
I interviewed with several hospitals and I got a very nice, hand written post-interview love letter from my second ranked program. My home PD pushed me a lot to change my second ranked school to my top preference so I would for sure match. Every time I said it was my second best but somehow between the hospital and the PD I got sort of convinced that what I called my second best may actually be the best. I ended up putting it at the top. I matched there. It’s a good place, but I think I could have done better and I am now full of regret. Do you have any similar experiences? I think PDs may be too much in bed with hospitals, so to speak, and that could not be good for students.
How did that happen? There is thread after thread on here, not including the official material provided to help that all tell you the same thing...rank the programs in order of your preference.

Nothing else should matter.

Happens every year though to some poor customer who didn't know better somehow.

TPP

Sent from my XT1710-02 using Tapatalk

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Every we have the same dumb question and the answer is always the same:

Rank according to your preference.

..."but what if program x says they really, really like me and will rank me number 1"

..."but what if I don't think I have any chance of matching at the place I really, really like, but I interviewed there."

There is no game or magic formula to the match except to rank according to your preference of the programs you interview at and rank any program that you would rather end up at than be unmatched.

Reactions: 6 users
I think PDs may be too much in bed with hospitals
Ignoring your misunderstanding of the match process, I don't even understand this claim. How does your story support this quoted line?

Reactions: 8 users
Maybe the "in bed with hospitals" wasn't supported or clear in my original post but the advise I was getting from my PD made it feel like my PD was very much attached to my second best school and seemingly had some personal investments in the school - maybe he knew some faculty over there and they like it when he sends good students or some other connections. In hindsight, he seemed a little too eager about the school and was very convincing in wanting me to move them up.

I can't imagine that I'm the only one who has experienced this.

Maybe the "in bed with hospitals" wasn't supported or clear in my original post but the advise I was getting from my PD made it feel like my PD was very much attached to my second best school and seemingly had some personal investments in the school - maybe he knew some faculty over there and they like it when he sends good students or some other connections. In hindsight, he seemed a little too eager about the school and was very convincing in wanting me to move them up.

:rolleyes:

Reactions: 1 users
If you ask for 10 opinions on your rank list, you’re going to get 10 answers, and none of them will be unbiased.

Current M3s and beyond: RANK ACCORDING TO *YOUR* PREFERENCE. Input from your spouse/SO is okay and encouraged because they’ll be moving with you. Nobody else gets a vote.

Reactions: 4 users

You asked for your PD's opinion and he gave it to you -- maybe he just thought you would be a good fit for the program?

I think you're over analyzing this.

I'm so confused by this post.... and the many others just like it.

Someone please explain this to me if I'm off here (seriously)

If OP ranked their actual first choice first and the program their PD wanted them to rank second (where they wanted to rank it), and the first program didn't rank them at all (no match), wouldn't they still have matched at the second program since the program ranked them highly?

I seriously don't understand the point of ranking somewhere that's NOT your first choice first, especially if you received "love letters" from other programs and are therefore pretty convinced those programs are going to rank you highly and you have a great chance of matching if you rank those programs lets say #2 or #3. Why NOT rank your top choice first even if you have no clue where they're ranking you? If you have other programs you think are going to rank you highly near the top of your list doesn't that give you a safety net if your #1 doesn't rank you at all?

Am I misunderstanding the match system? I have very little experience with the match since I will be starting med school in the fall so I am genuinely trying to understand the logic behind this. somebody help me

If OP ranked their actual first choice first and the program their PD wanted them to rank second (where they wanted to rank it), and the first program didn't rank them at all (no match), wouldn't they still have matched at the second program since the program ranked them highly?

I seriously don't understand the point of ranking somewhere that's NOT your first choice first, especially if you received "love letters" from other programs and are therefore pretty convinced those programs are going to rank you highly and you have a great chance of matching if you rank those programs lets say #2 or #3. Why NOT rank your top choice first even if you have no clue where they're ranking you? If you have other programs you think are going to rank you highly near the top of your list doesn't that give you a safety net if your #1 doesn't rank you at all?

Am I misunderstanding the match system? I have very little experience with the match since I will be starting med school in the fall so I am genuinely trying to understand the logic behind this. somebody help me
NEW VIDEO - How the Matching Algorithm Works - The Match, National Resident Matching Program

My goodness not this **** again.

Rank the programs in the order that YOU like them. If you let non-family members influence that decision you are a fool. If you decide to get influenced then come back to an anonymous forum and whine and post conspiracy nonsense, then you'd be OP.

Yep, your PD definitely got monetary benefit from you going to that particular residency.

/s

Yep, your PD definitely got monetary benefit from you going to that particular residency.

/s

pic of @hfine's PD

scroogemcduck.jpg

Reactions: 4 users
If you ask for 10 opinions on your rank list, you’re going to get 10 answers, and none of them will be unbiased.

Current M3s and beyond: RANK ACCORDING TO *YOUR* PREFERENCE. Input from your spouse/SO is okay and encouraged because they’ll be moving with you. Nobody else gets a vote.

100% this. I talked to others about my rank list to bounce ideas off them and help myself figure out the best order for me, but my wife was the only one other than me who had any actual input into the final order.

That’s exactly what would have happened. Some students are so used to playing the game, though, that they treat their rank list like a game, too, and in the process, they end up screwing themselves over.

Guys don't listen to these gunners. They are just trying to keep all the good residency spots for themselves!

Reactions: 7 users
It always worries me how people smart enough to make it into and through medical school can have no common sense then be so self-centered that they blame others for what ultimately was their choice to make

Reactions: 5 users
I bet your old advisor and new Residency Program Director are in bed together right now in a post-coital cuddle laughing at how they played you for a fool.

No. This is unfortunately on you for not ranking based on your preferences. I don't think hospital administration spends a great deal of resources and thought worrying about which residents they recruit. They'll probably hire some reputable MD and call them the PD and then give them free-reign and only get involved if a resident does something that makes the hospital look bad.

Last edited: